What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Voss' Commentary

Does Andrew Voss need to be institutionalised?

• Total voters

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The last two were legends of RL calling, Frank used to work alone on the sideline. No sideline eye, no-one but him. Rex had Barry Ross who was as exciting as watching paint dry. Gasnier was in a similar vein on the ABC with Warren Boland, he might have been the prince of centres, but he wasn't the prince of RL sidekicks. Don't remember Summons or Barnes as commentators, maybe before my time (although I remember Barnes as a player). I remember Ron (Won) Casey though, started as a league comm and went to radio with some success, as did Hadley.

Another radio caller I have fond memories of is Frank Ley, who called Panthers games on 2KA for many many years. We may have been a tinpot club but every match we played was on the radio called by Ley, and Paul Ambrisoli before him. Frank was as biased as thay come, but got away with it because his audience was exclusively Panther fans. The 2KA (Katoomba) signal barely reached Mt Druitt.

They all did their job. Gasnier was with Alan Marks and John O'Reilly as an expert comments man. He was also on the radio. Summons only did the one season in 1983 with nine. Barnes was on the Mid Week Cup broadcast and was very insightful. Hyde was mainly on sports programs and wthe radio which he is best known for.

I've been going through my old games so these are fresh in my mind.

danderson4500

Juniors
There's another guy that i only heard him do one match..that's Alan Thomas. I think it was because Rabs was doing the swimming and they needed someone else to do the 2nd FNF match. Of course, that was the match where the Broncos blew a 8 point lead late. I have to say it against the Dragons at Win Stadium? Or was it the Panthers at Suncorp?

Big Pete

Referee
There's another guy that i only heard him do one match..that's Alan Thomas. I think it was because Rabs was doing the swimming and they needed someone else to do the 2nd FNF match. Of course, that was the match where the Broncos blew a 8 point lead late. I have to say it against the Dragons at Win Stadium? Or was it the Panthers at Suncorp?
Panthers at Suncorp. Round 3 2007...

Steve Walters also made a rare appearance as a colour commentator.

The game got the commentary it deserved.

Maurice and Eastlake also called the game when Nine did Saturday games in 1983.

yep. And (sadly?) I remember the theme tune to the intro of the “Saturday replay”….and lyrics…

Saturday replay
See the game a new way
Catch it all again on nine
Our sport keeps getting better, all the time..

how sad…

Actually popped into my head last year for some stupid reason. Singing it now…

Eastlake was legendary but the Bear was a highly under-rated commentator for mine.

He is actually quite an imbecile. Voss comes across as being intelligent to casual rugby league fans simply due to the fact that he rattles off all these meaningless statistics and random facts. However, his knowledge of the tactical side of things and interpretation of the rules is sadly lacking.

To me, I don’t mind he’s not the expert on tactics and gameplay…

That’s something that I’d always like from a sidekick like Sterling (the best) and how Gould used to be….

For mine the main commentator calls the game and sets the emotional tempo.,, and is (should be) supported by the insightful folk with the odd cameo here and there to explain what’s happening, why, and the mastery behind it…

An example to me has been Ray Warren…

Ray at his best is/was possibly the best league commentator of all time - when setting the emotional tone… but when you hear him try to explain a ruling, insight, reason why something has unfolded they way it has… it’s usually something blatantly obvious to regular fans. We don’t need to be told about what we all can see. That was Richie benauds philosophy - the best commentator of all time in any sport IMO.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
yep. And (sadly?) I remember the theme tune to the intro of the “Saturday replay”….and lyrics…

Saturday replay
See the game a new way
Catch it all again on nine
Our sport keeps getting better, all the time..

how sad…

Actually popped into my head last year for some stupid reason. Singing it now…

Eastlake was legendary but the Bear was a highly under-rated commentator for mine.
True he was. He was also CEO or secretary as they called it then of Penrith in the 70's at one time.

I'm actually going through all the old intro's to the games from 1980-84 at the moment.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

That’s something that I’d always like from a sidekick like Sterling (the best) and how Gould used to be….

