What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 17

CyberKev

Staff member
Its hard to believe that it was just a week ago that I was slamming the door shut on the final 8 for this season! Five losses to top eight incumbents and fine wins to Essendon & Hawthorn have opened things up again, which is certainly good for football. I'm also thinking that Blade & Chileman will have plenty to be happy about after this round of matches...

FRIDAY JULY 25 AWST

West Coast vs Hawthorn
Subiaco 6:40 PM AWST

The Eagles received a wake-up call last week when they were well beaten by the classy port side and will be keen to get back on the horse at home. Hawthorn stared into oblivion before charging home in the final quarter to roll the Demons. They would be thrilled that this comeback was largely engineered by four of its young guns, but it will have to lift as the next four weeks are essentially finals matches for the Hawks. The Eagles are without big Gardiner and the capable Fletcher, but Hawthorn is missing half-a-dozen of its best side and may still be without Crawford. West Coast is always tough at home and will be buoyed by the mid-week resigning of classy youngster, Chris Judd... Eagles by 24 pts

SATURDAY JULY 26 AEST

Kangaroos vs Geelong
Manuka 1:40 PM AEST

Are the Kangaroos gone?! I've been hinting at their demise all season, but they've steadfastly resisted the fall. There was no shame in a narrow loss to a talented, but ever wayward Saints side, despite coach Laidley thinking otherwise. They're not a shabby side the Roos, they have a lot of heart, a couple of fine youngsters and a handful of hardened veterans. The Cats are very much the reverse of this and looked pathetic in being run off the park by a desperate pack of Hounds last Sunday. The Roos have more to play for and are the safer bet here, purely because its at Manuka, but a Cat win would not surprise... Kangaroos by 18 pts

Melbourne vs Essendon
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Hawthorn would surely be the most well known of Essendon's bitches, but Melbourne have fared as poorly in recent times and will not improve that dismal record here. The Demons would still be reeling from allowing an undermanned Hawk side roll over the top of them with perverse ease last week and its almost impossible to see them winning this one. Essendon are still average, but their upper echelon players still command respect and Lloyd and Hird could almost win this game off their own boots. Melbourne cannot make the eight no matter what happens, while Essendon is favoured to sneak into the finals courtesy of a (relatively) easy run into September... Essendon by 40 pts

Western Bulldogs vs Richmond
Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

I've been on the Dogs all week, but I've decided to switch at the last minute to give Richmond one last chance. The Tigers need to win every game from here to make the eight (they won't), while Western has its sights set on avoiding the Spoon. The Dogs were good last week and have had better recent form than their opponents, but all too often they finish-up as honourable losers. The Richmond side, particularly with Kane Johnson back in the midfield, and (on paper at least) man the Hounds up well. Its been a tough week for the Tigers and if the team can't win for Frawley after the kerfuffle from yesterday then they probably won't win again this season and the Board should move quickly to end Spud's tenure. Bad news for the luckless Cupid though, I feel... Tigers by 15 pts

Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide
Gabba 7:10 PM AEST

Hmmm... Tasty. How big are the stakes on offer here?! The Gabba has been something of a fortress for the Lions (they win 9 in 10 games there), but the scars of the Eagles hiding are still evident, they know they stole the last game there from the Hawks and they were battling against a mediocre Bomber side last week. Port are on top despite looking patchy, but would love to sink the slipper into a wounded opponent here. They'll do it too, taking the Power to the brink of another minor premiership. The Lionss are tired, slow, missing key players, down on confidence and (stunningly) lacking in creativity. They'll be as brave as they always are, but Port has the hunger, posie and run... Power by 20 pts

SUNDAY JULY 27 AEST

Sydney vs Fremantle
Sydney Cricket Ground 1:10 PM AEST

I suspect that this will be a game well worth watching. A win for Sydney could put them within percentage of top spot, while Freo cannot countenance a loss given its precarious place in the 8 and tough run home. I'm a big fan of the Dockers, as they'll be mega in a couple of seasons, even if they do miss the finals here. I'm not a huge warp for the Swans, but they've confounded the critics all year. The Swans have been getting sensational service from stars Hall, O'Loughlin & Goodes and will need similar to get across the line here. Freo will hope that they can get control of the game in the air, although they do have the runners to match wits with Sydney on the ground. Swans should get up due to home ground advantage, but it will be interesting... Swans by 10 pts

