What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford

blaza88z

Coach
I have been thinking about this quite a bit recently, which club would even pay him half of what he is on right now?

The first game of the season summed his performances for the Broncos up perfectly, he was brilliant for the first half. Then took poor option after poor option in the second half, essentially inviting Parramatta to have a crack at our line. Any sort of half would've taken control of that game, kicked to corners etc, made Parramatta have to ruck it out. Not chip and chase efforts from the halfway line.

I just don't know which club would pay him even half of what we are paying him, you certainly wouldn't want him being the guy steering your team around the park. He would be amazing next to a dominant half where he can just chime in every once in a while but then are you paying him 1 million a season in a supporting role?

There is no way we can re-sign him, I don't think. It probably creates some form of disharmony in the squad too, you got this bloke on 1 million a season doing nothing. I know how I would feel if I went to work each day and the bloke who did the least work was getting paid the most money.

Nerd

Bench
I would like to hope that the retention committee are thinking the same way.

Big Pete

Referee
We were having this discussion over in the Broncos forum about what it would take for Milford to earn a contract extension. I think there is a large contingent who just want to move on and haven't seen anything in him dating back to mid-2016.

I don't think the club holds the same opinion and if he can maintain the standard he set against the Eels I think they'll re-sign him. It's the easy option and they can handwave the last two years of the club being reduced to a mess under Seibold.

I'm not as harsh on his Eels performance. The chip and chase is the only real issue I had with his performance and even then it was sparked because an off-side Mahoney came screaming out of the line. There were a few small areas, but for he most part it seemed like he did just kick to Sivo. The Gold Coast Titans performance wasn't good enough and he'll have to learn how to play even when the team is playing poorly. It's something he's rarely done, so the next month is going to be a nice test for him.

DeeJ

Bench
For all his faults he still has the best kicking game in the club, especially long kicking game. I believe we actually need him, but he surely has to be on some kind of reduction for his next contract.

Nerd

Bench
I think we all saw against the Storm the Milford that we have had for the last 3 years. The occasional good kick followed up with incorrect decisions and errors and lacklustre defence. Milford has an ok half a game every now and then which seems to make him a selection untouchable for that season. He isn't the only reason we are playing so badly but we are absolutely clueless in attack and that is why Milford gets the big bucks. You have to ask if he was on half the money he gets would he still be in the team?

Showtime

Juniors
I would’ve been happy for him to stay on a reduced deal but given that it looks like Staggs is going to re sign and play 5/8 alongside Dearden, it’s good riddance to the Milfplod.

Nerd

Bench
gone this week
Had to happen and I'm glad Walters has made the call. They have to give Dearden and Croft some time now to try and form a combination. I'd be happy if these two just concentrate on their defence and getting good kicks away at the end of sets for the first few weeks and the rest will come over time.

Big Pete

Referee
The Souths Logan Magpies went down 39-22 to the unbeaten Norths Devils.

Judging from the reports, Milford's form didn't improve one iota. The Devils opened by scoring two tries down his edge and with the ball he didn't have the type of impact he should have had. He struggled to combine with his team mates and while he made a couple of half-breaks he couldn't turn them into complete line-breaks.

Big Pete

Referee

Judging from the reports, Milford's form didn't improve one iota. The Devils opened by scoring two tries down his edge and with the ball he didn't have the type of impact he should have had. He struggled to combine with his team mates and while he made a couple of half-breaks he couldn't turn them into complete line-breaks.

I've got mixed feelings on this. On one hand, Milford needed a reality check to realise it's his personal performance that's letting the team down and he really needs to step it up if he wants to play NRL again. On the other, I'm really beginning to question whether the Broncos do enough to support the Magpies. They're sending a lot of their best juniors to develop there but it's difficult to develop good habits when you're playing in a really loose team.

blaza88z

Coach
Milford hasn't really responded the way you'd like him to respond if someone was sent to play in a lower grade, you'd expect him to show his class and dominate the game but it didn't really happen. You'd be forgiven for thinking the Devils were that 2nd Brisbane team in the NRL given the way Milford played

He really needs to decide what he wants to get out of Rugby League, from all reports he's not a great trainer and he's at that stage in his career where raw talent just won't get him very far, it's gotten him this far but it won't get him much further

League guru

Juniors

I've got mixed feelings on this. On one hand, Milford needed a reality check to realise it's his personal performance that's letting the team down and he really needs to step it up if he wants to play NRL again. On the other, I'm really beginning to question whether the Broncos do enough to support the Magpies. They're sending a lot of their best juniors to develop there but it's difficult to develop good habits when you're playing in a really loose team.
Development seems to be the big issue with the Broncos. They don't seem to be able to improve players. Look at the Storm, they lost their halfback in Cronk and created one out of Hughes who prior to that was a journeyman who played fullback. You would think between Walters, Langer and Lockyer there would be enough experience to develop an inside back.

DeeJ

Bench
Forcing the dragons to take him on would be worth it, pass around the hat we can all chip in. That way Norman might have to go to superleague

They might be losing Dufty so Norman could go to full back for an all ex Broncos spine. Next we just have to convince Griffin that his old captain Glenn is worth a shot.

blaza88z

Coach
Milford had some nice touches in the game against the Cutters, fair enough Souths won by 50 but still. A nice little confidence builder