What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL Expansion

RedVee

First Grade
Hopefully they both keep expanding and have a Superbowl-like game to end each season.
Agreed.
It is almost a north/south divide. I'm guessing that eventually they may organise on those lines, perhaps with a "Civil War" rep game?
Both N & S could end up with east and west coast conferences.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
The AMNRL will have a strong competition this year,

The New York Knights will be stronger than ever! Some exciting sponsers about to be announced. 10 Year anniverary season!

There has been some interseting developments from the other teams. The AMNRL still has the most contacts. This still has a long way to go. Very exciting!

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
If they can get an All-Stars game between the two competitions (as a selector for the national team) and if they can get a Super Bowl-style Grand Final between the two competitions, this could actually be a really good thing for RL in America!

Everyone has kind of gotten a bit of what they wanted here. Yeah, the leagues themselves may be weaker in quality due to a spread of the talent, but we could see twice as much expansion with two boards looking to recruit for their own leagues (competition nearly always improves work effort), and teams who may not agree with the direction one is going in may agree with the other. If the leagues are run in different ways in which people prefer, then there is a little something for everyone.

If one is clearly a lot stronger than the other, then we will see over time.

I just hope that there isn't that much bad blood between the two that a National Grand Final cannot be organised at some point, or (main worry) that USARL players are overlooked for the national team. An All-Stars game is another huge event they could add to the calendar. Possibly something to try and get expansion going in new area by playing it there (could be considered "neutral" then).

It is almost a north/south divide.

Will we see the AMNRL looking to expand south into USARL territory and vice-versa? Is this a good idea or might it be best to have each competition focus on their own geographical area and let the other competition develop their own territories?

If the USARL wanted to be just a southern conference it wouldn't include Boston or Pittsburg. What we will see is teams within 50 miles of each other who will not play against each other. Like the sides from New York and Philly in each comp.

applesauce

Bench
I am not a fan of the split. Not because of a crowded market place (because the US is so big these teams will be fine even in close proximity) but the spread of talent.

We are trying to sell a product to a new market and right now teams' talent pools such as NY and Phillie have shrunk due to the multiple bases.

If I was a new fan I would want it to be a professional as possible with little 50-0 games etc. The split may not effect the market but can indirectly effect how the game is viewed by fans, sponsors and the wider community because the overall product and skills on show could suffer.

Spitty

Juniors
If the AMNRL does go in the direction of expansion west, I'm deeply concerned about some teams ability to travel.

From what I understand, Jacksonville survived because they were one of the richest teams and could afford on most occassions to travel up to the North East, where the remainder of the teams were located. How on earth can a new start up Franchise from Seattle even afford to travel to their nearest rivals which would probably be a California based team, let alone travelling to the east coast for games. Chicago have no near rivals they're smach bang in the middle. Every away game would be a flight.

I know David Nui is an optimistic guy, but surely this is a stone cold reality. I hope I'm wrong though.

roopy

Referee
I am not a fan of the split. Not because of a crowded market place (because the US is so big these teams will be fine even in close proximity) but the spread of talent.

We are trying to sell a product to a new market and right now teams' talent pools such as NY and Phillie have shrunk due to the multiple bases.

If I was a new fan I would want it to be a professional as possible with little 50-0 games etc. The split may not effect the market but can indirectly effect how the game is viewed by fans, sponsors and the wider community because the overall product and skills on show could suffer.
the trade off is that the US has gone from 11 to 17 teams overnight. More than 50% growth - the best expansion year yet.

But that mau have happened anyway. In fact the split may prevent other clubs from joining for one reason or another. We need to see how many of that 17 actually gets on the field too.

roopy

Referee
But that mau have happened anyway. In fact the split may prevent other clubs from joining for one reason or another. We need to see how many of that 17 actually gets on the field too.
IMO the lower standards will make it more likely new clubs will join.
I have been saying for a few years they need to find a way for beginners to find an entry level comp, because the standard was getting too good for first time players.
Their is still the problem of having players of near NSW cup standard like Daniel wagon lining up against someone who has never played a game, but at least there will be rookies across the comp, instead of a few blokes trying to compete against much better players.

roopy

Referee
Fast expansion in a new market is good how? (Think of the A-League)
I can't believe that question.

Even if it turns out to be 2 steps forward and one step back, as it usually does in the US, expansion is great, and rapid expansion is even better.

pennpool

Juniors
So the team break down is as follows:

USARL:
Premier Division:
Boston 13's
D.C. Slayers
Fairfax Eagles
Jacksonville Axemen
New Haven Warriors
Philadelphia Fight
Pittsburgh Vipers
New Jersey Knights (New)
Kodiak Rugby New York (New)

Jacksonville Second Division
Jacksonville Axemen Reserves
Orlando
Daytona

AMNRL
Aston Bulls
Bucks County Sharks (Returning)
Connecticut Wildcats
New York/Northern Raiders
New York Knights
Media Mantarays (Possibly returning?)

Unconfirmed
Chicago Stockyarders / Mid West Rugby League
Dallas Dragons
Denver Wolverines
Las Vegas Blackjacks RFC
Maui Rugby
Orange County Outlaws
San Francisco Golden Gate Rugby
Seattle Force
Rose City Rugby League
Utah Rugby League

So at least the positive on just the confirmed AMNRL / USARL teams is that the number of active teams has increased from 11 this year to 17.

It will be interesting to see with the other leagues/teams which way they go and whether they will stick with the AMNRL, or try to join the USARL, or will jump between the two dependent on what suits their needs.

the bucks county sharks have committed to neither league. there is a team meeting tonight. 1 board member will not be present so there should be no official vote till later in the month.

pennpool

Juniors
If they can get an All-Stars game between the two competitions (as a selector for the national team) and if they can get a Super Bowl-style Grand Final between the two competitions, this could actually be a really good thing for RL in America!

Everyone has kind of gotten a bit of what they wanted here. Yeah, the leagues themselves may be weaker in quality due to a spread of the talent, but we could see twice as much expansion with two boards looking to recruit for their own leagues (competition nearly always improves work effort), and teams who may not agree with the direction one is going in may agree with the other. If the leagues are run in different ways in which people prefer, then there is a little something for everyone.

If one is clearly a lot stronger than the other, then we will see over time.

I just hope that there isn't that much bad blood between the two that a National Grand Final cannot be organised at some point, or (main worry) that USARL players are overlooked for the national team. An All-Stars game is another huge event they could add to the calendar. Possibly something to try and get expansion going in new area by playing it there (could be considered "neutral" then).

this will be the case as even players in the amnrl have been overlooked in the past even when it was a singular league.

joshreading

Staff member
Fast expansion in a new market is good how? (Think of the A-League)

It is RIDICULOUS to try and compare a professional competition with huge overheads, TV contracts and a dependence on a significant fan base, corporate sponsorship and TV Coverage to a amateur competition. A new club in the USA needs a limited fan base (most are obviously operating on essentially none), limited sponsorship. The key thing that matters is playing base and enough money to cover the basics (insurance/field etc)

If 50 teams came up with the basics it would be madness to reject them. Rugby League in the next five or so years has the potential to increase to 50 plus teams (there are already 26 plus potential teams as it stands on some level for 2011 - with areas such as Hawaii and Utah having potential for their own mini comps)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yeah. I haven't kept close tabs on the USA for a while but its actually alot bigger then I expected. I thought it was just the 7 or 8 teams in the comp. Turns out they have many more and are at a cross roads with their future.

Latest posts