What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anothy Mitchell / Matt Keating

We looked a much better side with Mitchell in the team. The kid has really good skill and he stepped up big time last night. He is def in the Robbie Farah mould where he creates doubts in the oppsoition defences because of the way he holds the ball out with two hands while darting from dummy half. We need to re-sign him immediately.

And I was very impressed with Keating off the bench as well, he seemed to mimick and carry on Mitchells game.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Keating did throw some pretty bad passes, could be a bit rusty.

May have trouble gripping the ball with one less finger.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
Keating did throw some pretty bad passes, could be a bit rusty.

May have trouble gripping the ball with one less finger.

No, its because he is a poor mans dummy half... I mean he always gave poor service. Low passes, high passes, pass to no one????

common man seriously!!!! :crazy:

Gronk

Staff member
MK has matured into solid hooker and as good as any out there after Ennis & Farrah.

Ant is nippy and will get better with age. His service is a tad erratic (passes not always hitting chests), but that will improve in time as well.

TBH I was surprised to see Ant get a go last night. I thought that he was destined to play out the season for Wenty and be released. Perhaps Casey has hinted that he will be elsewhere in 2012 ?

Delboy

First Grade
I have been told that Casey has asked for an extension, and Mitchell is in fact playing for a 2012 contract (not sure who with).

When Morts played NYC, he was far from the best player, in that side the go to players were Nathan Gardner and Ant Mitchell by a long way. He did well as a back up player to Hayne's magic in 2009, appears he hasn't progressed as much as expected.

Interesting time ahead for Morts

I have been told that Casey has asked for an extension, and Mitchell is in fact playing for a 2012 contract (not sure who with).

When Morts played NYC, he was far from the best player, in that side the go to players were Nathan Gardner and Ant Mitchell by a long way. He did well as a back up player to Hayne's magic in 2009, appears he hasn't progressed as much as expected.

I'd give Mcguire one more year as well..

SK said in the Confrence yesterday that Robson had an offer on the table for 8 weeks. I'd pull that offer and give it to Mitchell asap. The kid did step up and prove that he's got it.

I'd also tell Mortimer to look elsewhere next year and re-sign humble for depth.

DeanPay98

Juniors
I'd be offering Mitchell a two year deal and Robson a one year contract. If we can keep Robson for depth that'd be great. But if not its no drama. We've developed Mitchell and he looks like a first grade player. We should keep him with a view to his playing a role in 2013 in tandem with Keating. McGuire deserves an extension for 2012.

Freak2

Juniors
Was extremely shocked (and pleasently surprised) to see Anthony Mitchell get a start last night.

I rate this kid highly. At his best he is without a shaddow of a doubt our best hooking option at the club.

If we let him go I will be extremely annoyed.

Kornstar

Coach
I'm not getting excited about keeping Mitchell, I have seen too many kids come through who I thought would end up great for us only to leave due to lack of opportunities! I will be extremely happy if he does stay though......

Gardner & Mitchell were that NYC team, Morts was a passenger and nothing has changed!

caylo

Bench
I thought out spine was brilliant, MK and Ant had very crisp service outside of a few balls that hit the deck but even then they found the second man on the run.

MK look dangerous out of dumby half and did Ant. I would have them rotating next week again and Mortz can develop into a good #14 for Wenty (I think Fluke and Waters are probably better then Mortz)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm not getting excited about keeping Mitchell, I have seen too many kids come through who I thought would end up great for us only to leave due to lack of opportunities! I will be extremely happy if he does stay though......

Gardner & Mitchell were that NYC team, Morts was a passenger and nothing has changed!
I agree, the games i saw it was all Mitchell and Gardiner and Morts just backed up and tried hard, Mmmmm a lot like 2009 :sarcasm: Lets sign him up for life.......

Delboy

First Grade
To be fair to Morts, we were all somewhat pleased when he signed last year, having said that it is doubtful he has that much more to offer in the halves as he appears to have a limited skill set

Perhaps he can be converted into a PJ type hooker off the bench, seriously that would appear to be his best option.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It'd be tough for the club to re-sign McGuire just because of his age and the injury prone-ness he's already shown this year. But he is playing well. I'm sure they'd like to keep him but for how much is the question.

An oldie like McGuire would want what he's worth if he plays this well every game. However the club would want to pay him what he's worth based on missing a few matches to injury, and the likelihood of old age catching up to his ability.

There's also the fact that with Roberts coming we don't need Casey McGuire. But he would be great to have at the club for another year.

When Morts played NYC, he was far from the best player, in that side the go to players were Nathan Gardner and Ant Mitchell by a long way.

Mortimer topped the team in try assists and linebreak assists despite not even playing the whole season in 2009.

That's why he got a run in the NRL side.

He did well as a back up player to Hayne's magic in 2009, appears he hasn't progressed as much as expected.

True.

He'll certainly be here next year as a back-up half, but aftre that who knows? One of the NYC halves could overtake him making up the numbers in the top 25, or at least provide a cheaper option for 2013 and beyond.