What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL to spend $300 million on Gold Coast? Batlle with the NRL continues.

Copa

Bench
FMD.... is this for real?? surely it is a typo? they really want to own the gold coast don't they?

Go the Titans!

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/afl-splurges-to-tempt-roos/2007/11/01/1193619059519.html

Not only has the AFL vowed to plough millions of dollars to underwrite the Kangaroos' potential move, its package, while still not completed, is also expected to include:
■A written guarantee of between seven and eight home-and-away games in Melbourne.
■A special deal for the club's Melbourne members.
■A promise to ensure the club's on-field success in the short-term via priority picks, further potential to pick up uncontracted players and a Gold Coast zone.
■Continuing support of Arden Street as a permanent Melbourne training base for the club and the wider community.
■State-of-the art training facilities and an AFL-funded marketing team to promote the team in the increasingly tough Gold Coast market.

The multimillion-dollar investment in establishing a team on the Gold Coast also includes the redevelopment of Carrara — still the AFL's preferred venue — with more than $300 million and a stadium deal based on Geelong's Skilled Stadium model, in which the Cats profit to the tune of $30 a spectator.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
NFI.....

Imagine making that sort of outlay just to have a 2nd Brisbane side just saturate soprts coverage in SE Qld, and killing the Lions in the process.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
I doubt the AFL will be paying for the new stadium.
I can't see the state government paying for it, especially when the premier is a GC girl and the Titans no.1 ticketholder.

Eelectrica

Referee
Lockyer4President! said:
I can't see the state government paying for it, especially when the premier is a GC girl and the Titans no.1 ticketholder.

Also the Government and us tax payers have just paid for the Titans new Skilled stadium.
I'm not buying a stadium for the AFL.

Sure is one expensive white elephant the AFL a looking at buying though.
Their's no way they could recoup that kind of money. I mean just think of the interest alone.

gho

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
They'll have to pay for part of it, it doenst matter even if she loathes AFL.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
300 mil they may as well give some of it to me, because i will be doing the same thing they will, Pissing it up a wall.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Someone should start up a campaign saying they should donate some of the $300M to a good cause/charity rather than waste it.

LESStar58

Referee
Again;

It's the AFL's funeral!

Also this as it appered in todays Australian

source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22687924-5012432,00.html

Titans object to Gold Coast turf war

Dan Koch | November 02, 2007

GOLD COAST TITANS managing director Michael Searle has slammed the AFL's approach to having a team placed on the Gold Coast by 2010, saying it reeked of arrogance and showed little regard for the local community.

Having overseen the Titans' stunning debut season, which saw the new club record the second-best home crowd average and merchandise sales in the NRL, Searle said his club had little to fear from AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou's announcement on Wednesday that either the Kangaroos or a newly created 17th team would have a permanent home on the Gold Coast within two years.

Already contracted to play seven games at Carrara Stadium over the next two seasons, the Kangaroos have been given just 30 days to agree to a proposal from the AFL to relocate to the tourist strip by 2010.

However, Searle said such an uncompromising, sledgehammer style was unlikely to win over fans on the Gold Coast who he claimed were already cynical about the AFL's motives for having a team in the region.

"What the AFL clearly doesn't understand is the Titans' entrance into the NRL wasn't simply a spur of the moment idea we had one day.

"It was the culmination of seven years of community-driven support to have an NRL team based here," Searle said.

"The people here can see straight through this. They see this as a strategic reaction by the AFL to counter the success of the Titans.

"They saw the Kangaroos playing games here this year as an attempt by the AFL to run interference on our first season and they will treat this latest announcement with the same cynicism."

Searle said it was insulting for the AFL to think it could simply place a team on the Gold Coast and expect fans to follow.

"You have to do much more to win over the Gold Coast market than simply getting a team and slapping a Gold Coast badge on them," Searle, who grew up in the area, said.

"You need to engage the local community otherwise it will simply collapse, as we have seen happen here many times before.

"What the AFL is trying to do reeks of arrogance."

Searle said the arrival of a second AFL team in southeast Queensland would not cost the Titans a single cent in revenue or corporate support but predicted it would cut into the market share of the Brisbane Lions.

Lions coach Leigh Matthews has been an outspoken critic of the AFL's attempts to move a second team into Queensland, adamant the region simply could not financially support a second team.

However, with the AFL having made its position clear, Lions chief executive Michael Bowers said the club was now preparing to meet any invader head-on. "The AFL's decision gives us some clarity and an unequivocal timeline to work within, so now we say 'bring it on'," Bowers said.

"We have until 2010 to shore up our patch and we will be working extremely hard as an organisation to do just that.

"When the new team does arrive we will get straight into it, competing both on and off the field and hopefully we can make life very difficult for them.

"I don't think anyone is under any illusion that it won't be a big challenge.

"But, from our perspective, there are certainly plenty of positives about having another team based here in Queensland.

"First and foremost there will be an extra team here which will help create a local rivalry as well as increase the overall coverage of the game. You will also have more people living and breathing AFL footy and that has a positive flow-on effect."

As I said in TFC.... good to see Searle make a stand against the invaders! :clap:

TITAN1

Juniors
Lets see...
If this goes ahead,SEQ will have:
1.Titans
2.Blaze
3.Aces
4.Kangaroos/17th team

Seems a bit crowded to me..:shock:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hahahahaha AFL!!!!! they could spend 600 million and would still loose to GC.

Wanker f**king code.

Go Clarkey!!!!!!!!!!

TITAN1

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
Don't forget the A-League team.
I think theyre based in Brisbane ;-) ..i was counting the teams actually based in the G.C area.

t-ba

Post Whore
I think they'll have to pay for the stadium. The Government had it guaranteed that a second QLD AFL franchise would have to be based out of the Gabba before they considered dishing out any more cash for flogball stadia.

$150m for a 30k Seater flogball stadium on the cheap. Excellent. When the franchise falls on its arse, the NRL can buy it out and build a lower bowl into it like the City of Manchester Stadium. The Titans could do with a 40k seat stadium in ten years time.

t-ba

Post Whore
TITAN1 said:
I think theyre based in Brisbane ;-) ..i was counting the teams actually based in the G.C area.

GC is probably a top 4 target of theirs, after Western Sydney, 2nd Melbourne and North QLD/Wollongong.

If you bastards get the spot over Wollongong, I'll deadset give up soccer forever. We've already been shafted for the Central Coast and we won't even be the Wolves when we come back :(

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
TITAN1 said:
There's been talk for a while that the Gold Coast and North Queensland will be the next two teams in and that the FFA want to beat the AFL in getting a team on the GC.
It's gonna be quite crowded in a few years time, not all of the teams are going to survive.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
There's been talk for a while that the Gold Coast and North Queensland will be the next two teams in and that the FFA want to beat the AFL in getting a team on the GC.
It's gonna be quite crowded in a few years time, not all of the teams are going to survive.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Titans will survive, whilst the Aces may be the ones to get the chop. The rest can fight over the crumbs.

Latest posts