What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Analysis on Benjis' behavior

aqua_duck

Coach
Does Benji defend on the left or right hand edge? If its the left I might buy Tariq Sims for supercoach

gronkathon

First Grade
Benji has talked up proving himself.

Get ready kids in row 7 in the grandstands, you have some catching practice headed your way

MuTT

Juniors
Earlier in the year Farah was benched at the end of a game. Farah was livid, but it made him work harder after that.

I noticed Robbie had an early shower last week aswell , was still about 10-15 mins left in the game from memory.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think last week was more about having given his all, recognising the situation in terms of the game and upcoming rep schedule and giving him an early mark

Leaguefan22

Juniors
Is it too early to right Benji off? He is only 28. People once wrote Lockyer off as well (see the most embarrassing article in the history of Rugby League below). Worth noting after Gus wrote this article Lockyer went on to win a premiership, captain 6 Origin winning series in a row, captain numerous tests, break records, win a golden boot and cement himself as a certain immortal.

By Phil Gould
May 28, 2006

Darren Lockyer Age: 29
First-grade games: 245
Tests: 30
Origins for Queensland: 22
Record: Played in Brisbane's premiership-winning teams 1997, '98 and 2000
Clive Churchill medallist, 2000
Golden Boot award for best player in the world in 2003

THESE statistics don't do Darren Lockyer's career justice. The brilliance and skill of his play can't be described in mere numbers. He's been a great player for club, state and country.

That's what makes my next comment so hard to make.

It's time for Queensland to ask Darren to step down from their State of Origin team. It's always dangerous to criticise a champion and I'm not going to.

I wouldn't drop him, either, but I'd have a serious talk to him about his future and the future of the Queensland team.

The Maroons need to think long and hard about the development of their team and I can't see Lockyer being part of this process. I have many reasons to support this suggestion but consider these:

Lockyer looks stressed. He's trying but not much is working. I know he threw a couple of good passes late in the game on Wednesday night but it wasn't one of his better performances.

Lockyer's presence gives the Queensland team an air of predictability. It seems their plan on Wednesday was a couple of hit-ups before throwing the ball two passes wide to Lockyer.

He's a great player but he has only a couple of tricks in his game. NSW players know them well and that makes it very difficult for him to have an impact. The bad passes, dropped ball and gang tackles on his ball-runners all came from his being heavily marked.

His kicking game is also predictable and easily pressured.

Lockyer's presence restricts the other creative players. We didn't see enough of Cameron Smith probing out of dummy-half or Matt Bowen getting his hands on the ball at first receiver. The Johnathan Thurston/Bowen combination failed to materialise. Thurston is a much better five-eighth than halfback and Scott Prince is their best No.7 option.

The Maroons' kicking game was poor. Prince can fix that and provide his own style of creativity. Aaron Payne's speed and craftiness out of dummy-half would suit these instinctive players.

People suggest Lockyer should be moved to fullback. I've said this in past years but I think that move is now beyond him. It would be unfair on Lockyer to play him at fullback at Origin level after he's played so long at five-eighth. Queensland have younger and faster men to return the ball from the back.

Bowen, Greg Inglis, Rhys Wesser, Billy Slater and Karmichael Hunt appear more representative of what the modern-day fullback is all about.

The past doesn't equal the future. When Queensland develop their next great team, I don't think Lockyer will be part of it. So bite the bullet. The Maroons need to modernise their game.

Payne, Prince, Thurston, Bowen and Inglis are the Origin stars of the future. Find them some big, mobile, aggressive young forwards to play behind and watch them go.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Many great players have had to retire. Who knows, maybe in two years, with the series on the line, Lockyer could make a brief comeback, as Allan Langer, Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns did, and produce the fairytale finish the greats truly deserve. It's a tough call but it needs to be considered.

eozsmiles

Bench
I remember Tim Sheens saying on NRL 360 at the start of the year that players get coaches sacked with a read between the lines type face.

This is sort of a gimme in the sense that if a team plays sh*t then they lose and the coach is under pressure. But yeah, they can get flicked for their personality or any number of other reasons too. The players run the club and bring in the $$$, they get looked after.

The media is full of ex-players who seem pretty united in their view that players have to like their coach to do their best. This BS puts the players somewhere between being spoilt brats or borderline special needs. It's a bit insulting to the players who go hard no matter who is in charge, and a bit insulting to the man in the street. Not too many people can walk into the front office at work and ask for a pay rise AND to have their boss sacked AND to have one of their mates sign on. Fair dinkum.....almost sounds like a joke.

The Tigers are a handy case study because they are different to some other teams. Teams generally sell tickets because of the players, not the coaches. At Wests it is two players above all others that the fans follow. If Farah went to Parra and Benji went to NZ then the Tigers crowds would drop and they'd get less time on FTA.

So what does the club do when they kick up a stink? Whatever they have to. If they have to move the coach they will ie Sheens. Daniel Anderson has been moved on twice because the players found him too hard. If they have to sign a certain player they will ie Moltzen. Rumour has it they are trying to move on Blair, maybe that will help the mood.

Players run the club no doubt.

Knightmare

Coach
Is it too early to right Benji off? He is only 28. People once wrote Lockyer off as well (see the most embarrassing article in the history of Rugby League below). Worth noting after Gus wrote this article Lockyer went on to win a premiership, captain 6 Origin winning series in a row, captain numerous tests, break records, win a golden boot and cement himself as a certain immortal.

