What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL to launch 2nd sydney team in 2012

mark123

Juniors
omg,

Listen. I used to be aussie_cull, you may remember me.

I was the person who in 1998!!!!! hello!!!! 10 years ahead of you NRL DINOSAURS who called for progressive action way back then! While someone is screwing the girl you really like, I was telling you way back when to make a move on the uppity-little b!tch, cos she aint "all that" and her tits are just tits, and you shouldn't lie when she asks if you were looking at them. I could even be f-ing her now, i dont know, i got so many...

And often on here my messages are about smartening up to whats actually happening in reality and how to change to be on the crest of the wave, lest it wipes you out.

Many people agreed with me.

Now 10 years on, look at whats happened. Nothing.

You are storming the beach at normandy....you just got off the boat that carried you there, admist machine gun fire....hell you only survived because the gunner was mowing down your friends in the boats beside you....Instead of standing in the same spot while german soldiers lock onto you and shoot you, you better move forward.

If the NRL were a soldier, I think they would have died in basic training.

Fitzgerald needed to go a long time ago. I dont care how he goes, just that HE GOES. He is useless. He is the ceo of an infulential organisation, but he does nothing to promote league or his club. He is using 10% of the potential there.

All rl clubs needed to diversify their income and grow financially until they had an abundance. If you can't be in that position, one that can weather ANY storm, then why the fk arent you allying yourself to any other damn club that can stand and survive with you? Too much pride. Even the fighting fking irish put aside their differences now and then and have a dig at grand old england!!

How pathetic. Like a wounded animal you let another come in and take you. You have strength, nrl, but you dont have guts, and you can die, and we will rejoice that evolution has taken you away, because what you present to us is weakness, and you can f off and die if you dont want to fight for your life. No one wants to watch anything that represents that.

But I'll take souths any day.

You know what needs to be done. But no fker is doing it? What is wrong with this picture?

My/peoples mistake is that I/we thought these obvious things would be easily recognised by people who lived and worked every day in rugby league....for heavens sake, most of us on here only stop by a max a few days per week with league, how the hell couldnt someone who worked in league day in and day out not see.

Have you guys really missed the boat, or are you just done pulling your fingers out your butts to play catch-up? If you want to talk chances, then you are at the longer odds.

You are fighting against a sport/s that have positive-light media contracts which spread the "good" word about their sport, and require each network that shows them to run no less than 5 stories per year about how the game is spreading and is even greater than other sports...you are fighting against someone who has sponsorships DOUBLE what you have....a sport that gets average crowds twice the size of yours.....has a perceived geographical reach double the width of yours, and indeed twice as much as yours....a sport who has members in the 10's of thousands while you only have/had a few hundred.....a sport thats club revenue is 2-3 times bigger than yours....a sport thats tv contract is twice what yours is, is on way more channels than yours is and is positioned on tv way better than yours, AND is on countless radio stations because they dont give exclusion contracts because it stops spreading the word... and a sport who can throw 100 million dollars onto a project just because they want to - its available money. A sport that for all its shortcomings, is completely wiping the floor with you.

you weigh 10 kgs, HE weights 1 TON.

Do yourself a favour and sit down and write out a list like I have, but this list will be for you.....and on it list everything about them, then sit in a room somewhere and come up with ideas about how to combat each point.

That might be a good place to start. I still believe in you.

But remember many people, including me, said back in 1998 you needed to get a move on to improve such things....so you are running ten years behind and your job is going to be 10 times harder now.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
mark123 said:
omg,

Listen. I used to be aussie_cull, you may remember me.

I was the person who in 1998!!!!! hello!!!! 10 years ahead of you NRL DINOSAURS who called for progressive action way back then! While someone is screwing the girl you really like, I was telling you way back when to make a move on the uppity-little b!tch, cos she aint "all that" and her tits are just tits, and you shouldn't lie when she asks if you were looking at them. I could even be f-ing her now, i dont know, i got so many...

And often on here my messages are about smartening up to whats actually happening in reality and how to change to be on the crest of the wave, lest it wipes you out.

Many people agreed with me.

Now 10 years on, look at whats happened. Nothing.

You are storming the beach at normandy....you just got off the boat that carried you there, admist machine gun fire....hell you only survived because the gunner was mowing down your friends in the boats beside you....Instead of standing in the same spot while german soldiers lock onto you and shoot you, you better move forward.

If the NRL were a soldier, I think they would have died in basic training.

Fitzgerald needed to go a long time ago. I dont care how he goes, just that HE GOES. He is useless. He is the ceo of an infulential organisation, but he does nothing to promote league or his club. He is using 10% of the potential there.

All rl clubs needed to diversify their income and grow financially until they had an abundance. If you can't be in that position, one that can weather ANY storm, then why the fk arent you allying yourself to any other damn club that can stand and survive with you? Too much pride. Even the fighting fking irish put aside their differences now and then and have a dig at grand old england!!

How pathetic. Like a wounded animal you let another come in and take you. You have strength, nrl, but you dont have guts, and you can die, and we will rejoice that evolution has taken you away, because what you present to us is weakness, and you can f off and die if you dont want to fight for your life. No one wants to watch anything that represents that.

