What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Announcement at Kogarah today: Coops retires

In such a horrific year for the club, it is indeed ironic that Cooper actually went out as a winner against the then competition leaders.

Great player, great bloke. Well done Coops, we won't forget the good times.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Absolute legend!!!

Love you Coops...probably more than my Mrs.

Now my Mrs has no reason to come to the footy with me

SaintElroy

Juniors
Thanks for everything Coops over the last 13 years - that try saver on McQueen is etched in Dragon folklore! Probably a couple of years too late, but time to put the feet up, crack some beers, and relax that toe buddy..

Yep that tackle on McQueen was one of the best things iv ever seen. Thanks for the memories champ.
Also saw on his instagram he said UFC here i come. I have noticed he does a lot of training with Josh Miller at a UFC gym. Maybe we havent heard the last of him yet!

TheRev

Coach
Yaa Coops has been carrying our attack for many years.. the instant he was injured at start of season I knew the writing was on the wall.. and obviously his defence and leadership couldnt be replaced either..

In any case Super Dooper Cooper, massive hole will take us a few years to fill it, loved watching the footage of him as a youngster & of course that epic tackle.... I loved him as a Winger when he first joined too, super solid and out of the lime light.. really sad day for me.

possm

Coach
Coops is up there with the best of Dragons Centres. I hope the Club will invite him to provide coaching/advice to our 2014 young centres.

Thanks Matt Cooper for your great service to the Dragons, NSW and Australian Rugby League.

hermidale1

Juniors
Guess my son will have to find a new favourite player. I have a great photo of Matt Cooper and my boy when he was 10 (my son not Matt Cooper) from 7 years ago. He made me wait outside the dressing sheds for about an hour until he came out to get his autograph. A great player and a loyal one club man. I'm sure it won't be the last time we'll see him around the place though. I have no doubt he'll mentor or coach in some way. Would make a great Strength & Conditioning Coach or Defensive Coach.

Elias1983

Coach
This bloke should have been the face of rugby league...Not wanks like stewart and Marshall

No drunken incidents his whole career..

One of the most feared and respected centres in the game...

Has got his life off the field in great shape (aprt from his physique) :)

One club man...

Representative honours for NSW and Australia...

All round good guy...

Farewell Coops....Gonna miss seeing you in that number 4....

I think the Dragons just lost about 5000 female supporters lol...

Mr Red

First Grade
there are players in every team that make the rest of the team feel a lot more confident about the match at hand when they simply see them in the sheds lacing up the boots.
knowing they are in your team as you run out to play gives you a feeling that everything is gonna be all right...

I think cooper was one of those men in the dragons team..
Hornby and Young the other two... we now have none left.

well played Mr Cooper, thanks for the memories.

hermidale1

Juniors
there are players in every team that make the rest of the team feel a lot more confident about the match at hand when they simply see them in the sheds lacing up the boots.
knowing they are in your team as you run out to play gives you a feeling that everything is gonna be all right...

I think cooper was one of those men in the dragons team..
Hornby and Young the other two... we now have none left.

well played Mr Cooper, thanks for the memories.

On the plus side though, with both Ben Hornby and Dean Young joining the coaching ranks of the club, add Matt Cooper to that equation and then suddenly we have 3 of the best mentors the club could have for the young blokes coming through. All 3 bleed Red & White, and would bring that passion out in the next group

Minh

First Grade
Great Dragons player, will be sorely missed. Maybe he can become our backs defensive coach or play some sort of role in the club.

blacksafake

First Grade
Great club man,one of our best with no sh*t in his game on or off the field.It amazes me that the press always rave about the marshalls,carneys,gallen,bird etc etc but ignore the good ones like him.Thanks for the memories & may you in some way remain involved with the club.

giboz71

First Grade
Origin rep, Test player, Premiership winner and one club man. Can't really do any more than that.

Added to that, an all round good bloke and family man who never got in trouble off the field.

Congratulations and good luck for the future Coops!

Mr Red

First Grade
On the plus side though, with both Ben Hornby and Dean Young joining the coaching ranks of the club, add Matt Cooper to that equation and then suddenly we have 3 of the best mentors the club could have for the young blokes coming through. All 3 bleed Red & White, and would bring that passion out in the next group

yep agree
we need to keep those type of players involved in the club to ensure the culture remains strong, and the younger players understand the history and tradition of playing for the Red V.