What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ALAN JONES

merahputih

Juniors
The end of an era on radio with Alan Jones' leaving 2GB.
Not a name I readily associate with the NRL, but he did coach Balmain for a couple of years back in the early 90's (apparently not accepting a salary) and went on to a management position at Souths, again for no fee. His coaching career in the NRL was not much of an improvement on our own maestro.
While I fit snugly into the age bracket of his audience, I was never a fan of his ranting and abusive style but I had to admire his genius in capturing a solid slice of the listeners and tapping into their prejudices and fears. I lost count of the number of buses and taxis I rode in while his voice ranted and raved on the radio at anyone to the left of Genghis Khan.
The fact that just about every Prime Minister in nearly thirty years and almost every other politician has been on his show when ever he waved his finger is a tribute to his skills and influence.
I suspect a lot of folks on this forum probably listened to him and either liked or loathed him and would be interested in their take on him moving on.

grouch

First Grade
This is a 100% true story about Alan Jones, with a rugby league link.

When he was working for Souths in the football management/recruitment side of things, he made a visit to my school to meet one of our star footy players. While he was there, he was going to address the school assembly. It would have been 93 or 94. Anyway, he walked through the school grounds during the lunch break, and crossed the playground to the sport master's office where the meeting was going to take place with the young player. Of course everyone noticed him, strolling in his suit amongst all these schoolkids with some other Souths officials in red and green tracksuits. But then, something else caught our eye. A looming tennis ball, floating up into the sky. Time seemed to slow down, and the playground bizarrely fell quiet, as this tennis ball arced in the air in the direction of Jones and his entourage. I had a great view of it, and you didn't need to be in the 3 unit physics class to know that it was guaranteed to hit Jones somehow. In fact, it sconed him right on the top of his bald head. The eruption of laughter was one of the loudest things I'd ever heard, it was like a sonic boom. Some of us were rolling on the concrete convulsing.

Later, at the assembly, Jones, with his signature fire and brimstone, assured every single student at this catholic boys school that we'd amount to nothing and that we're a blight on what was already shaping to be a terrible generation. His face was very red. It was hilarious.

The player did sign with Souths. Troy Barnes was his name and he played a couple of first grade games but faded away quickly. The tennis ball-thrower, however, was a kid by the name of Paul [redacted], and his legend lives forever.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The fact he can be so divisive is why he was considered such a success.

If you agree with him, he helps validate your views and more than likely will be talked about for this.

If you disagree with him, he helps fire up your views that are against his, and more than likely will be talked about out of outrage.

One of the last true shock jocks we have around - apologies to any fans of Kyle Sandilands......

YoHadrian

Juniors
This is a 100% true story about Alan Jones, with a rugby league link.

When he was working for Souths in the football management/recruitment side of things, he made a visit to my school to meet one of our star footy players. While he was there, he was going to address the school assembly. It would have been 93 or 94. Anyway, he walked through the school grounds during the lunch break, and crossed the playground to the sport master's office where the meeting was going to take place with the young player. Of course everyone noticed him, strolling in his suit amongst all these schoolkids with some other Souths officials in red and green tracksuits. But then, something else caught our eye. A looming tennis ball, floating up into the sky. Time seemed to slow down, and the playground bizarrely fell quiet, as this tennis ball arced in the air in the direction of Jones and his entourage. I had a great view of it, and you didn't need to be in the 3 unit physics class to know that it was guaranteed to hit Jones somehow. In fact, it sconed him right on the top of his bald head. The eruption of laughter was one of the loudest things I'd ever heard, it was like a sonic boom. Some of us were rolling on the concrete convulsing.

Later, at the assembly, Jones, with his signature fire and brimstone, ensured every single student at this catholic boys school that we'd amount to nothing and that we're a blight on what was already shaping to be a terrible generation. His face was very red. It was hilarious.

The player did sign with Souths. Troy Barnes was his name and he played a couple of first grade games but faded away quickly. The tennis ball-thrower, however, was a kid by the name of Paul [redacted], and his legend lives forever.

That story deserves several beers. The ball thrower deserves a dozen cases.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Met the man through business some 15 years ago. He was the rudest most arrogant individual I’ve ever met, totally full of himself and his own self importance.
He was with Kieran Perkins at the time whom looked shocked & embarrassed whilst trying to apologise for Jones behaviour and mood behind his back.

TruSaint

Referee
pass%20the%20chaff-bag%20......jpg

Good riddance.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Can't stand the vile misogynistic A-hole. He has a totally over-inflated sense of his own importance.

However it is wrong to say he is as bad a coach as Mary. He turned the Australian Rugby Union team around when he was coach, and put the team on the path to World Cup glory.

sorry mate. Was referring to when Jones coached Balmain. No idea what he did for Yawnion.

Old Timer

Coach
Alan Jones the man who would supposedly hold everyone accountable for everything they said or did but had no accountability for what he said or did himself.

Just a shame that he will now probably do the speaking circuit and lots of media interviews and pocket a very sizeable fortune doing so.

Some of his vitriol and outrageous claims cost some people plenty and we’re not just talking about money.

A turd that floated to the top and stayed there despite every effort to flush it.

Gareth67

First Grade
Never particularly liked his style , he was indeed arrogant , abusive and at times downright mean . But in saying that he did also possess a great deal of intellect , a mind that could tackle problems which to some may seem insurmountable .

However at the end of the day I would much prefer to listen to ‘ The man with the golden tonsils ‘ none other than John Laws - he was far more down to earth .

Can anyone recall the original ‘ Shock - Jock ‘ Ward Palley Austin the chap who use to dress up in an American Civil War Confederate uniform ? When the Honda motorcycle came out to Australia he done a radio commercial that got him sacked from whatever station he was employed . The infamous line was “ Hey girls how would you like to sit on something big , red and hot - well jump onto the new Honda motorcycle ! “

Yes , give me John Laws or Ward Palley Austin anyday over Allan Jones .