What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Websites

Bengal

Juniors
I’ve just been perusing the AFL team websites.

I reckon they have it all over NRL team sites in terms of design, loading speed and consistency.

Another thing I liked was how their main site had links going straight to each team’s website. This doesn’t happen in NRL.com (you need to go through a few steps first).

I’d like to see more League sites having links that go directly to the official team pages. I’d also like to see the main team sites have a more consistent layout of their buttons, links icons etc. I’m coming from a time-strapped persons point of view.

There’s room for improvement here I reckon?

*Paul*

Juniors
If bigfooty.com is anything to go by, the AFL official sites are pretty much universially despised.

Bengal

Juniors
I don’t know what big footy.com has to with the price of fish, but if you’re anything like me and regularly visit NRL.com I reckon you’d appreciate having links that go straight to the NRL teams’ main website.

If you were to look up the AFLs’ equivalent of the NRL website and then click onto the links to their clubs it might prove insightful.

*Paul*

Juniors
bigfooty.com is an AFL based forum like this. Also like here, fans express their opinions. The prevailing opinion is that afl.com.au & the generic club sites suck.

The reason afl.com.au links directly to club sites is that they're part of a network rather wholly separate entities.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Bengal said:
I don’t know what big footy.com has to with the price of fish, but if you’re anything like me and regularly visit NRL.com I reckon you’d appreciate having links that go straight to the NRL teams’ main website.

If you were to look up the AFLs’ equivalent of the NRL website and then click onto the links to their clubs it might prove insightful.

Official websites suck!

Razor

Coach
Bengal said:
I’d also like to see the main team sites have a more consistent layout of their buttons, links icons etc. I’m coming from a time-strapped persons point of view.

I disagree. I don't want each teams site to look the same. Leave it up to the club itself to hire/contract the people/company to create/maintain the site themselves.

Bengal

Juniors
Paul

Whoever it is that said AFL sites suck obviously had their blinkers on. In terms of their sites being networked, that’s an interesting point, we ought to look into it.

Tamazoid

Official websites are normally the first cab of the rank when you’re just starting to get into a hobby. Veterans may well rubbish them, but for new comers it’s the first step in hopefully what will become a very long journey.
NRL.com is Leagues shop window down this way.
In an age where time is a luxury and convenience ensures repeat visits all efforts should be made to make League sites as attractive and user-friendly as possible.

Quite often I get people coming up to me (I live in a rah rah environment) wanting to know something about League, normally something specific to a club.
After I’ve done the yak they normally want to know more, some club sites are easy for me to explain to these people how to find dragons.com.au for example. Others are a nightmare they lose interest. I wanna say ‘go to NRL.com, then click on the club emblem and wammo you’re in’.

My point is people have either got short attention spans or are just ‘plain to busy’. They want information quick and they want it now. Where possible we should be looking to cater for these needs.

Razor

This is my fault, I thought someone might pull me up over this, but I wasn’t implying every website should look the same (although I reckon they could look better).
What I would like to see is a consistent layout (and naming) of the navigation buttons.

Everything else can be whatever, but when I want to find information from say three different clubs I just want to go bang bang bang, there, I’ve got it.

However what is happening is that the links to this information are in different positions for many clubs, many of these links also have different names.

Ease of use – speed of use is all I’m after.

Latest posts