What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns take on us.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Here's my take...we need a new coach with new ideas...we look stale because we've been doing the same thing for the past 9 years without success...We're being led by a bloke who has no idea what it means to coach a first grade NRL team who likes to make excuses when things don't go his way...the majority of the time things don't go his way because other teams have worked out his feeble game plan and expose our weaknesses with ease...rant over...

BLM01

First Grade
If Joey was allowed he could criticse and dissect our performances for an hour as there were bits he missed, though.but did his best in 4 minutes.

Paddles

Juniors
Joey has just basically torn into every element of McGregor's coaching and is genuinely confused that he's being kept on.

- 'They look a tired footy team'
- 'They need some new ideas - look stale'
- 'The voice of Paul McGregor whether [the players are] not listening to him, or the messages are all the same.'
- 'They need a total overhaul - the way they play, the way they call their plays, they need a real freshen up...the way they train in the off-season...days off...weights'
- 'In that six year period when Paul McGregor was coaching, at the end of the year they'd fall off a cliff'
- 'Something's wrong there whether it's physical or mental'
- 'Sometimes you just need a new voice and new ideas, whether it's a new coach or new assistants'

Asked directly if McGregor is safe, replies that 'by all accounts he is because they can't afford to pay him out'. We have established that that is a lie - they are seeking to (or have) signed Flannagan, and are seeking to sign Sheens. But it's telling that there is no defence of McGregor at all.

In addition to the Dragons being a laughing stock, McGregor is now being seen as a joke by the pundits. The Dragons keeping him on this long means he'll find it very difficult to make a comeback elsewhere once he fails again in 2020 and is (hopefully) moved on.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Here's my take...we need a new coach with new ideas...we look stale because we've been doing the same thing for the past 9 years without success...We're being led by a bloke who has no idea what it means to coach a first grade NRL team who likes to make excuses when things don't go his way...the majority of the time things don't go his way because other teams have worked out his feeble game plan and expose our weaknesses with ease...rant over...

This is unfair. You should also have added he has no game strategy, no tactics, no junior development plan and no mentoring capability.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Joey has just basically torn into every element of McGregor's coaching and is genuinely confused that he's being kept on.

- 'They look a tired footy team'
- 'They need some new ideas - look stale'
- 'The voice of Paul McGregor whether [the players are] not listening to him, or the messages are all the same.'
- 'They need a total overhaul - the way they play, the way they call their plays, they need a real freshen up...the way they train in the off-season...days off...weights'
- 'In that six year period when Paul McGregor was coaching, at the end of the year they'd fall off a cliff'
- 'Something's wrong there whether it's physical or mental'
- 'Sometimes you just need a new voice and new ideas, whether it's a new coach or new assistants'

Asked directly if McGregor is safe, replies that 'by all accounts he is because they can't afford to pay him out'. We have established that that is a lie - they are seeking to (or have) signed Flannagan, and are seeking to sign Sheens. But it's telling that there is no defence of McGregor at all.

In addition to the Dragons being a laughing stock, McGregor is now being seen as a joke by the pundits. The Dragons keeping him on this long means he'll find it very difficult to make a comeback elsewhere once he fails again in 2020 and is (hopefully) moved on.
Great post.

Gareth67

First Grade
Most pleased to see Johns join the growing list of ‘ who - who’s ‘ from the media. Quite a scathing criticism of St.George Illawarra in its present state - and also quite appropriate.

More so that he has found numerous aspects of the Dragons playing and training regimens and all round tactics which can only be attributed to the maestro himself.

Perhaps the chorus may become loud enough so as the big wigs of the Joint Venture will have no option other than to get rid of him once and for all ?

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Well, when you're only trick in the book is the so called power game consisting of 4 hit ups, block play, then kick, oh and, while we're at it, lets run all our rep forwards into the ground by not resting them and not using our bench.

No wonder we look stale and tired. Especially when we have been doing the same shit for 5 years because the so called brains trust of Mary, Hornby and Young know nothing else.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Most pleased to see Johns join the growing list of ‘ who - who’s ‘ from the media. Quite a scathing criticism of St.George Illawarra in its present state - and also quite appropriate.

More so that he has found numerous aspects of the Dragons playing and training regimens and all round tactics which can only be attributed to the maestro himself.

Perhaps the chorus may become loud enough so as the big wigs of the Joint Venture will have no option other than to get rid of him once and for all ?
Except that the Media, Johns included, falls over themselves to maintain Mary is the right man for the job.

BLM01

First Grade

No Gazza..I told you it was the High performance units fault that they are tired and fall off a cliff at the end of each season and they are deviod of plays and ideas and mentally not there
Look out Pickworth...your the weakest link...goodbye..Thats the Dragons way

Belta

Juniors
Wow. I’m gob smacked. I never thought I’d hear a media personnel speak with honesty about the dragons disappointing displays over the last 6 seasons. Unfortunately, I believe the scathing criticisms will gather very little attention or support. His criticisms will fall on deaf ears and won’t be repeated by others for self interest reasons. Even so I’ve gained a lot of respect for Johns for calling a spade a spade, something of a rarity these days.

Wow. I’m gob smacked. I never thought I’d hear a media personnel speak with honesty about the dragons disappointing displays over the last 6 seasons. Unfortunately, I believe the scathing criticisms will gather very little attention or support. His criticisms will fall on deaf ears and won’t be repeated by others for self interest reasons. Even so I’ve gained a lot of respect for Johns for calling a spade a spade, something of a rarity these days.
Mary is defying the odds, because in reality there are two types of coaches, those that have been sacked and those waiting to be sacked.

Latest posts