What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Stars rule experiment - rugby league lineouts.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Was just thinking about the new referees 'regime' or whatever the hell is going on over there and how this will be their first time picking experimental rules for the All Stars game. It dredged up an idea I had a while back that I thought I'd present for further comment:

The scrum is useless. We all know this. And the only justification that can be heard for keeping it is that it allows for a play in which the forwards are taken out of the equation.

If that's true then I think we can do a lot better.

I propose that instead of packing down for a scrum all the forwards line up on the sideline. As soon as the ball is tapped and passed from 10 or 20 in (ala kick for touch on penalty) the forwards are allowed to rejoin the play.

Ta dah. A rugby league lineout.

The defending forwards are sent scrambling back into the line with a 10/20 metre handicap. The backs can spread it wide to attack the thin defense of the oppositions backs and use all that extra space to step and jink and whatever they want. The forwards get worn out more from all the cardio, the pocket referee gets to make sure they don't jump the gun on the sideline, the attacking forwards get a leisurely stroll back onto the field, and no one in rugby league has to defend the use of scrums in the modern game ever again.

And as a bonus, if we're lucky, we annoy Union fans by calling it a 'lineout'.

I think this is a simple rule change that could work during the All Stars yearly 'rule experiment thingy' and is a lot more elegant than the 'powerplay' or whatever they had going last year.

azsportza

Live Update Team
It's good that you are thinking about how to "improve" our game. But honestly this would just overly confuse the players and the people watching. Plus I think it would look pretty stupid to see all the forwards running back.

I would see a scrum pack any day over any form of line out like you outline.

Saint Doc

Coach
Plus how do you define who are the forwards? I mean tactically these days backs have been known o pack into scrums. If a team was defending a "line out" 10m out, I guarantee Benji would be playing "prop"

Not sure if Ding is trying to be humorous here, but as I've said before, call it a 7 v 7 play, any 7 can obviously be in the line.

Call the Rake the Fulcrum.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think we should make field goals 3 points as well as penalty goals 3 points and tries can be 5 points. and if you kick the ball between the sticks but under the crossbar you get 1 point

Pablo-13

Juniors
Was just thinking about the new referees 'regime' or whatever the hell is going on over there and how this will be their first time picking experimental rules for the All Stars game. It dredged up an idea I had a while back that I thought I'd present for further comment:

The scrum is useless. We all know this. And the only justification that can be heard for keeping it is that it allows for a play in which the forwards are taken out of the equation.

I propose that instead of packing down for a scrum all the forwards line up on the sideline. As soon as the ball is tapped and passed from 10 or 20 in (ala kick for touch on penalty) the forwards are allowed to rejoin the play.

The defending forwards are sent scrambling back into the line with a 10/20 metre handicap. The backs can spread it wide to attack the thin defense of the oppositions backs and use all that extra space to step and jink and whatever they want. The forwards get worn out more from all the cardio, the pocket referee gets to make sure they don't jump the gun on the sideline, the attacking forwards get a leisurely stroll back onto the field, and no one in rugby league has to defend the use of scrums in the modern game ever again.

I think this is a simple rule change that could work during the All Stars yearly 'rule experiment thingy' and is a lot more elegant than the 'powerplay' or whatever they had going last year.

Not sure if Ding is trying to be humorous here, but as I've said before, call it a 7 v 7 play, any 7 can obviously be in the line.

I'd like to see this in action. There's certainly no down side to a governing body arranging some trial matches, at whatever level, to test new ideals.

Perhaps the remaining six players from each team could be held back at the goal line, rather than the touch line, to prevent them obstructing the touch judges.

Bulldog Force

Referee

Line out? FFS really? Become more like Rugby? No thanks.

The scrum itself is perhaps useless, but what eventuates AFTER the scrum is still in the game, eg 6 on 6 defenders (taking out the halfbacks/feeder), tries coming straight after a scrum are a common thing. Don't take that out of our game.

GongPanther

Referee
Cut the ball into 26 individual pieces to give to each player then they can figure out what to do with it.

roarr

Juniors
The actual idea is pretty bad.

But I would probably like to see some sort of challenge for the ball in the game. Whether it be following a knock-on/forward pass or when the ball goes in touch. Something reasonably innovative (i.e. not copying union) but not destroying the fabric of the game.

Latest posts