Collingwood vs Carlton
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

How could you argue a case for the Blues here? Sure they fought hard against Sydney after standing them up a huge start, but its still just a fortnight ago since the side registered its biggest ever defeat against West Coast. Its also worth remembering that Collingwood beat them by a triple figure margin in the corresponding fixture last season. Carlton has the weakest list in the comp and is the worst side going around. They will not win another game this season and will be fodder for a cruising Collingwood side with its eyes on a top four finish. The Magpies can rarely afford to get through a game with less than intensive work output, but this is one time that they can go half pace and still win easily. A total non-event... Magpies by 86 pts

Adelaide vs St Kilda
AAMI Stadium 2:10 PM ACST

Vengeance will be sweet indeed for Adelaide here. There still hasn't been a bigger upset this season than Adelaide getting rolled by the Saints, and you can bet it hasn't been forgotten. A win here could take Adelaide to second should results fall its way, while a loss will almost certainly see it fall from the four. St Kilda were good against the Kangaroos last week, but Adelaide in Adelaide is a huge step up, particularly when the Saints are all but crippled in the ruck. The Saints lack the poise, class, willingness and structure to get up here and will be well beaten all across the park. Still, if they get rid of Cornflakes Thomas they could make the eight next year, no worries... Crows by 58 pts

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
The Gripes of Kev

Take a Letter, Greg Miller...

Another week another two-bob drama at Tigerland. It appears that the Club's Communication Manager has done some digging around and discovered that (pregnant pause, followed by drumbeats and flashing lights) Danny Frawley is not exactly considered a coaching doyen among the Tiger supporters. This is indeed the stuff that driveting memos are made of and worth leaking to the media world at large I don't think! Personally, I think the drivel that Miller has been leaking from his lips about Frawley in recent weeks is infinitely more disturbing, but eight successive losses will result in a rarefied environment.

Just take the points and smile, Choco!

Port Adelaide might be riding high on the top of the table at the moment, but Choco Williams is anything but the most credible person in the game right now. I never thought I'd see a coach who could outsook Kevin Sheedy, but Choco set new standards to live down to with his appalling outburst after the Bulldog match a fortnight back. The Bulldogs don't possess the manpower to bully sickly kittens in a cardboard cattery, much less the hard nuts (physically, at least) in the Port line-up. Choco's headhunting asssertions were the most ridiculous aired in years and were the latest in a series of sooky comments that have the Power mentor deeply disrespected by large sectors of the AFL fan base. Its not hard to see why the Power have such a dismal record with mental fragility when their coach carries on like he does!

Chris who?

Can someone clue me in on this Chris Judd character? I've heard a lot of crazy talk about some youngster ignoring VIC clubs to re-sign with West Coast for $350k+ a season. They reckon he can play a bit, but I've never heard of him! If he was that good you'd reckon they'd talk about him a bit more in the media, wouldn't you? Its just like that Cathy Freeman girl... Slow news days of late, it would seem.

We'd be better off if he got the (talk to the) hand job!

The good oil has it that Andrew Demetriou will get the Head Job at AFL headquarters in the very near future. Keeerist on a popsicle stick, if he gets the Head Job you can bet dollars to donuts that it'll be the clubs and fans who end-up taking it up the... ah so that's where I left my old copy of the footy record... Fruit me tingles, I never thought it would get worse than Demetriou turning out in a Hawthorn jumper! :(

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

West Coast vs Hawthorn - WC
Kangaroos vs Geelong - Kanga's
Melbourne vs Essendon - 'Dons
Western Bulldogs vs Richmond - WESTERN :twisted:
Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide - Port
Sydney vs Fremantle - Sydney
Collingwood vs Carlton - C'wood
Adelaide vs St Kilda - Adelaide

Why cant a professional football team play for four freakin quarters? Western clocked off at the end of the third & made sure eveyone knew about it. It was a shameful thing to watch no matter how bad we needed the win. But in saying that I really want to see the Dogs smash Richmond this week. I still think we should bring back Libba just for these games & really give the skirts something to whinge about. I have complete & utter disdain for Richmond & the amount whinging that spews forth from their cranial rectums. :badgrin:

Aside from that, what price for a non-melbourne GF :?: