What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Voss' Commentary

Does Andrew Voss need to be institutionalised?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sterlo is fantastic but Channel 9 want new blood.

Vossy is just too loud and everything is the best ever play in rugby league history, In fact all the fox commentators are like that.
Yes its getting very grating that every try is the "greatest you will ever see", well until the next one! That's across Fox, its like they are all given ten cans of redbull and a snort of charlie before the game starts!
All for talking the game up and lifting the excitement level but come on guys these players are paid millions, they bloody well should be able to score a try!

saint.nick

Coach
A few Australian commentators are just shocking. If there's one thing the Poms do better, it's sports commentary. They have charisma, they stay on point, they don't get distracted by how funny they think they are, and they don't talk too much. I'm watching England vs India right now and the Sky Sports broadcast is leagues ahead of anything we have.

I think Dan Ginnane is the best caller at the moment. He's not perfect as I think he flogs the goodbye scream too much, but he's got gravitas.

Voss has it too but as others have already alluded, the games he calls these days feels like a Coney Island version of rugby league

Last edited:

KennySterling

Juniors
Yes its getting very grating that every try is the "greatest you will ever see", well until the next one! That's across Fox, its like they are all given ten cans of redbull and a snort of charlie before the game starts!
All for talking the game up and lifting the excitement level but come on guys these players are paid millions, they bloody well should be able to score a try!
One of the side benefits of Parra' denying Melbourne their record 20th straight win is that it denied Voss being the voice who called 'history'.

You just know he'd have gone in to the bosses and begged to do the game for that very reason. For big games, steady Warren Smith every time for mine.

Starkers

Bench
I'm 100% pro Voss. Given the negative narrative around the game in so many areas, I'll take an overly positive commentator any day of the week. We should all be thankful he calls NRL.

davi

Juniors
I'd rather have Terry Kennedy or Eric Young(they called for Optus back in the day) rather than Voss

No way on Terry Kennedy. Kennedy is a sports journalist at best but he is no rugby league commentator. He would join those panel discussions on the Sunday Roast and was easily the weakest link. He was completely out of his depth. Part time rugby league caller at best but definitely not an expert with in depth knowledge about the game.

davi

Juniors
A few Australian commentators are just shocking. If there's one thing the Poms do better, it's sports commentary. They have charisma, they stay on point, they don't get distracted by how funny they think they are, and they don't talk too much. I'm watching England vs India right now and the Sky Sports broadcast is leagues ahead of anything we have.

I think Dan Ginnane is the best caller at the moment. He's not perfect as I think he flogs the goodbye scream too much, but he's got gravitas.

Voss has it too but as others have already alluded, the games he calls these days feels like a Coney Island version of rugby league

I'm not sure I agree with this. Lets face it there is alot of criticism's about the commentators on these boards some of its justified and some of its not. I have criticised a few, but still feel people on these boards are too fickle about them. Just suggesting that Australian commentators are rubbish compared to England. I think is tad too harsh.

saint.nick

Coach
I'm not sure I agree with this. Lets face it there is alot of criticism's about the commentators on these boards some of its justified and some of its not. I have criticised a few, but still feel people on these boards are too fickle about them. Just suggesting that Australian commentators are rubbish compared to England. I think is tad too harsh.
I don't think it's harsh at all, IMO they just have a better style than modern Australian commentators

Knight76

Juniors
Love Vossy, much better than 9 listening to Rabs slow decline interspersed with Gould soap box.

The_Frog

First Grade
I don't think it's harsh at all, IMO they just have a better style than modern Australian commentators
The Pommy comms were building up Tyrone May as if he were some world beater in the Catalans-Warrington game a couple of weeks back. May is a good 14, and would still hold that spot down at Penrith if he hadn't been so dumb, but what makes you a 14 is not being good enough to make the run on side on a regular basis in any position, even if you can play several. I don't think they did their homework on him and just assumed because he won an NRL premiership he must be some superstar.

Mojo

Bench
I enjoy the humour and turn of phrase in Voss’s commentary. I recall him describing a passage of play, I think it might have been Benji doing his thing, as “playing footy like he was still on grandma’s front lawn”. I can’t tolerate some of the other tossers who think they’re some sort of romantic poets, or who constantly repeat the same ‘reading of the game’ like they have some sort of psychic insight.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit embarrassing no one at fox knows the rules very well and didn’t know if sin binned man was allowed back on in extra time!

roofromoz

First Grade
I didn't know that! Kind of like AFL. You'd have Greame Hughes for half the game and then Ian Maurice would take over. Big Darrell and Ray Warren did that for Origin too.

I have seen ABC games from the 80s where I swear that happened too, but between Jim Maxwell and David Morrow.

And Mike Stephenson was the co-commentator, he didn't mince his words. He was sacked from the ABC in the late 80s because he was deemed 'too controversial', but soon after got snapped up by Sky in the UK and had a 20+ year career there. I have just read his biography, must say it's one of the better ones I have read, doesn't provide a sanitised view on things.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Graeme Hughes wasa fantastic caller. Sterlo was good too, he was just surrounded by dopes like Johns and Freddy for far too long.

He came back to Fox around 2017/18 and called a few games. He had not lost it, was as good as he was at Ten in the late 80s / early 90s. Such a shame he wasn't bought on full time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grass is always greener lol. English fans want NRl commentators and NRL fans want SL commentators!

Incorrect

Coach
Does anyone know if the Fox callers actually call from the grounds or are they calling remotely from a studio like they did during Covid??