But I'll take souths any day.

You know what needs to be done. But no fker is doing it? What is wrong with this picture?

My/peoples mistake is that I/we thought these obvious things would be easily recognised by people who lived and worked every day in rugby league....for heavens sake, most of us on here only stop by a max a few days per week with league, how the hell couldnt someone who worked in league day in and day out not see.

Have you guys really missed the boat, or are you just done pulling your fingers out your butts to play catch-up? If you want to talk chances, then you are at the longer odds.

You are fighting against a sport/s that have positive-light media contracts which spread the "good" word about their sport, and require each network that shows them to run no less than 5 stories per year about how the game is spreading and is even greater than other sports...you are fighting against someone who has sponsorships DOUBLE what you have....a sport that gets average crowds twice the size of yours.....has a perceived geographical reach double the width of yours, and indeed twice as much as yours....a sport who has members in the 10's of thousands while you only have/had a few hundred.....a sport thats club revenue is 2-3 times bigger than yours....a sport thats tv contract is twice what yours is, is on way more channels than yours is and is positioned on tv way better than yours, AND is on countless radio stations because they dont give exclusion contracts because it stops spreading the word... and a sport who can throw 100 million dollars onto a project just because they want to - its available money. A sport that for all its shortcomings, is completely wiping the floor with you.

you weigh 10 kgs, HE weights 1 TON.

Do yourself a favour and sit down and write out a list like I have, but this list will be for you.....and on it list everything about them, then sit in a room somewhere and come up with ideas about how to combat each point.

That might be a good place to start. I still believe in you.

But remember many people, including me, said back in 1998 you needed to get a move on to improve such things....so you are running ten years behind and your job is going to be 10 times harder now.

".......BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!"

(good post mate)

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is this what is happening to rugby league?

Young (2000) defines marginalization as exclusion from meaningful participation in society, partly because the labour market does not or cannot accommodate them, proving to be one of the most dangerous forms of oppression. Marginalization has the ability to cause severe material deprivation, as well in its most extreme form can exterminate groups. Minority groups such as individuals living with disabilities (physical or mental), women, racial minorities, Aboriginal communities, elderly individuals, single mothers, and homosexuals may all face certain forms of marginalization due to dominant discourse(s) within the structures of society (Mullaly, 2007).

Material deprivation is the most common result of marginalization when looking at how unfairly material resources (such as food and shelter) are dispersed in society. Along with material deprivation, marginalized individuals are also excluded from services, programs, and policies (Young, 2000).

Marginalization can be understood within three levels: individual, community, and global-structural / policies. Although examples are listed within these three specific levels, one must recognize the intersecting nature of marginalization and its capacity to overlap within each.

bobmar28

Bench
Le KooK said:
I get the feeling the pokies tax issue will be Gallop's 'out' concerning any off-field topic for the foreseeable future.

"Not our fault, blame the government"

Still can't quite believe the AFL are going to have a 2nd Sydney team before we cast the net anywhere. Unbelievable.
Before we cast the net anywhere? What about the Titans? When did the AFL last introduce a new team?

Slackboy72

Coach
LeagueXIII said:
Is this what is happening to rugby league?

Not in NSW yet. But if Gallop just wants to antagonise and blame everyone but his own organisation for the AFL move then it may happen in NSW too.

I would say that this is happening in womens sport however. It also happened to professional soccer for many years but they fought and in no small part because of the socceroos and the broadcast of EPL are getting themselves seen as part of mainstream sport in Australia.

Lego_Man

First Grade
The difference between what we're doing and what the AFL is doing is that we are trying, at a snail's pace, to reclaim areas that were once ours. Once upon a time WE were the national game - we had the GC, Perth and Adelaide + an iron grip on NSW, ACT and queensland. The AFL is putting 10x the resources into areas that theyve never been strong.

j5o6hn

Juniors
From watch the News on fox or may be the ABC in Perth the had the Mayor?? of Blacktown on and he was blaming league for ignoring Blacktown something about a centre of excellence or something like that.
If the NRL wants to get going in this they have to start to play politics I would be sounding out candidates to stand against Kelly in Blacktown and may be other positions,I wouls also be approaching the political process with the view to getting rid of Dilemma who is incompentent,cause you will have to play the political game so why not get the ball rolling now.
To the gentleman above who said he was warning about this for years there are a few of us on this Forum who have been doing that, but have been howled down with statements like "Sydney people don,t like joining things" ect well the Swans have over 30,000 members if they can do why the hell cant the fat arsed people in the clubs do the same.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The whole arguement of league being too hard on little kids is stupid. Mini and mod football have taken every precaution to ensure the younger kids are not hurt. But the difference is the game still resembles the actual game.

macavity

Referee
i would be more concerned with my kids playing AFL or soccer. although the hits aren't as big, they come from anywhere, and injuries occur not through impact, but from not being ready for the impact. add to that the jumping and sliding respectively in the games, and is it any wonder they have leg problems, even as kids?

my kids will be playing league... i would be a little disappointed if they wanted to play soccer... and I would disown them if they showed an interest in AFL. luckily I live a few hundred metres from one of the best junior RL clubs in the country, and based on my wife and I, I cant see them having that weedy build best for those other games.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Indeed, AFL players actually get worse acute injuries like shoulders/knees etc coming from falls and impact speeds i believe. I cant really see league being that much more dangerous for "little johnny". You may get a couple of head knocks but at least you wont need a knee reconstruction...

