What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andy BICHEL

booeycollector

Juniors
I cant believe they dropped BICHEL. Tough call. Michael Kasprowicz is bowling well but its a tough call dropping Andy.

Doctor

Bench
Bichel's figures were not good and he does not have an impressive career to fall back on. I admire Bichel's toughness, his selfless attitude and his dependability to produce a key wicket. But there is strong competition for places in the side and they haven't been able to rely on him to remain tidy.

Economy rates of 5.5 are not looked favourably upon, nor a bowling average of 65. Unfortunately you either need to take wickets or keep the runs down.

Kasprowicz is a interesting replacement. He has form, plenty of experience domestically and sufficient pace. He is also in his 30s which indicates to me that the selectors are not genuine in their quest for youth in the international teams.

Long term I think you need the youngsters like Tait and co being introduced to the side. The reason they would have gone for Kasprowicz is because it is a finals series - you want level-heads and someone who can bowl economically as well as take wickets. Tait is explosive but may be better suited to waiting until the next series or next season to emerge into the international ranks.

In any case Kasprowicz will carry the drinks - unfortunately Ian Harvey is seen as a viable option which still amazes me. Hogg is also on the outer and will not be given a run presumably.

PB

Bench
The selectors obviously thought that Bichel was easy to drop, because he would go back to state cricket and work hard to get back in to the aussie team, not like other players who might whinge. Selectors were wrong...again. Bichel is right, as big a fan as i am of an inform Marto, it is double standards.

aqua_duck

Coach
I really thought that they would re-instate Nathan Bracken, the bloke was on fire in the TVS cup and probably deserved player of the tournament, he was originally named in the squad but was injured but has since played for NSW.
In my opinion Nathan Bracken is even a better one day bowler than Gillespie.

knights04

Bench
Where is Bracken? :? Selectors drop Bichel for someone the same age, same career ODI bowling ave, hardly played ODI's in recent yrs, and in the VB final series to boot. If Bracken is unavailable then pick Tait or Noffke someone who will be an assett.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Bichel was in the team because he can bat a bit and hew is an excellent fielder, and he forget to focus on his bowling.

The Aissie selectors seem to look for the all rounder in everyone, that's why Langer wont get a game, he's too slow in the field. They've overdone the all rounder issue.

They need strike bowlers and Bichel has not been a strike bowler, and he has been very expensive.

RICHO

Juniors
Bracken has an injury. Broken finger... I THINK (very possible that I'm wrong, but he is injured!!)

As for Bichel and Kaspa... well...

Bichel was never gunna get a run in the finals anyway, and Kaspa won't get one either! So it really doesn't matter who is in the 13 does it?!?

Bichel can go back to State cricket and have a bowl, and maybe get back into form instead of watching games from the stands.

broncos2008

Juniors
i think kaspar is a great replacement. He's rated across the country by his peers (including Greg Blewett and Justing Langer) as one of Australia's finest bowlers currently. While I'm a big fan of the Bich as he plays at my club his performances don't really warrant selection. However, what annoys me is that Damien Martyn has performed equally or even worse then Bichel and he retains his place.

Anyone saying that Bracken should be picked is kidding themselves. I haven't seen a bowler more consistently bowl half volleys. He's a much better ODI bowler than Test Bowler for the pure fact that his second spells are atrocious becuase he is a pansy and doesn't hit the deck hard enough and can't do anything with the old ball

knights04

Bench
N Bracken: ODI career avge - 19.71 (28 wkts)
M Kasprowicz: ODI career avge - 32.25 (24 wkts)

Kasprowicz is the better choice :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
broncos2008 said:
i think kaspar is a great replacement. He's rated across the country by his peers (including Greg Blewett and Justing Langer) as one of Australia's finest bowlers currently. While I'm a big fan of the Bich as he plays at my club his performances don't really warrant selection. However, what annoys me is that Damien Martyn has performed equally or even worse then Bichel and he retains his place.

Anyone saying that Bracken should be picked is kidding themselves. I haven't seen a bowler more consistently bowl half volleys. He's a much better ODI bowler than Test Bowler for the pure fact that his second spells are atrocious becuase he is a pansy and doesn't hit the deck hard enough and can't do anything with the old ball

Bracken is one of the better old ball bowlers going around. He and Brad Haddin have perfected the art of loading the ball, so when it gets old, he still does plenty with it.

Pace is not his strength. What he does with the ball is.

Having said that, I think Kasper is by far the best choice. I've always rated him, and the selectors have never done him any special favours, so when he gets picked, it's due to consistency and good form.

Paullyboy

Coach
RICHO said:
Bracken has an injury. Broken finger... I THINK (very possible that I'm wrong, but he is injured!!)

Bichel was never gunna get a run in the finals anyway, and Kaspa won't get one either! So it really doesn't matter who is in the 13 does it?!?

How do you figure that? Bichel has been chosen in every game against India im pretty sure and they only use fat arse Williams when they are playing the neville Zimbabweans. So I think it would have been a very safe bet that Bichel would have been in the 11 as the 3rd pace bowler.

zulu

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
I really thought that they would re-instate Nathan Bracken, the bloke was on fire in the TVS cup and probably deserved player of the tournament, he was originally named in the squad but was injured but has since played for NSW.
In my opinion Nathan Bracken is even a better one day bowler than Gillespie.

Bracken is only good when he can swing the ball back into the right hander. He found that skill with the new ball in India, but has lost it since. he is therefore useless and unthreatening as was seen in the 4th Test.

zulu

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
RICHO said:

How do you figure that? Bichel has been chosen in every game against India im pretty sure and they only use fat arse Williams when they are playing the neville Zimbabweans. So I think it would have been a very safe bet that Bichel would have been in the 11 as the 3rd pace bowler.

Bichel has only bowled 36 overs in his six games with one being a washout. He was never really given a chance to get into the series which has been the story of his Test career unfortunately.

He has a brilliant state record and deserved better. Plus he can also bat!!!

knights04

Bench
I can't see Bichel playing any more games for Aus unless another run of injuries happens which is unlikely. :(

aqua_duck

Coach
zulu said:
Paullyboy said:
RICHO said:

Bichel has only bowled 36 overs in his six games with one being a washout. He was never really given a chance to get into the series which has been the story of his Test career unfortunately.

He has a brilliant state record and deserved better. Plus he can also bat!!!
He performed very poorly in the TVS cup as well, was by far the worse of Australia's 3 pace bowler's and was very expensive in the VB series, hence why Ponting was reluctant to bowl him for the full 10, like I said he was doing everything well, fielding, batting, except bowling.

As for Bracken, lets be fair mate, he's never been the best bowler in the longer version of the game, and you don't just forget how to swing a ball in 2 weeks, I mean lets be fair here, take a look at the tests series and name me one pace bowler who bowled well.

iggy plop

First Grade
Zulu is right, Bracken could never swing the ball back anyway, until he went to India where the conditions were very helpful to the new ball bowlers.

He is puss

aqua_duck

Coach
iggy plop said:
Zulu is right, Bracken could never swing the ball back anyway, until he went to India where the conditions were very helpful to the new ball bowlers.

He is puss
Well his one day domestic record and his ODI is actually pretty good, in fact better than Bichel's in all departments, average, strike rate, RPO, so bichel must be pretty crap if he's worst than someone who can't bowl fast, can't swing the ball and can't maintain a good line.

Latest posts