What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And on this Morris thing ...

jasonl

Juniors
I don't know how many experts on this board have actually played the game, let alone being graded.

The thing is, high end football teams are full of primadonnas and drama queens - reading their own press and believing their own bullsh*t.

In order to effectively function however, the team needs the quintissential "team man" - an individual of lesser talent who nonetheless is there week in and week out, playing with 100% commitment - which in turn gives the "stars" some breathing room.

The two team men at Wests are Chris Hieghington and John Morris.

These type of guys are imo what the game is really about.

Sure, Morris is no Daley - we all know that. But in the modern game the 5/8 is generally used as an extra lock (as started in the 90's with Peter Jackson at Norths). Unless you are using it as your playmaker like Lockyer at the Broncos, it's largely a defensive role.

Wests defence is at the best of times shambolic. It's not necessarily their fault. Sheens is an attacking coach. Period. And not really his fault either. Look at the team he had in the mid 90's - Stuart, Walters, Daley. Clyde, Mullins, Croker, Nagas, Nadruku et al. Possibly the best attacking club side of all time. Defence? Who needs stinking defence?

So in 2005, thanks to a coach who thinks (and thinks pretty well) nothing but attacking architecture and an extraordinary halfback in Scott Prince, you guys get the bisciuts (and well deserved - take another look at the St George match if in doubt).

But the loss of Prince has been a death nell. Can you imagine a club like Brisbane or St George letting him go?

But I digress. IMO Morris is worth the salary. A genuine footballer.

While Halatau arm tackles, Collis daydreams and Gibbs is just Gibbs, this guy puts in.

Like I said, if you've played the game at a decent level you'd know that.

Jason

Eddie.

Bench
congrats for playing the game at a decent level jasonl.

However the Morris threads are becoming boring and this one a tad patronising babbling on about knowing more because you played the game. Congrats buddy. Tigers fans are pretty fair to John Morris. We always admire his efforts and professionalism. Doesn't mean we should be happy he was signed as a replacment for Prince and still plays in the halves despite having none of the attributes of one. Most of the anger is directed at Tim Sheens..

Last edited:
lol

Here 5 minutes and knows everything.

No one has to have played the game "at a decent level" to understand that Morris is a goer and can tackle, but has the attacking skills of Gumby. Name one other 5/8 or half without a try assist in their last 20 games?

Then name a coach who would keep them there.

You also didn't mention that most of Morris' games with us in the halves have been at half, not 5/8. Now, tell your "modern game" story again, with him in at half, not 5/8.

FFS even Ben Rogers gets them.

Morris isn't the only problem, but he has been a problem for a long time because he's playing in the halves.

Personally, I preferred the Fitzy worshippers.

westie

Bench
I'd give a lot if I played FG - doesn't mean I should be there.

You've just named the two most over-rated defenders in the squad. Nothing doing upstairs me thinks.

jasonl

Juniors
Hey, it was meant as constructive critisim OK?

I thought there were some resonable points made, possibly worthy of spirited debate.

Instead I just get flamed.

What exactly do you want from this board fellas - an open free flowing exchange of ideas or a star chamber?

You guys know your league, no doubt, but following the board the past few weeks there just seems to be so much ill directed antagonism towards certain individuals and Morris is the primary bunny.

Hell, I didn't mean to lord it over anyone but I've played with guys like Morris and they're hardcore, good value team men.

If your first grade team is leaking 40 points per match the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Apologies for any offence.

jasonl

Juniors
I'd give a lot if I played FG - doesn't mean I should be there.

You've just named the two most over-rated defenders in the squad. Nothing doing upstairs me thinks.

Sure Westie, maybe time for a Bex and a good lie down.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
IMO Morris is worth the salary. A genuine footballer.

Morris is nothing more than a good athlete. Does not have an ounce of a footballing brain.

Have no doubt that he is of some value to the squad, probably as a lock, or off the bench.

He should not EVER play in the halves though. End of story,.

jasonl

Juniors
lol

Here 5 minutes and knows everything.

No one has to have played the game "at a decent level" to understand that Morris is a goer and can tackle, but has the attacking skills of Gumby. Name one other 5/8 or half without a try assist in their last 20 games?

Then name a coach who would keep them there.

You also didn't mention that most of Morris' games with us in the halves have been at half, not 5/8. Now, tell your "modern game" story again, with him in at half, not 5/8.

FFS even Ben Rogers gets them.

Morris isn't the only problem, but he has been a problem for a long time because he's playing in the halves.

Personally, I preferred the Fitzy worshippers.

