What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: American footy thread

T-Boon

Coach
One way to settle this is to pick a team. Who is the first player you pick? All time? And you use school rules - you miss a pick and then it's likely the other team will grab him.

So NFL - whose is your first pick? Is it Brady, Manning? Or someone in another position?

I'd scoop up the best player, so I'd go Jerry Rice because then if you went Tom Brady I'd go DE Lawrence Taylor knowing you don't need another QB so you can choose the second best non QB player ever who ever that was (Jim Brown running back), so the next best QB is still left so I'd pick Joe Montana.
Good game.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
I'd scope up the best player, so I'd go Jerry Rice because then if you went Tom Brady I'd go DE Lawrence Taylor knowing you don't need another QB so you can chose the second best non QB player ever who ever that was (Jim Brown running back), so the next best QB is still left so I'd pick Joe Montana.
Good game.

I'm taking LT first pick. Whatever QB you choose is in trouble, so I can take second or third pick there. Then I'm taking Deion Sanders. Montana would definitely be good to have.

T-Boon

Coach
I'm taking LT first pick. Whatever QB you choose is in trouble, so I can take second or third pick there. Then I'm taking Deion Sanders. Montana would definitely be good to have.

I just looked it up to make an argument but I say Joe Montana is better than Tom Brady because Joe Montana led Notre Dame to a National Championship as starting QB while Tom Brady did not, he was a back up in 1997 when Michigan won a NC, then when Brady took over as the starting QB at Michigan they went backwards slightly.

One way to settle this is to pick a team. Who is the first player you pick? All time? And you use school rules - you miss a pick and then it's likely the other team will grab him.

So NFL - whose is your first pick? Is it Brady, Manning? Or someone in another position?

What rules are you playing? Today's rules? Yeh you go a QB. Old time, you go a RB like Brown or Walter Payton.

Any rules. Versatile players will adapt.

They can adapt all they like, but it doesn't change the fact that different positions become more or less important under different rules. You used to be able to smash the living shit out of receivers and quarterbacks with little consequence. If you are playing under those rules, you pick Jim Brown, and hope you next pick the best run-blocking offensive line you can scoop.

Parra

Referee
They can adapt all they like, but it doesn't change the fact that different positions become more or less important under different rules. You used to be able to smash the living shit out of receivers and quarterbacks with little consequence. If you are playing under those rules, you pick Jim Brown, and hope you next pick the best run-blocking offensive line you can scoop.

Yes rules and tactics change - so do the players. Jim Brown would adapt. So would LT, so would Tom Brady. Maybe some of the big lugs don't get that choice - but they are always needed somewhere.

Yes rules and tactics change - so do the players. Jim Brown would adapt. So would LT, so would Tom Brady. Maybe some of the big lugs don't get that choice - but they are always needed somewhere.

Yeh but your question was 'which player would you pick first?'. And while players would do their best to adapt, the importance of each position changes massively over time. Under today's rules, you pick Brady. Back in the day you wouldn't, but that's no knock on Brady.

Parra

Referee
Yeh but your question was 'which player would you pick first?'. And while players would do their best to adapt, the importance of each position changes massively over time. Under today's rules, you pick Brady. Back in the day you wouldn't, but that's no knock on Brady.

I wouldn't pick Brady first. Under todays rules. Brady never played against LT, nor did most QB's.
Hardly matters.

I wouldn't pick Brady first. Under todays rules. Brady never played against LT, nor did most QB's.
Hardly matters.

Yep, and Taylor never played under today's rules. Today's game is made for the best decision-makers and that's what Brady is. I don't personally like him (or his head coach), but FFS, he has has achieved a lot with a whole bunch of different players around him and in his defensive line-up.

Parra

Referee
No doubt Brady's biggest strength is making the right decision. When it matters. Over and over.

I'd love to have seen Rodgers play in the Pats lineup with Pats coaches as well.

I'm not anti-Brady by any stretch.

Big Marn

Juniors
Any rules. Versatile players will adapt.
so if its any rules, if i just pick the whole 85 Bears team based on what they could get away with on defence in 1985 would your BEST team made up of individual players be able to beat me?
(assuming the loss to Dolphins was an anomaly and Bears play to their optimum when they play your team)

T.S Quint

Coach
Rumours r they might go Murray at qb for no.1, crazy times

I hope so.
They do need a QB but surely there ain’t one worth picking that high. Maybe they will trade down, still get Murray and another team desperate for a pass rusher (Raiders maybe) could swoop in and take Bosa.

jk13

First Grade
Either way we are in the box seat - bosa, Williams or trade down, all options have positive outcomes. Maybe nrl players would behave more in the offseason if they could be placed on the trade block or were looking at free agency, too much spare time is the devils work...