What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another pointless Rugby Thread

Force

Juniors
South America sounds like they have amazing potential, they suck at union, something league could jump all over and save some time regarding development.
Argentina are one of the top 10 teams in the World in Union. USA is ranked 15, Uruguay 18, Brasil and Chile in the top 30 so all though they aren't as good as their soccer counterparts, I wouldn't say they suck at Union.

Pommy

Coach
Argentina are one of the top 10 teams in the World in Union. USA is ranked 15, Uruguay 18, Brasil and Chile in the top 30 so all though they aren't as good as their soccer counterparts, I wouldn't say they suck at Union.

Being ranked 15 in union isn’t brilliant though.
Whilst they are miles ahead of League when it comes to internationals the quality soon drops off outside of the commonwealth countries.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

If Brazil and Chile are in the top 30 at union just shows how weak their "GLOBAL" game is, because after the top 10 or so countries the standard drops away pretty dramatically. Have a look at Brazil's club comp for a true reflection of the power of the union global game. They love putting league down saying it's played in the north of England, east of Australia and south Auckland they aren't much better they just have a great propaganda arm called the media. Look at European rugby it's basically the Uk, south of France, a few towns in northern Italy and that's it.

Force

Juniors
If Brazil and Chile are in the top 30 at union just shows how weak their "GLOBAL" game is, because after the top 10 or so countries the standard drops away pretty dramatically. Have a look at Brazil's club comp for a true reflection of the power of the union global game. They love putting league down saying it's played in the north of England, east of Australia and south Auckland they aren't much better they just have a great propaganda arm called the media. Look at European rugby it's basically the Uk, south of France, a few towns in northern Italy and that's it.
Quality generally drops off in accordance to ranking in all sports, not just Union or league for that matter but the drop off in Union, isnt as significant as the league counterpart, Union shits all over league when it comes to the International game, we lag behind big time so its no point taking the high ground on that one.

For union, you've got one team head and shoulders above the rest. 2nd to 5th are on par with each other but can challenge the top ranked team and win on occasions. The rest of the top 20 are on par with each other.

Just on Brazil, they have a long history in playing the game, you'd be surprised just how good they are. They recently took out the South American Six Nations tournament which consists of Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Colombia. They also beat the US just a couple of years ago for the first time ever.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
You miss my point. Union does shit all over league internationally, however soccer shits all over union.

My point was that union likes to belittle our game by downplaying where it is played, yet we could easily do the same to it. How popular is union in English cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool etc. They all say the word global, as though they have ALL received a memo as to this is how the game will be referred to and if we repeat it enough they will all believe it is a powerful world game.

They would mock our game by saying play union see the world, play league see Campbelltown.

Which is far from the case. Take former Gold Coast coach Phil Economidis, who I read about recently. He coached in Australia. Then coached in France where he met his wife and is now coaching in Serbia with Red Star.

Here is the semi final of the club competition in Brazil, the Super 16:

Final

Last edited:

Force

Juniors
You miss my point. Union does shit all over league internationally, however soccer shits all over union.
Probably best not to use the riches of another sport to bag Union when League does worse.

My point was that union likes to belittle our game by downplaying where it is played, yet we could easily do the same to it. How popular is union in English cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool etc. They all say the word global, as though they have ALL received a memo as to this is how the game will be referred to and if we repeat it enough they will all believe it is a powerful world game.

They would mock our game by saying play union see the world, play league see Campbelltown.

Which is far from the case. Take former Gold Coast coach Phil Economidis, who I read about recently. He coached in Australia. Then coached in France where he met his wife and is now coaching in Serbia with Red Star.

Here is the semi final of the club competition in Brazil, the Super 16:

Final
The strength of Union has always been in the International game, not so much regional club comps, hence why they may not reach those Cities you named or be rating poorly in Australia but they have it about right for Internationals as thats the pinnacle of rugby, not club comps or a game between two States. This is the way it should be.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Spoken like a true union man.

It doesn't reach those cities because it isn't the global powerhouse it claims to be. So what I'm saying is union shouldn't belittle league because dig beneath the surface and union has it's weak points also.

Origin, just a game between two states.........hmmmm

I guess the Melbourne Cup has just always been a horse race...........

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Probably best not to use the riches of another sport to bag Union when League does worse.

I'll think you will find well documented that union has used it's muscle to keep league in it's place. Remember before professionalism when leaguies played for money whilst the union boys played for the love of the game..............even though they happily picked up money in Italy and France and landed nice cosy jobs.

Force

Juniors
Spoken like a true union man.

It doesn't reach those cities because it isn't the global powerhouse it claims to be. So what I'm saying is union shouldn't belittle league because dig beneath the surface and union has it's weak points also.

