What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Black plays league

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Jerry Collins' league outing not a wise move

By SAM WORTHINGTON - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 11 June 2008

310654.jpg
Photosport
SWITCHEROO: Jerry Collins has switched codes.

Jerry Collins has switched codes.

As his former All Blacks teammates prepared for the test against Ireland at Westpac Stadium on Saturday, Collins instead made a surprise appearance for North City's senior first league side at Wainuiomata's humble Wise Park.
Collins, who shouted both teams drinks after the game, put in a low-key showing in a 34-30 loss to Wainuiomata, though word soon got out that he had played under a fake name, which is likely to cost Norths a $250 fine.
Norths' senior firsts coach Solo Luapo said Collins had a ball playing league but admitted that not clearing the move with the Wellington Rugby League would cost the club.
"He's got some friends and some cousins that play and he was just having fun with the guys," Luapo said.
"Apparently, I'm in trouble. You've got to be registered but it was an agreement between us and Wainui that we'd let him play, they okayed it so we played him."
Wellington Rugby League chairman Stephen Franks welcomed Collins' desire to play league - but would not back down from punishing the club.
"He's an inspiration, and we love having him back in our game," Franks said. "But he's also serving as an example in another way.
"A rule of the game is that players must be registered with a team before they play.
"No doubt the committee will take into account what he brings to the game [and] we'll want to make sure we see more of him playing.
"But the rule ensures that the top players cannot shuffle from team to team, distorting the results."
Collins was vague on his footballing future when announcing that he had gained an early release from his New Zealand Rugby Union contract last month.

Brutus

Referee
Shouldn't he be concentrating on his commentary work for the ABC?

He looks a little different to what I imagined. Next we'll have Warren Boland and Quentin Hull putting on the boots.

Aunty should sack him immediately.

The Preacher

First Grade
His hair looks like the brushes they have on the ground outside golf clubhouses to clean the grass and sh!t off your spikes before you go inside.

hitman82

Bench
:lol::lol:

I reckon, Collins would of made a good 2nd rower/prop in league, very physical strong hard runner and great defender aswell.

I think he still could. Collins grew up playing league and is only 27ish. He always said he wanted to return to league at some stage, apparently that stage is now.
With a lot of fitness work and some lower grade games to freshen up on the rules i believe he could get a start in an NRL team. He'd be a prop in my opinion. Very strong defensively and an aggressive player with a fair bit of nasty in him.

hitman82

Bench
from wikipedia...

Collins has been a stalwart at blindside flanker for the bore blacks, since 2004.He can also cover No. 8 and openside flanker positions. He is regarded as one of the most fearsome player in his position in world rugby....

...Many have labeled Jerry Collins as the hardest tackler in world rugby. In 2005 he was nominated by Australian players in thehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_14 Super 14 as their most feared opponent and was the only nominee . Collins is famous for putting on brutal, bone crunching tackles when needed. In the 2005 Phillips Tri-nations tournament Collins exhibited his might when he knocked out Australian back Morgan Turunui with one of his trademark tackles. Colin Charvis was admitted to hospital following a particularly hard tackle during the Welsh tour of New Zealand in 2003.
Date of birth November 4th, 1980 (age 27)
Place of birth Apia, Western Samoa
Height 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)
Weight 109 kg (17 st 2 lb)
Nickname JC, The Terminator, Big J, Cerry Jollins

I despise rugby and am generally opposed to signing retirees of the scumbag code, but he's relatively young and has experience and a love for league. Would be an excellent pick-up for a few sides IMHO.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
He would make a pretty good prop. Not sure if he will give League a good crack though, will probably head overseas to play Union.

hellteam

First Grade
I saw Jerry Collins at the Origin match last night. Seems like he definately does have an interest for league.