What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There won't be legal action at the end of it all there would be an out of court settlement between the knights, NRL and McKinnon.

PoWdErFiNgEr84

Juniors
Yeah, politican. Ask a question not to answer a question.

Mate, you are the one who came on here acting like a lawyer, judge & spinal expert all rolled into one & claiming that any action before the NRL judiciary or courts would be thrown out & blamed solely on the Knight's. Because of your natural instinct. You have shot down anyone who disagrees with you & acted like your opinion is the only one that is correct. Yes, you have a right to your opinion. Others have a right to disagree with that opinion. I answerd your question using the flight attendant example. Just like the flight attended & airline you would be hard pressed to find a judge who finds the Knight's solely negligent because of the advice they have given, which in 9 out of 10 cases would reduce the risk of injury. Good luck finding a judge who would find an employer solely negligent for an injury that is probably a 1 in 1mil likelihood of occurring. FMD, not matter what position your neck is in, if you had 300kgs plus on your neck you would be lucky to come away without some type of spinal injury. BTW, the most likely expert witnesses would be spinal experts probably from either The Alfred or Prince of Wales and not your fancy pancy bio mechanical expert.

My personal opinion is that this is a tragic accident that has more to do with having 3 first grade footy players ending up on one guys neck. And the NRL should have been more proactive in banning all lifting tackles in order to limit the likelihood of something like this happening. I also doubt that there will be any court action as the Knights, NRL etc are highly unlikely to leave McKinnon & his family high and dry. And frankly, whilst a young man is lying in a spinal ward in an induced coma, who will be lucky to walk ever again, it is inappropriate to be discussing opinions that are based on nothing but instinct.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Mate, you are the one who came on here acting like a lawyer, judge & spinal expert all rolled into one & claiming that any action before the NRL judiciary or courts would be thrown out & blamed solely on the Knight's. Because of your natural instinct. You have shot down anyone who disagrees with you & acted like your opinion is the only one that is correct. Yes, you have a right to your opinion. Others have a right to disagree with that opinion. I answerd your question using the flight attendant example. Just like the flight attended & airline you would be hard pressed to find a judge who finds the Knight's solely negligent because of the advice they have given, which in 9 out of 10 cases would reduce the risk of injury. Good luck finding a judge who would find an employer solely negligent for an injury that is probably a 1 in 1mil likelihood of occurring. FMD, not matter what position your neck is in, if you had 300kgs plus on your neck you would be lucky to come away without some type of spinal injury. BTW, the most likely expert witnesses would be spinal experts probably from either The Alfred or Prince of Wales and not your fancy pancy bio mechanical expert.

My personal opinion is that this is a tragic accident that has more to do with having 3 first grade footy players ending up on one guys neck. And the NRL should have been more proactive in banning all lifting tackles in order to limit the likelihood of something like this happening. I also doubt that there will be any court action as the Knights, NRL etc are highly unlikely to leave McKinnon & his family high and dry. And frankly, whilst a young man is lying in a spinal ward in an induced coma, who will be lucky to walk ever again, it is inappropriate to be discussing opinions that are based on nothing but instinct.

Well said. Exactly on point. Some people obviously just enjoy talking out of their arse to try and big note themselves while I'm sure legal action is the absolute last thing on Alex's, his family's or the Knights minds at the moment.

First Grade
Well we all thought the storm wouldn't apply to have the young guy charged for the tackle play on the weekend, but in typical storm fashion the merkins have asked for him to play.

Jason Maher

Immortal
These tackles are illegal because of the potential for exactly what happened to McKinnon. The NRL simply needs to enforce the already existing rule. The judiciary should hand out a stiff suspension. What also should have happened is the Match Review Committee should have been instructed to watch all 8 games and cite any other player who was responsible for a similar tackle.

Sleep

Juniors
I've stayed out of the discussion regarding the tackle so far due to the hysteria around it.

