What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL STYLE DRAFT

merahputih

Juniors
The competition this year has been fairly predictable except for Canberra probably surprising many with their high finish and of course our side's slide to the bottom (enough said about that). The usual suspects rose to the top: the Storm with Bellamy and a seemingly bottomless pool of young players pushing for the top spots, ditto for the Roosters with a top coach and able to identify and attract top juniors and established stars, then a bit of a gap between them and Souths, Manly and the rest make up the numbers. I can't see this situation changing in the immediate future, especially for the Dragons who now have zero brand power. It all makes for a lop sided competition with the same handful of teams being the only serious contenders every year.

I don't have an in depth knowledge of the AFL Draft, but it seems all clubs have a pick of juniors in November each year based on each clubs ladder position that year and I think there are regional areas involved. There is also a trade window for top players like in the NRL. In other words the weakest clubs get first choice of promising young players. With our problems in developing and promoting or attracting promising juniors would this system have any value?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My favourite part of the AFL draft is the colour system, where players can nominate their favourite three colours and teams with any those colour get a priority pick for them.

BLM01

First Grade
The competition this year has been fairly predictable except for Canberra probably surprising many with their high finish and of course our side's slide to the bottom (enough said about that). The usual suspects rose to the top: the Storm with Bellamy and a seemingly bottomless pool of young players pushing for the top spots, ditto for the Roosters with a top coach and able to identify and attract top juniors and established stars, then a bit of a gap between them and Souths, Manly and the rest make up the numbers. I can't see this situation changing in the immediate future, especially for the Dragons who now have zero brand power. It all makes for a lop sided competition with the same handful of teams being the only serious contenders every year.

I don't have an in depth knowledge of the AFL Draft, but it seems all clubs have a pick of juniors in November each year based on each clubs ladder position that year and I think there are regional areas involved. There is also a trade window for top players like in the NRL. In other words the weakest clubs get first choice of promising young players. With our problems in developing and promoting or attracting promising juniors would this system have any value?

Cant happen as the RLPA wont allow it as it is a restrain of trade
And unlike AFL we dont have the lower grade or junior depth that would even make it viable

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Some kind of Draft or Transfer window is gong to be discussed in the off-season which will include the NRL, Coaches and RLPA.

BLM01

First Grade
Some kind of Draft or Transfer window is gong to be discussed in the off-season which will include the NRL, Coaches and RLPA.
It is called a Transfer Window which normally goes for 365 days.
The NRL think everyone will stick to their rules if they make it say June only. As if.....
They dont even stick to the rules that you cant speak, feel or sound out a player before Nov 1 of the year their contract is up.
Speaking off contracts..no one abides by them either
50% of NRL admin and its make up is a waste of time and a money guzzler machine
They will probably get some so called analytics expert from some poor village somewhere in the world and pay them top dollar to come up with the plan..of course to show political correctness as an equal opportunity employer

Even if you got a quarter of the kangaroos next year, they would undergo Maryfication and the experiment would end pretty suddenly.

All things considered, maybe the admin, recruiters and other club heavyweights are better off in a draft.

Might be news to your board, but winning starts in the office.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Cant happen as the RLPA wont allow it as it is a restrain of trade
And unlike AFL we dont have the lower grade or junior depth that would even make it viable
It won't happen because Nick Politis doesn't want it to happen. He is the reason that the draft was defeated in the early 90's. A draft would not allow Easts the freedom to exploit the current system.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Matty Johns interviewed John Singleton. A must watch if you can get it.

Singo gives a huge insight into Politis
business cash methods and how we have all been taken for a ride.

Interesting how we all "joke" about a Politis, who has had deep and profound repercussions to all other NRL clubs.

Singo also mentioned how close Souths were getting the central coast franchise with huge funds and investors available and also
Investing and building a new stadium.
The result would have increased roarters junior base in southern sydney.
Uncle Nick ofcourse in full support.

Anyway with that failing with NRL not issuing a liscence, i can add Politis has bought several liscenced clubs and leagues clubs in central coast whereby ensuring the roarters have their foorprint in that area and upcoming future stars. Perhaps back stabing Singo and Nrl at the same time.

For the games sake I hope the NRL control this bloke, bring in the draft and stop
3rd player payments. Will uncle Nick stop his business accumen? I doubt it but the draft will certainly help deliver a
better chance of a level playing field.

BLM01

First Grade
Matty Johns interviewed John Singleton. A must watch if you can get it.

Singo gives a huge insight into Politis
business cash methods and how we have all been taken for a ride.

Interesting how we all "joke" about a Politis, who has had deep and profound repercussions to all other NRL clubs.

Singo also mentioned how close Souths were getting the central coast franchise with huge funds and investors available and also
Investing and building a new stadium.
The result would have increased roarters junior base in southern sydney.
Uncle Nick ofcourse in full support.

Anyway with that failing with NRL not issuing a liscence, i can add Politis has bought several liscenced clubs and leagues clubs in central coast whereby ensuring the roarters have their foorprint in that area and upcoming future stars. Perhaps back stabing Singo and Nrl at the same time.

For the games sake I hope the NRL control this bloke, bring in the draft and stop
3rd player payments. Will uncle Nick stop his business accumen? I doubt it but the draft will certainly help deliver a
better chance of a level playing field.
Even getting rid of Politis now...wont help. You will have to wipe out the RLPA.
good luck with that!
No player draft is coming here...it will also be defeated in the courts as a restraint of trade if they try.

SBD82

Coach
How would a draft fix the issues at our club?

Recruitment isn’t our problem, developing players is.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Terry Hill was the one who Easts got to fight the draft.
Dennis Tutty predates Terry Hill by some 25 years.

The RLPA's award for those who have done the most for players' rights is called the "Dennis Tutty Clubman of the Year Award".

TruSaint

Referee
Dennis Tutty predates Terry Hill by some 25 years.

The RLPA's award for those who have done the most for players' rights is called the "Dennis Tutty Clubman of the Year Award".

Tutty commenced legal action in May 1969.

He fought for over two years for the right for players to transfer to another club. The New South Wales Equity Court granted Tutty's application to have the League's transfer system declared invalid, deeming it an 'unreasonable restraint of trade'.

The League appealed to the High Court of Australia but on 13 December 1971, the High Court's judgement upheld the Equity Court's decision.

The implications of Tutty's successful legal action were quickly felt throughout the game. In the first two months, South Sydney lost three internationals, John O'Neill, Ray Branighan and Ron Coote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Tutty

RedVDave

First Grade
The AFL is light years ahead of the NRL in terms of professionalism, members, figures and how the game is run.