What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allan Wise

Hoggy

Bench
A month or two ago Allan Border said that the selectors were keeping a close eye on The Wise Man. Now he has cleaned up the South Australian top order yesterday and was apparently bowling smoke.

Could he be the next bolt from the blue to get a gig to Sri Lanka or for future tours?

2003-04 1st class stats....
6 mts. 24 wkts @ 22.29. 2 5WI's, BB of 5/47

2003-04 One Day stats....
7 mts. 10 wkts @ 26.20. BB of 2/31

Not bad figures for a raw rookie.

Anonymous

Juniors
I was actually contwmplating starting a thread on this guy.

He does look like he could well be going places.

The Australian bowling stocks ATM are looking impressive

Its a same the selectors are too pussy to use them.

Anonymous

Juniors
Hmmm seems good. A bit raw perhaps, however, so were McGrath and Warne when they made their test debuts.

One thing to remember is that all the Victorian quicks have burst onto the scene before settling down. Look at Innes, Harwood, McDonald, etc. All their early stats were extreemly impressive, and someone like Innes still has v.good figures, and should get a crack before someone like Wise. The key is can he maintain form for an extended period? Look at Kasprowicz. He's been killing it for 5 years (since his initial run in Aussie colours), for only a handful of tests and ODI's, and he's getting rewarded now.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes over the next few years.

knights04

Bench
I haven't seen Wise but I'd bring the likes of Tait, Wright, Noffke before anyone else. Innes may go alright in ODI's but he may struggle in the longer version unless they start off against Ban, Zim.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They must all have impressive stats as the Vics are on top. I thought Innes might get a go in Aust A this year, as he was very impressive last year. Shame he was injured.

Tait was also raw when he played for Aust A. and he did well.

Shame there is no more Aust A games this season, for us to get a look at this guy against international cometition.

aqua_duck

Coach
also the thing about Allan wise as well is that he's not exactly young either, he's already 25 so he's got alot of catching up to do.

Doctor

Bench
Dare I state the obvious at this point in saying that the depth of Australian cricket is exciting.

The West Indies are always coming up with the latest fast bowler to re-claim the glory days of the 80s - they go through fast bowlers like underwear.

The good thing is that besides Brett Lee, all other fast bowlers to emerge into the national sides have had plenty of experience under their belt. Brad Williams, Bichel, Kasprowicz, etc all went through the stages of being the raw "up and comers" that we talk about here. They matured into dependable fast bowlers.

I'm not suggesting we wait until these men are in their late 20s to introduce them - but consistency can only be measured over a handful of seasons - a 24 or 25 year old with 3-4 years first class experience that still produces averages in the low 20s is certainly worth looking at.

The stocks are overflowing - I just don't want to see us go through them too quickly - ala Anthony Stuart, Simon Cook, Matt Nicholson, Scott Muller, Paul Wilson, Michael Kasprowicz, Shaun Young, etc.

Anonymous

Juniors
knights04 said:
I haven't seen Wise but I'd bring the likes of Tait, Wright, Noffke before anyone else. Innes may go alright in ODI's but he may struggle in the longer version unless they start off against Ban, Zim.

Swap that around. Innes is brilliant at the long game and awful at the 1 day stuff.

Hoggy

Bench
Timbo said:
knights04 said:

Swap that around. Innes is brilliant at the long game and awful at the 1 day stuff.

Bingo!

I wouldn't say awful, just clearly not as good at the shorter form of the game, he had a terrible start to his one day career.

Rustay

Juniors
Inness also has superior stats to Bracken does he not? I rate him, but i havent seen Wise yet.

Anonymous

Juniors
He had over 100 first class wickets before he got his first one day wicket. And it took 15 or so one dayers to get said wicket. For a strike bowler, thats odd to say the least.

fish eel

Immortal
Paul Rofe should be the man to take over from McGrath.

Tall, hits the seam, bowls a good line and can handle long spells.

The ideal guy to keep it tight whilst Lee and Gillespie attack the stumps.

aqua_duck

Coach
Rustay said:
Inness also has superior stats to Bracken does he not? I rate him, but i havent seen Wise yet.
Inness has slightly better 1st class stats but Bracken's one day stats are in another suburb.

wittyz chick

Coach
i think the selectors would pick Tait replace McGrath cause he get the wicket when you need him to and can be very good at NOT conceding runs even under pressure

Anonymous

Juniors

Every second bowler in NZ has stats like that :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Thierry Henry said:

Every second bowler in NZ has stats like that :D

So they bloody should, with the wickets you guys prepare.

Anonymous

Juniors
Better than preparing snore inducing belters where hacks like Gilchrist can practice their cow corner slogs all day.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Thierry Henry said:
Better than preparing snore inducing belters where hacks like Gilchrist can practice their cow corner slogs all day.

Perhaps it is, that's a matter of opinion.

I don't like the drop in wickets that are perfectly prepared to favour the batsmen.

But how in hell can you compare Kiwi bowlers stats on thier wickets, to Aussie bowlers stats on these drop in wickets.

Think before you post.