What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateurs

Kornstar

Coach
We can't even sell out our Grand Final for ffs.

We did this year and quite early too, we would sell out the GF every year if there were 2 NSW teams playing.

The reason this year was so quick was because the Dogs and Dragons looked shoe ins at the time......hence the sell out!

Since 06 there has been atleast 1 out of town team in the GF, hence the struggle to sell out, this year was looking different until Kimmorley cracked his eye socket!

I'm in favour of a change to the system, too. My post was just in relation to the system as it is - we can't give some people a home game and force others to play elsewhere simply because they drew a Sydney opponent.

caylo

Bench
i think people need to get the whole "home ground advantage" thing out of their heads .... I believe in the "regional" approach, but it should stop there - the finals games in sydney should be played at ANZ or SFS

Well if it is a final in the 2nd week it is a regional advantage rather than a home crowd advantage (i.e we played the dogs at ANZ).

If we go by the same rule Manly, Cronulla and St George should play at SFS and Parramatta, Dogs, Penrith and Tigers should play at ANZ. The other clubs should also play at a stadium with the largest capacity in their region even if its not their home ground (Gold Coast may have to move to Suncorp to fit more people).

I have no problem with this being brought in but you cant give a club a weeks notice. This should be brought up in the offseason and figured out before the season starts. Clubs then should be alocated their stadium they will play finals footy in without a choice.

jono

Juniors
The nostalgic part of my brain recalls the great days at the SCG . Even if any given finals game could only draw 18-19k at the ground when the old capacity was 50-60k
a gladatorial atmosphere was nearly always generated by the occasion.
Neutral ground finals can work , I understand that the modern team logistics ie 7 non Sydney teams changes the landscape , but the neutral ground within any given region as suggested by Caylo bears merit.

Bigfella

Coach
I'm in favour of a change to the system, too. My post was just in relation to the system as it is - we can't give some people a home game and force others to play elsewhere simply because they drew a Sydney opponent.

I tend to agree.

You either have a system in place, which is consistent and known to all; or you simply tell all clubs that the venues for each semi will be determined solely by what is deemed to attract the best crowd. the latter will involve discretiion, unfair advantage to out of town teams; but will probably benefit clubs with increased revenue.

Bit of a hard one. Perhaps its easier to leave it as is but say that clubs can't select home grounds with venues of less than 20k?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Bit of a hard one. Perhaps its easier to leave it as is but say that clubs can't select home grounds with venues of less than 20k?

So Dragons would have to move their game, but if eels were 1st and dragons 8th, we stay at Parramatta Stadium? :-k

Works for me =P~

forward pass

Coach
If the situation was reversed - how many of us would be happy to move the game from Parra Stadium??:lol: We would be blowing up deluxe.

Definitely - the rules have to change. All semifinal venues are 'TBA' once the games are decided.

From there, top 4 get home town advantage where possible. Pretty simple really.

Bigfella

Coach
If the situation was reversed - how many of us would be happy to move the game from Parra Stadium??:lol: We would be blowing up deluxe.

Definitely - the rules have to change. All semifinal venues are 'TBA' once the games are decided.

From there, top 4 get home town advantage where possible. Pretty simple really.

I agree up to the point in bold.

Surely if you are going to change it, you do so to accomodate the biggest available crowd ie TBA, to get the maximum possible crowd attendance and cater for live attendance demand, where possible? If home ground advatnage is the only aim - leave it as is

forward pass

Coach
I agree up to the point in bold.

Surely if you are going to change it, you do so to accomodate the biggest available crowd ie TBA, to get the maximum possible crowd attendance and cater for live attendance demand, where possible? If home ground advatnage is the only aim - leave it as is

I am only calling for home TOWN advantage - not home ground. If Saints play Parra or rabbits or whichever Sydney club - ANZ Stadium or SFS.

If Saints are playing the Storm - then Kogarah would be the venue as they are playing a regional side.

If Titans play Broncos - then Suncorp is the venue but if Titans are drawn to play Parra - then Skilled would be the venue - or even Suncorp - but not ANZ as Titans deserve advantage.

Why move it to a home ground for a smaller crowd, then?

It would convey some form of advantage to the home team and that's not fair simply because they didn't draw a Sydney team.

In addition, I'm sure the likes of ANZ and SFS would be more than happy to pay for hosting these games even if there is a smaller crowd. The money that the NRL could generate from selling these games to the bigger venues would be greatly appreciated by the game.

In terms of it looking poorer on TV, simply sell only one side of the venue - the side that the cameras look out upon which is the east side. That way you bunch the crowd together and it doesn't look as bad on TV.

forward pass

Coach
Why have 18,000 people at ANZ when you can have them at Parra Stadium or Kogarah or CUA etc and have a fullhouse, great atmosphere and a good turnout of the local sides fans. Better than a near empty stadium.

In terms of it looking poorer on TV, simply sell only one side of the venue - the side that the cameras look out upon which is the east side. That way you bunch the crowd together and it doesn't look as bad on TV.

Why? Who are we trying to fool?

I dunno, FP.

I just don't think it's fair to allow a team who finished lower on the ladder to play at home simply because they drew a non-Sydney opponent.

You can't take a team who finished 1st and strip an advantage whilst allowing a team who came 4th to keep it based on pure luck.

Shouldn't it be the same rules for everyone in all cases? If that's so, and if we then move the games away from home venues, there will be an added benefit of increased revenue to the NRL.

forward pass

Coach
I do take your point HJ. It is actually a fairly complicated issue.

If we finished 1st and Saints 8th and our game was moved to ANZ - I wouldn't have an issue. If the Panthers meanwhile who finished 4th got to play the Cowboys at CUA - I don't think I would have an issue with that either. I mean what sort of advantage will the Panthers have? ANZ or CUA - there wont be any Cowboy fans at either so not sure it makes much difference.

But yes - it would be perceived as an advantage. I agree.

guruminga

Juniors
The Grand Final should be played at Hindmarsh stadium in Adelaide. That is my totally biased, impractical and selfish opinion.

All arguements to the contrary are deeply flawed and should be dismissed immediately!

The players running out on to a familiar ground is an advantage.

The fans feeling at home and pumped up is an advantage.

The fact that you don't have to travel anywhere is an advantage.

Running down your own tunnel is an advantage.

You get to keep the same routine in an environment which is the most familiar to you. It eases your passage into the game. The fans get to sit in (roughly) their same seats etc and they feel more comfortable and more excited and thus can have a greater impact.

The compact ground allows for a tighter atmosphere.

etc etc

fish eel

Immortal
I would like to see the home ground advantage kept for week 1 of the finals in future years.

It's just a cool reward for finishing in the top four and a reward for the home fans, espcecially STH. The Parra Stadium home finals we've had have been terrific and wouldnt have been the same at a neutral or 'regional' venue....the come from behind against Norths in 98, the win against Newcastle in '99...the floggings of the warriors and manly (terry's a wanker). Good times good times.

lingard

Coach
Just another example of what a farce the eight-team finals system is. Of course St George shouldn't give up their home ground advantage - they earnt it. And the NRL has no right to even ask them to consider a change of venue. It sets up a possible rift situation. The CEO would have to consider the monetary aspect, and the coach would have to consider the playing advantage. What a f**kin' joke that the NRL adopts a system where the top four teams get a home ground advantage and then, when the time comes, say to them "look, if we give you some money, will you reconsider?" It's all money, money, money. It's sickening. Good on St George for not bowing to the pressure. Well done!

A better system all round would be for all finals games to be played at a neutral venue.

Latest posts