What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aku Uate 20

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
What seemed to be a lost season for aku a month ago, had now turned into a remarkable resurgance in the last 4 games means he still has a chance to get to his 20 tries for the season.

So does anyone think he can get there?

Silent Knight

First Grade
Absolutely. He's got an NRL standard centre now who can provide him with ball in space. Gagai/Uate could prove to be our most lethal centre/wing combination since Midley/Tahu during the Knights golden age.

RABK

Referee
Boyd/Gagai/Uate - Johns/Midley/Tahu.

Johns is the difference. Not much between prime T and Aku, but Gagai has loads more talent than Gidley.

Jono078

Referee
He always looks like he's gonna score 3 a game with Boyd and Gagai setting him up, just a matter of him continuing to finish. And also if his last try last night is a sign of things to go by, hopefully a few more solo efforts are on the way.

I think he's gonna end up in the top 3 try scorers. Wouldn't be surprised if McManus keeps up pace too!

No matter the year we've had as a club, our wingers are having possibly the best season for wingers in Knights history.

Rolla

Juniors
His 'bad form' was extremely exaggerated IMO. The difference has been service vs no service. Despite the sometimes ridiculous KOTW points he has been our best winger in all bar about 4 games (in the first 5 rounds). And one of our best and most consistent players every game really. Anyway, that is all open to opinion, but it sure is good to see him getting some service.

Gagai is everything we could have asked for and more. Aku has never played outside a quality, athletic, unselfish and capable centre (at any level). Doogs was ok, and better than the alternatives but he bombed plenty by holding the ball too. It seems a centre has realised that if you pass Aku the ball he will turn it into a try assist. This could be the most dangerous centre/wing pairing in the comp already!!

Rod

Bench
Yeah agree regarding Aku getting next to no service for the first half of the year. We were so hellbent on having a good completion rate and going one out of the ruck that he saw next to no ball. He definitely suffered a crisis in confidence as a result though which came to the fore in Origin.

I don't think he was ever in bad form though. That finish for the first try last night was all class, he still had a lot of work to do to score that try.

How long did we sign Gagai for?

Rolla

Juniors
Yeah agree regarding Aku getting next to no service for the first half of the year. We were so hellbent on having a good completion rate and going one out of the ruck that he saw next to no ball. He definitely suffered a crisis in confidence as a result though which came to the fore in Origin.

I don't think he was ever in bad form though. That finish for the first try last night was all class, he still had a lot of work to do to score that try.

How long did we sign Gagai for?

Anything short of life won't do.

Seage

Juniors
Boyd/Gagai/Uate - Johns/Midley/Tahu.

Johns is the difference. Not much between prime T and Aku, but Gagai has loads more talent than Gidley.

Talent is nice, but the kid has played a handful of games for us, so let's not go overboard. Gidley was the dominant centre in the comp for years and racked up the rep jerseys. Dane has been bloody impressive but he has a long way to go (having said that I believe the point you're making is to do with natural talent as opposed achievements or team value).

Although Gagai certainly shows how shitful we have been in that centre position this season prior to now.

RABK

Referee
Dominant centre in the comp? Please. Take that opinion to general NRL fans in the main forum and you'll be eaten alive. Infact i'll eat you alive for it. Gidley was a very average defender - at best. He got better service than any other centre in the comp and used it well in attack to set up his winger in 2 on 2 situations. He was a rep quality centre who was never really a mainstay for either NSW or Australia. He was never dominant. There were always much better centres than him across all facets of play. Renouf and ET in their twilight, Hodges, Lyon and Gasnier in their breakout years etc. Vagana was better too when Midley was at his absolute best in 01-03.

Gagai has a shitload more individual talent than Midley ever had. Nothing overboard about it.

Last edited:

Seage

Juniors
if I paid any credence to what the general NRL fans thought, I'd be a lol@$(c)uffs or Tigers fan.

Gidley was the goods and i'm sticking with it.

Rolla

Juniors
I agree that Gagai has more talent.... A lot more.

Only time will tell whether or not he will have a better career though. And at the end of the day that is what counts. Hopefully Gagai can go on to be our best ever centre (probably our weakest position historically if I am honest).

Yosh

Coach
I think it's the first time i've seen a real centre in knights colours. Feels bloody excelle t!