Yeah I guess this is getting old. Morris was contrated in desperation following the departure of Prince. The man is obviously not a halfback as evidenced by Farrah (much to his displeasure) being forced into 7 for much of the season. Fact is, there are very few quality halves on the market. Just what happened to Matt Head I have no idea but in the words of the infamous Donald Rumsfeld "you use the Army that you've got". btw, never worshipped Fitzy bro - too sideways.

Ah, the modern game ...

gregstar

Referee
....But in the modern game the 5/8 is generally used as an extra lock (as started in the 90's with Peter Jackson at Norths)......
heard of brian clay?

in his years with saints, steve rodgers played both lock & 5/8, switching with graeme o'grady.

Navjot

Juniors
heard of brian clay?

in his years with saints, steve rodgers played both lock & 5/8, switching with graeme o'grady.

Yeah and poor old john morris aint in any of those guys league, hes a hooker maybe lock that tries hard and thats that, a 6 or 7 he aint, but teflon must persist until it kills us.

N.C.

Juniors
good thread, jason. gets too easy just to sit back and say "aaah, sh....t". we're all guilty of it. nice to see some footy talk for a change...

tiger_nick

Bench
john morris is the worst half the wests tigers have ever had. i would take glenn air or ben black over him any day of the week.

its just a shame we've been knocked back by a retired bloke on one knee who still would have been a better 5/8 then the f*ckstick johhny cronk.

Nuts

Juniors
lol

"Here 5 minutes and knows everything."

So what...... because he hasn't posted on the League Unlimited Forum he knows nothing......... so I guess Jack Gibson knew nothing about rugby league....... I think it is more sad that some f&ckin' internet knob has over 30,000 posts and clealry no life. Obviously anyone close to you doesn't want to hear your sh*t so you come on here to let out your fustrations, and it would seem quite clear you have many, hence the reason you have over 30K posts :lol:

Nuts

Juniors
Hey, it was meant as constructive critisim OK?

I thought there were some resonable points made, possibly worthy of spirited debate.

Instead I just get flamed.

What exactly do you want from this board fellas - an open free flowing exchange of ideas or a star chamber?

You guys know your league, no doubt, but following the board the past few weeks there just seems to be so much ill directed antagonism towards certain individuals and Morris is the primary bunny.

Hell, I didn't mean to lord it over anyone but I've played with guys like Morris and they're hardcore, good value team men.

If your first grade team is leaking 40 points per match the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Apologies for any offence.

Don't apologise!! The more you upset them the better - all these geniuss think that if you make heaps posts on the League Unlimited Forum then you know more about the game than anyone else. Truth is they are just not getting any at home and have to come on here to vent!!

but back to JM - I 100% agree - we have bigger problems than Morris at the moment - I just don't think he should be our 5/8

jasonl

Juniors
good thread, jason. gets too easy just to sit back and say "aaah, sh....t". we're all guilty of it. nice to see some footy talk for a change...

Yeah, cool NC - how about we all talk a bit of football and forget the egos and obvious mental conotations associated with 30K posts.

I have no affiliation but this Wests team to me is by far the most interesting outfit running around.

Worth commenting on.

Jason

MacDougall

First Grade
Yeah, cool NC - how about we all talk a bit of football and forget the egos and obvious mental conotations associated with 30K posts.

I have no affiliation but this Wests team to me is by far the most interesting outfit running around.

Worth commenting on.

Jason

Bears supporter?

Yeah I guess this is getting old. Morris was contrated in desperation following the departure of Prince. The man is obviously not a halfback as evidenced by Farrah (much to his displeasure) being forced into 7 for much of the season. Fact is, there are very few quality halves on the market. Just what happened to Matt Head I have no idea but in the words of the infamous Donald Rumsfeld "you use the Army that you've got". btw, never worshipped Fitzy bro - too sideways.

Ah, the modern game ...

Now you're talkin'...

lol

"Here 5 minutes and knows everything."

So what...... because he hasn't posted on the League Unlimited Forum he knows nothing......... so I guess Jack Gibson knew nothing about rugby league....... I think it is more sad that some f&ckin' internet knob has over 30,000 posts and clealry no life. Obviously anyone close to you doesn't want to hear your sh*t so you come on here to let out your fustrations, and it would seem quite clear you have many, hence the reason you have over 30K posts :lol:

Who are you ?

He settled in after his initial posts and I have no dramas with him. Never did to be honest. Always good to get a new poster with knowledge on the forum. Makes up for 'tards like you.

The point was, and as it went right over your head (but not his) I'll explain it, that to come onto a forum for the first time and start barking on about how "you have to have played the game at a decent level to understand" won't get your opinion any respect. There's always at least one smartarse who'll pick it apart just for the hell of it.

So, you can crawl back into that sphincter you came from and wait for the next chance to come out when you feel the need to prove that your ovaries have dropped.