Origin, just a game between two states.........hmmmm

I guess the Melbourne Cup has just always been a horse race...........
Its swings and roundabouts when it comes to one 'belittling' the other, fans of both belittle the other, so it goes both ways. True rugby man?...far from it. .what I dont do is take the moral high ground when it comes to the state of rugby league. Like an alcoholic at an AA meeting, you first need to raise your hand and acknowledge your faults. Not admitting you have a problem wont solve anything and trying to shift focus by highlighting other peoples riches wont help either (ala soccer is bigger than rugby). The only way we are going to progress is by highlighting our faults and fixing them.

We have been professional much longer than Union but the game is lagging big time, therefore, we have been doing something wrong. I have always maintained the growth of the game is in the International game but the ones who run it think otherwise.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
it's not the supporters who are the problem, it is people in powerful positions who have always created a perception of league via the media etc. Banning it from Universities, major private schools, the defence force etc.

This is where the problem has lay for rugby league.

Rugby Union claims to be this complex sport and league simple, yet defence, according to union people like Fitzsimmons is the complex part of the game and yet who does union seek out to learn that facet of the game.........yes you guessed it folks, those simple leaguies.

Ironic isn't it..............

Last edited:

Force

Juniors
it's not the supporters who are the problem, it is people in powerful positions who have always created a perception of league via the media etc. Banning it from Universities, major private schools, the defence force etc.

This is where the problem has lay for rugby league.

Rugby Union claims to be this complex sport and league simple, yet defence, according to union people like Fitzsimmons is the complex part of the game and yet who does union seek out to learn that facet of the game.........yes you guessed it folks, those simple leaguies.

Ironic isn't it..............
Think they are talking about simple as in not as many rules compared to Union. League is a simpler game to play and follow, not meaning for simpletons.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Think they are talking about simple as in not as many rules compared to Union. League is a simpler game to play and follow, not meaning for simpletons.

I know full well what they mean, and they constantly repeat it. It is a dig against the game. Just as they use to say in the 80's they played for love not money. As though all leaguies only played for the cash.

Force

Juniors
I know full well what they mean, and they constantly repeat it. It is a dig against the game. Just as they use to say in the 80's they played for love not money. As though all leaguies only played for the cash.
Theres nothing wrong with being a simple game, the fact that it is, should make it easier to attract non-followers from non-traditional footy playing Countries. We just need to make a better effort Internationally.

Also on these club games you keep posting....like I said before, the strength in Union is in the International Game, hence the quality and interest is in the tests, not so much club footy. Its vice-versa for league.

taipan

Referee

The strength of Union has always been in the International game, not so much regional club comps, hence why they may not reach those Cities you named or be rating poorly in Australia but they have it about right for Internationals as thats the pinnacle of rugby, not club comps or a game between two States. This is the way it should be.

I guess if you bothered to listen to or read union hob nobs/journos in this country and NZ for decades, like the Eales, O'Neiils, Martins, Zavos, FitzSimons, Campese, and the last ARU CEO who got the flick(forgot his name, such was his impact), you may have some idea.

Oh the irony:-
Your point "probably best not to use the riches of another sport to bag Union...",when these union gimps are doing just that, by bagging rugby league.
What cave have you been hiding in?

They continually bagged rugby league's lack of International presence, and continually made out their code had this huge Global international presence,where 4.5bn watched their World Cups. When in fact they have a decent International presence ,but a huge Global presence is plain BS

Nothing wrong with Internationals ,and rugby league do have them albeit on a much smaller scale.

taipan

Referee
Its swings and roundabouts when it comes to one 'belittling' the other, fans of both belittle the other, so it goes both ways. True rugby man?...far from it. .what I dont do is take the moral high ground when it comes to the state of rugby league. Like an alcoholic at an AA meeting, you first need to raise your hand and acknowledge your faults. Not admitting you have a problem wont solve anything and trying to shift focus by highlighting other peoples riches wont help either (ala soccer is bigger than rugby). The only way we are going to progress is by highlighting our faults and fixing them.

We have been professional much longer than Union but the game is lagging big time, therefore, we have been doing something wrong. I have always maintained the growth of the game is in the International game but the ones who run it think otherwise.

Union has been professional since the 40s ,when the French paid their players under the table.As did the spaghetti rugby .
I followed union for many years, the hypocrisy that historically exists beneath that code, makes Trump seem truthful.

Force

Juniors
I guess if you bothered to listen to or read union hob nobs/journos in this country and NZ for decades, like the Eales, O'Neiils, Martins, Zavos, FitzSimons, Campese, and the last ARU CEO who got the flick(forgot his name, such was his impact), you may have some idea.

Oh the irony:-
Your point "probably best not to use the riches of another sport to bag Union...",when these union gimps are doing just that, by bagging rugby league.
What cave have you been hiding in?

They continually bagged rugby league's lack of International presence, and continually made out their code had this huge Global international presence,where 4.5bn watched their World Cups. When in fact they have a decent International presence ,but a huge Global presence is plain BS

Nothing wrong with Internationals ,and rugby league do have them albeit on a much smaller scale.
When it comes to slagging off each others game, it goes both ways but I dont expect one-eyed fans from either sport to admit that.