Slackboy72

Coach
It's too late people:

Eight years ago there was just one junior AFL club in the Penrith district. Now there are seven.

Rapid growth like this is being repeated all over western Sydney.

In a two-year period the AFL grew its primary inter-school competitions from 24 teams in Sydney to 352.

I do recall Mark Geyer warning everyone about this years ago. If you thought league could save itself think again.

In Affectionate Remembrance of
AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE,
which died in western Sydney on
16th February, 2008,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing
friends and acquaintances
----
R.I.P.
----
N.B. — The body will be cremated and the
ashes taken to Victoria.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23231083-23211,00.html

Kennett blasts expansion plans

By Chip Le Grand
February 18, 2008

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett described as "ham-fisted" the AFL's handling of its expansion plans into western Sydney and Gold Coast, with the former Victoria premier demanding to see a business plan for a 17th and 18th team before his club backs either proposal.

Kennett, an in-principle supporter of an expanded national competition, said the AFL had continued a worrying pattern of disregard for the clubs by failing to consult them over plans for a second team in NSW and Queensland by 2012.

He questioned whether the league's priority was to establish two new teams, take "junket" trips to Dubai or plough money into the "rubbish" idea of international expansion in South Africa.

Speaking on SEN radio from Launceston, where the Hawks on Sunday played Sydney in a NAB Cup match, Kennett said the AFL even appeared uncertain about its own time frame, with commercial operations manager Gillon McLachlan contradicting commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick's 2012 deadline for a team in western Sydney.

"They haven't even got their storyline right," a frustrated Kennett said. "The reality is the AFL isn't very good at what they practice at times. My worry is that the AFL has these ideas, in part, off the top of their brain."

All clubs have long been aware of the league's long-term ambition to have a second team in Sydney, but the revised deadline - and particularly the way it was announced by Fitzpatrick in an interview in Saturday's Fairfax newspapers - has further strained relations between the competition's head office and the 16 teams.

The clubs were furious this summer when the AFL announced restricted interchange rules for the pre-season competition without consulting the coaches. Those not involved have since watched with bemusement the AFL spend-athon, first in South Africa and more recently in Dubai, as the league tries to secure offshore recruiting grounds and an international profile.

This followed the AFL's botched negotiations with North Melbourne late last year which resulted in the club spurning a $100 million offer to relocate permanently to the Gold Coast by 2010.

Until midway through last year, when the NRL Gold Coast Titans were well received by the local market, the AFL's deadline for a second Queensland team had been 2015. At the time its offer was made to a divided North Melbourne board, the league had not secured an appropriate Gold Coast venue.

"You have to admit, the AFL hasn't been too clever in the way in which they have handled the North Melbourne thing," Kennett said.

"They threatened them, they embarrassed them and they hadn't even delivered to North Melbourne the one thing that might have made the difference, the security of a venue.

"How can you expect anyone to give up a location, with all the heart strings at home, for a new environment when the AFL can't even deliver a ground?"

Kennett is also unimpressed by the league's budding presence in South Africa and Dubai.

"I think this overseas stuff is rubbish. Absolute rubbish. I would love to know how much it cost and who went.

"We are not going to have an international competition for an Australian game. You can go and play exhibition games if you like, but for goodness sake, what is the priority? Is it a 17th and 18th team or is it to extend the operations internationally? It just doesn't make sense to me.

"I am not opposed to it (a second Sydney team), but I am opposed to what I consider a ham-fisted way of going about it.

"You have to start by developing a business plan, then you have to share it with your shareholders, and we are the shareholders.

"Then, when you have got all that done, you can announce it," he said.

Kennett is not alone in expressing frustration with the way business is being done at AFL House. Collingwood led criticism over the way the interchange rules for the pre-season competition were introduced and Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, a vocal opponent of the draft concessions required to establish new teams, has queried the need for the AFL to bring its expansion plans forward.

Kennett said clubs which rely on the AFL for ongoing, additional financial support, the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, would be justified in questioning the league's funding priorities.

"They are working their butts off to survive and all of a sudden they know the AFL has got so much money they are going to spend tens of millions of dollars over the next 10 years to establish two new clubs," he said.

A more heated debate is likely to come when the AFL reveals the details of its plans to give the two new clubs access to 80 players, including some with AFL experience.

"The salary cap is going up every year as it must," Kennett said. "Our lists are smaller. Where are they going to get the players from and how is it going to be funded? These are big issues.

"I am not opposed to them having those thought processes.

"What I am upset about is here we are on the eve of another season, people have been gearing up for this season, and all of a sudden we are reading in the papers visions the AFL have that are not backed by a business plan."