By Phil Gould
May 28, 2006

Darren Lockyer Age: 29
First-grade games: 245
Tests: 30
Origins for Queensland: 22
Record: Played in Brisbane's premiership-winning teams 1997, '98 and 2000
Clive Churchill medallist, 2000
Golden Boot award for best player in the world in 2003

THESE statistics don't do Darren Lockyer's career justice. The brilliance and skill of his play can't be described in mere numbers. He's been a great player for club, state and country.

That's what makes my next comment so hard to make.

It's time for Queensland to ask Darren to step down from their State of Origin team. It's always dangerous to criticise a champion and I'm not going to.

I wouldn't drop him, either, but I'd have a serious talk to him about his future and the future of the Queensland team.

The Maroons need to think long and hard about the development of their team and I can't see Lockyer being part of this process. I have many reasons to support this suggestion but consider these:

Lockyer looks stressed. He's trying but not much is working. I know he threw a couple of good passes late in the game on Wednesday night but it wasn't one of his better performances.

Lockyer's presence gives the Queensland team an air of predictability. It seems their plan on Wednesday was a couple of hit-ups before throwing the ball two passes wide to Lockyer.

He's a great player but he has only a couple of tricks in his game. NSW players know them well and that makes it very difficult for him to have an impact. The bad passes, dropped ball and gang tackles on his ball-runners all came from his being heavily marked.

His kicking game is also predictable and easily pressured.

Lockyer's presence restricts the other creative players. We didn't see enough of Cameron Smith probing out of dummy-half or Matt Bowen getting his hands on the ball at first receiver. The Johnathan Thurston/Bowen combination failed to materialise. Thurston is a much better five-eighth than halfback and Scott Prince is their best No.7 option.

The Maroons' kicking game was poor. Prince can fix that and provide his own style of creativity. Aaron Payne's speed and craftiness out of dummy-half would suit these instinctive players.

People suggest Lockyer should be moved to fullback. I've said this in past years but I think that move is now beyond him. It would be unfair on Lockyer to play him at fullback at Origin level after he's played so long at five-eighth. Queensland have younger and faster men to return the ball from the back.

Bowen, Greg Inglis, Rhys Wesser, Billy Slater and Karmichael Hunt appear more representative of what the modern-day fullback is all about.

The past doesn't equal the future. When Queensland develop their next great team, I don't think Lockyer will be part of it. So bite the bullet. The Maroons need to modernise their game.

Payne, Prince, Thurston, Bowen and Inglis are the Origin stars of the future. Find them some big, mobile, aggressive young forwards to play behind and watch them go.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Many great players have had to retire. Who knows, maybe in two years, with the series on the line, Lockyer could make a brief comeback, as Allan Langer, Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns did, and produce the fairytale finish the greats truly deserve. It's a tough call but it needs to be considered.

Well, hindsight makes a genius of us all. There is no denying that, at the time, Locky was down on form and had been for a while. Had Brett Hodgson not thrown the mother of all hospital passes in Game 3, Locky would have been stripped of the Maroons captaincy, and State of Origin as we know it would be dead.

Special K

Coach
If Carney had signed with Penrith I think we would be reading about Benji wanting to go to the sharks in the papers by now.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Benji hasn't been good since about 2011 I've always thought he was overrated and a big sook and his constant media stuff has to be taking away from his game he should learn from beau beau wasn't that good to start off with but he acknowledged it and was working hard to improve and he has to the point that the sharks have him and he's been great for them.

Benji needs to go from the tigers go to the eels go to the broncoes I don't care but staying at the tigers benji will be known as a player who was brilliant and stuffed himself.

Sleep

Juniors
Benji has always been overrated and has never added wrinkles to his game. He's still the same impatient player he always has been. Always looking for the knockout punch rather than grinding and settling into a game and building pressure.

He gets too kick happy in attack and goes wide before going forward. I can't remember the last time I saw him in really good form. He's been average at best for at least 18 months now.

Comparing him to Lockyer is hilarious. Lockyers game was always evolving and while he had a down patch, it wasn't as long or as bad as Benji's. He was still playing finals footy every year and had just changed positions when everyone got on his back. Low and behold at years end he was lifting every trophy. It took him time to settle in and learn his new role.

I wouldn't want Benji at my club. He's a one trick pony.

eozsmiles

Bench
Benji has always been overrated and has never added wrinkles to his game. He's still the same impatient player he always has been. Always looking for the knockout punch rather than grinding and settling into a game and building pressure.

He gets too kick happy in attack and goes wide before going forward. I can't remember the last time I saw him in really good form. He's been average at best for at least 18 months now.

Comparing him to Lockyer is hilarious. Lockyers game was always evolving and while he had a down patch, it wasn't as long or as bad as Benji's. He was still playing finals footy every year and had just changed positions when everyone got on his back. Low and behold at years end he was lifting every trophy. It took him time to settle in and learn his new role.

I wouldn't want Benji at my club. He's a one trick pony.

Even when Locky was personally out of form he wasn't fu**ing too much up, still able to organise, I think he has a greater presence than Benji as a leader. When Benji can't play fast and off the cuff he comes back to the pack, Locky could bring team mates into the game better. IMO.

SydneyRaider9

Juniors
Any smart club would not sign Marshall for any more than 2 years, nor give him the money he wants. He will have to settle for less if he wants to stay in the NRL