What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anasta can't talk to Souths

rabs

Staff member
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15688209-23214,00.html

By Steve Jancetic
June 21, 2005

OFF-contract Bulldogs star Braith Anasta has been denied permission to negotiate with South Sydney as the NRL club's chances of keeping gun forward Willie Mason appear to be worsening.

Anasta's manager, Greg Willett, tried to accelerate a decision on the 23-year-old's future by bringing forward talks with the Rabbitohs ahead of the NRL's June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

The Rabbitohs are rumoured to be putting together an offer of up to $500,000 a season for the New South Wales pivot.

But Bulldogs media manager Chris O'Brien said the club had rejected Willett's request as the club failed to see how the move would enhance the Bulldogs' chances of re-signing Anasta.

Willett, who said he had yet to personally hear a reply from the club, said the Bulldogs had only delayed the inevitable.

"I am going to go and see Souths about it, so if I have to wait until June 30 to see Souths, that's fine," Willett said.

"I know what Canterbury is offering me but I don't know what Souths are going to offer, so I'm going to wait to find out when I can talk to Souths."

Willett said he spoke to the Bulldogs at a dinner on Friday about talking to the Rabbitohs before June 30.

"I said: Why don't you give me permission ... to go and see Souths and see what it really is?" Willett said.

"They said: Yeah, that's not a bad idea, we'll have a talk about it over the weekend and we'll let you know Monday morning.
"I never heard nothing on Monday morning so I thought, that's fine, that means they're not going to go ahead and do it. I don't have a problem with that."

Negotiations between the Bulldogs and Mason have also reached a standstill after talks broke down yesterday.

Mason, rumoured to be in the sights of the Sydney Roosters and the Sharks, is set to test his value on the open market.

Melbourne is also waiting nervously for a response from one of its stars.

The Storm has tabled offers to halfback Matt Orford and Sydney Roosters backrower Michael Crocker.

The club has asked for responses before the anti-tampering deadline expires.

English Super League clubs have expressed interest in Orford, and he is believed to be in the sights of the Gold Coast franchise for its inaugural team in 2007.

"It is coming towards that crunch time," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said.

"We will know more about Orford probably tomorrow.

"We told Michael we will come back to him in a week and let him take that time to go and think about it."

rabs

Staff member
ok is the money Souths are offering him $800,00 as reported last week or around $500,00 as reported here

where will Anasta go?, my guess is home to the bunnies but who is in the know?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
why should he be above the rules, he aint that good

he can wait till June 30. like everyone else

ibeme

First Grade
This quote from Willett interested me:

"I know what Canterbury is offering me but I don't know what Souths are going to offer, so I'm going to wait to find out when I can talk to Souths."

Has he forgotten that he's acting on behalf of Anasta? It seems he's only acting on behalf of himself judging by that comment.

He gets a cut out of whatever the contract amount is so he's technically correct, even if it doesn't sound very good.

menai_dogs

Juniors
i think the dogs just suck. plain and simple. anasta is smart if he does take that deal. wouldnt he be one of the hisghest paid players in the nrel if he does take the 500,000 deal? mason will be leaving aswell. the dogs rely on 19 year olds these days...

drake

First Grade
I don't see how the NRL can ratify any contract between Souths and Anasta after the blatant offers through the media and George Piggins.
I hope he doesn't go, Souths do not need to spend a ridiculous amount of money on Anasta.
If it was Lockyer, yeah, Anasta no.

avsterooster

Juniors
drake your right that they shouldnt spend that much money on anasta...

however that is the only way they are going to get a reasonable player to come across. I say reasonable because i dont think he is anymore, you think they would be talking about a lockyer or a johns the way people talk about anasta

they need to offer a ridiculous amount of money for anyone remotely good to come to their club until they start becoming competitive.

drake

First Grade
Fair enough, but I think they should sign some good up and comers, and build the team around the future stars they have; Sutton and Trent Young.

Guys like Logan and Cusack are providing some experience and go forward.
I think they need to get some good outside backs and a few forwards.
Souths will come good if they don't drive away the talent they are starting to build by giving all the cash to a few "marquee" players.
I can understand the souths need to pay overs to get players, but double?
Eggs all in one basket is never a good idea.

Latest posts