For mine the main commentator calls the game and sets the emotional tempo.,, and is (should be) supported by the insightful folk with the odd cameo here and there to explain what’s happening, why, and the mastery behind it…

Ray at his best is/was possibly the best league commentator of all time - when setting the emotional tone… but when you hear him try to explain a ruling, insight, reason why something has unfolded they way it has… it’s usually something blatantly obvious to regular fans. We don’t need to be told about what we all can see. That was Richie benauds philosophy - the best commentator of all time in any sport IMO

Originally Ray Warren when calling the Saturday game in the late 70s and early 80s and the Cup he was pretty boring.

However once Ten got the main game in 1983 he lifted his tempo and became quite good, he had a good knowledge of the rules. For mine though he was not as good as Rex in his prime or the ABC guys of Alan Marks and John O'Reilly before him. O'Reilly was very good.

Originally Ray Warren when calling the Saturday game in the late 70s and early 80s and the Cup he was pretty boring.

However once Ten got the main game in 1983 he lifted his tempo and became quite good, he had a good knowledge of the rules. For mine though he was not as good as Rex in his prime or the ABC guys of Alan Marks and John O'Reilly before him. O'Reilly was very good.

I grew up with Rex… peak Rex was early-mid 80’s to me. I missed those earlier guys…

Warren n Hughes came along, Boland and Morrow at ABC, then the Bear, Eastlake (my favourite), and supported by guys like Bill Anderson, John Peard, Sterling, Vautin etc etc.

Eastlake was my favourite. Talk about setting the emotional tempo… he was an absolute force of nature. Calling whatever it was.

But there’s a guy called Ray French, a commentator in the UK, who I only ever heard when watching the challenge cup finals and (from memory) the odd kangaroo test. He was absolutely brilliant IMO.

An example is the 1985 Challenge Cup final of Hull vs Wigan. It’s on YouTube and one of the most enjoyable games to watch even today. And his commentary is a huge part of why. He brilliantly complements the game… not tries to be the main actor (like modern day commentators).

Brutus

Referee
Panthers at Suncorp. Round 3 2007...

Steve Walters also made a rare appearance as a colour commentator.

The game got the commentary it deserved.

Alan Thomas is my fave footy commentator of all. Loved his horse racing work as well (which is what he's mainly known for).

He called the local footy in Brisbane for a few years on 9 and his Origin calls for QLD tv were legendary. So much better than the NSW commentary.

Graeme Hughes and Bill Anderson. Loved those two on 10.

Warren Boland, John Peard, Arthur Beetson make me think of Saturday arvos on the couch in winter.

souths_reborn

Juniors

Ray at his best is/was possibly the best league commentator of all time - when setting the emotional tone… but when you hear him try to explain a ruling, insight, reason why something has unfolded they way it has… it’s usually something blatantly obvious to regular fans. We don’t need to be told about what we all can see. That was Richie benauds philosophy - the best commentator of all time in any sport IMO.
You are right when you say the commentator sets the tone. You are also correct when you say that viewers don't want to be told what they can see! I think that is why Andrew Voss gets on so many people's nerves. People can see for themselves a touch judge falling over and a player getting hit in the head with the ball - they don't need to told about it for 5 minutes straight. Also, the random statistics that have minimal relevance to the spectacle also compound the irritation.

Ray Warren was once a great commentator however, he has stayed on far too long. I think Channel 9 are keeping him on out of respect due to his reputation and possible because he has had cancer. He regularly forgets players name's and his commentary overall is really one-dimensional.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I grew up with Rex… peak Rex was early-mid 80’s to me. I missed those earlier guys…

Warren n Hughes came along, Boland and Morrow at ABC, then the Bear, Eastlake (my favourite), and supported by guys like Bill Anderson, John Peard, Sterling, Vautin etc etc.

Eastlake was my favourite. Talk about setting the emotional tempo… he was an absolute force of nature. Calling whatever it was.

But there’s a guy called Ray French, a commentator in the UK, who I only ever heard when watching the challenge cup finals and (from memory) the odd kangaroo test. He was absolutely brilliant IMO.