There's been far worse tackles over the years. The one he was injured in really wasn't all that bad. Had he not dipped his head it's not even warranting a penalty.

It truly was just a terrible accident. Nothing more. People are running wild now with theories about how any lifting in the tackle should be banned, more than two in a tackle.

Jesus christ. Stop. We've made enough changes as it is in the last few years. The players know the risk they take when they go on the field. The tackle was less dangerous than the fact a defending player can tackle a player in mid-air.

If this was happening even anything more than a once off freak accident they might need to look into it but that's all it is.

gronkathon

First Grade
The one he was injured in really wasn't all that bad. Had he not dipped his head it's not even warranting a penalty.

The side effect of hysteria I guess is people like yourself ignoring the rules to suit an argument because that is a penalty every day of the week. The fact that the officials ignored previous tackles of the same ilk is concerning to say the least

BunniesMan

Immortal
The fact that previous tackles went unpunished is irrelevant. In fact it could help Mckinnon in a lawsuit one day.

But when it comes to the judiciary punishing this tackle, I'd rather they get 1 in 3 right than 0 in 3. Previous mistakes don't justify making more mistakes.

_Johnsy

Referee
I've stayed out of the discussion regarding the tackle so far due to the hysteria around it.

There's been far worse tackles over the years. The one he was injured in really wasn't all that bad. Had he not dipped his head it's not even warranting a penalty.

It truly was just a terrible accident. Nothing more. People are running wild now with theories about how any lifting in the tackle should be banned, more than two in a tackle.

Jesus christ. Stop. We've made enough changes as it is in the last few years. The players know the risk they take when they go on the field. The tackle was less dangerous than the fact a defending player can tackle a player in mid-air.

If this was happening even anything more than a once off freak accident they might need to look into it but that's all it is.

I disagree. An accident is an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.

Had McKinnon not been lifted above the horizontal (which is against the rules) he would not have suffered the injury. Pretty clear cut IMO.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Please shut the f**k up

go f**k yourself

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

BunniesMan

Immortal
No one is disputing that it was an accident. No one is saying it was intentional. That does not mean there is no room for a lengthy suspension. Lifting and going above the perpendicular is creeping back into the game. We need to hit it on its head asap.

If it was me I'd give 4 weeks.

No one is disputing that it was an accident. No one is saying it was intentional. That does not mean there is no room for a lengthy suspension. Lifting and going above the perpendicular is creeping back into the game. We need to hit it on its head asap.

If it was me I'd give 4 weeks.

Horizontal dude.

You might consider looking up perpendicular in the dictionary.

magpie4ever

First Grade

Again. you refused to answer my question.

I still believe Newcastle's advice with regard to postioning in a lifting tackle was wrong.

You make the assumption of a court case against the Knight - again you are wrong, I was making the point from a judicary/court case agianst McLean and Melbourne and their likey defence.

I do agree there has been enough discussion around the event, which you have been a major part of, as an expert of legal & medical matters - claims you make against me. Unfortunately, you can't see that about yourself.

In respect of the young man (family and friends), I will not make further comment unless I feel an injustice is done with regards to this unfortunate accident.

Last edited:

Dragons01

First Grade
I think Melbourne have done the wrong thing by requesting that McLean play this weekend. All they are doing is putting the focus back on themselves and also putting undue pressure on McLean himself. If he is given the green light, the press will be all over the Storm game this weekend and all over young McLean. Every tackle, every facial expression he makes will be analysed by so called 'experts'.

Why would they not for one week be content to lay low?

afinalsin666

First Grade
I think Melbourne have done the wrong thing by requesting that McLean play this weekend. All they are doing is putting the focus back on themselves and also putting undue pressure on McLean himself. If he is given the green light, the press will be all over the Storm game this weekend and all over young McLean. Every tackle, every facial expression he makes will be analysed by so called 'experts'.

Why would they not for one week be content to lay low?

I agree. We have a few in the wings that could cover him.

Status
Not open for further replies.