What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American State of Origin

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
Their should be a State of Origin in America. Except call it something else.
Franklin v Lincoln conference. I think it could have a good pull for the game. Have it at the end of the comp as a selection for the USA side.
Have the 10 Rounds plus finals
Then 3 game series Franklin v Lincoln
Then USA go on tour or teams tour to the USA.

Thats about 20 games a year. It will give them better competition and making them stronger.

Sharkie™

Juniors
id watch that, developing america as a RL nation would be huge for the game itself and they have the population and money to do it.

There has been a Lincoln Conference v Franklin Conference game the past year or two but not a series. It's not a bad idea except the rivalry between the conferences probably isn't high. While the conferences are north/south to a degree the division isn't clear like NSW/Qld.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The Southeastern Rugby League (The Southern Division of the AMNRL that owns the Jacksonville Axemen) are looking into some stuff about this.
There will be more coming soon but a game may not take place until 2007.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Wouldnt it be better to concentrate on the clubs making sure they get established with Juniors/Youth teams and spending time and money with that rather than attempt to do a State Of Origin thing? Why do people feel they need to do a State Of Origin thing? Just because it works in Australia doesnt mean it will in USA. Is there really the great rivalry between the Southern part of the USA and the Northern like say Queensland and NSW. Just feel its time and money that could be better spent within the clubs themselves certainly at Youth level

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Kaiser, I don't think anyone would expect a fierce origin type rivalry, and perhaps origin is the wrong concept, and a plain residency based match or series would be better. I think the key is to have some sort of regular representative series.

With a core of 11 teams to select from, as well as "random" players who seem to crop up in the west from time to time, a representative series like this would give players an opportunity to compete at a higher level and so to further build their game. I think that if it is affordable within the constraints of the budget, then a decent annual rep series would be great to continue building the standard.

colonel_123

Juniors
Der Kaiser said:
Is there really the great rivalry between the Southern part of the USA and the Northern like say Queensland and NSW.

Yes, considering the Northern and Southern parts of the US fought a war against each other!

There is still bitter and intense rivalry and even hatred from both sides stemming from the conflict and aftermath.

The rivalry is so much more intense then NSW - Queensland for it to not even rate a comparison!

roopy

Referee
I'd like to see them add an under 23's inter conference game as an undercard to the main game - and maybe an under 18s game in a few years time.

The under 23's would arguably be a better tool to bring on new rep players than the open age game.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Has there been much if any history of North v South in sporting competitions in recent decades? I tend to think that a North v South game or series could be a fantastic promotional tool for rugby league in the US, provided that its not too politically problematic.