An example is the 1985 Challenge Cup final of Hull vs Wigan. It’s on YouTube and one of the most enjoyable games to watch even today. And his commentary is a huge part of why. He brilliantly complements the game… not tries to be the main actor (like modern day commentators).
Rex Mossop knew how to call a game of footy. He basically just called what he saw without any gibbering about trivialities and meaningless statistics. Similarly, Graeme Hughes was also magnificent! I think he was really really underrated!

Darrell Eastlake was special because of his State of Origin commentary. In my view, he doesn't get enough recognition for his contribution to the spectacle. Remember, in the 1980s the State of Origin concept was still in its infancy, with Kangaroos tours still seen as the pinnacle. Darrell Eastlake's commentary made everyone feel that they were watching the most exciting event on earth. To put it simply, his unique style made everyone feel that if a commentator could get as excited as he did then we must have watched something amazing.

danderson4500

Juniors
I've always wondered why Rex was demoted in 1988. From what i've read on here, Moose got pretty crook calling a midweek game at Newcastle in 1987. Moose was no longer up to calling a game so the next year they had Graeme Hughes and Ian Maurice take over the main call.

gordsy

Juniors
Graeme Hughes wasa fantastic caller. Sterlo was good too, he was just surrounded by dopes like Johns and Freddy for far too long.

KennySterling

Juniors
Sterlo's the best colour commentator ever in my opinion. He knows the game, assesses the course of games so well and is so humble as genuine great.

He has always been scrupulously fair, honest and comes to the commentary box without the agendas and BS that others carry. Hope he continues elsewhere.

davi

Juniors
Poll confirms that fans want Andrew Voss back. Channel Nine should swallow their pride and pick up the phone and call Voss. The problem with this article is that Phil Rothfield oddly goes to bat for Ray Hadley and misses the elephant in the room that Voss should be the successor to Ray Warren. Hadley was taken off Channel 9 for good reason because he can't commentate. He lacks insight into rugby league, and he can't help himself but put the occasional political jab (anti-Labor) in his commentary. The last part doesn't happen often but it has happened.

If I was Fox I would beware of keeping Hadley on. I'm not condoning Paul Vaughan actions. But he had the courage to front up to Fox cameras admitting in an emotional interview he made a terrible mistake. And that it had costly him dearly and it had put his family under enormous pressure and put his career in jeopardy. After the interview Hadley then went on his typical rant saying "IF I LOST 800 000 THOUSAND DOLLARS I WOULD BE CRYING TOO!!!" If I was Vaughan I would remember that next time Fox Sports ask for him to come on for a interview.

IDENTITY CRISIS FOR NINE’S NRL COVERAGE

Channel 9 has a major identity problem on its rugby league commentary team, with legendary caller Ray Warren on the verge of quitting.

Check out the fan poll on The Daily Telegraph and NRL websites and you will get what we’re talking about.

Under the question ‘Who is your favourite TV play-by-play caller?’ Fox Sports personality Andrew Voss is a clear winner with 35 per cent of the popular vote. (There have been more than 21,000 votes)

The great Rabs, 78, comes in as a clear second with 30 per cent.

It’s then daylight to the next Channel 9 caller, Mathew Thompson, who gets just two per cent. Nine’s Brisbane-based caller Peter Psaltis doesn’t get a mention.

The problem is the Nine Network has never properly planned for Rabs’ retirement.

There was even an edict a couple of years ago that Thompson’s head was not to be shown on television. No one knows why. He is actually a handy caller but has had no promotion.

These figures are particularly interesting with Nine in talks with the NRL for a new free-to-air television deal.

There have been suggestions the NRL is now pushing for the return of 2GB veteran Ray Hadley, who was taken off air by director of sport Brett Thompson two years ago.

Like him or loathe him, Hadley at least has experience and a stature in the game.

And that is what Channel 9 is crying out for.

The poll on our website closes on Monday. Final results in League Central on Thursday.

Latest posts