What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Go To the AGM?

Alex28

Coach
Sounded like a fun night. Anybody get one of Newton's leaflets of information the Herald wouldn't print?

I don't mind that Robbie O made it on to the board to be honest. He's passionate about the club. Can't be that bad a thing...

macavity

Referee
Yes.

Interesting night, notable for the "input" of douchebags (Fitzgibbon) and loons (Newton).

There was an interlude in the middle where a heated discussion of the relative merits and abilities of scott dureau took place.... hahaha

best suggestion of the night - some crazy dude asked if, since maccas was a sponsor, they could open restaurants in the stadium.

Last edited:

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
He's passionate about the club. Can't be that bad a thing...

Unfortunately passion without knowledge and direction is dangerous to everyone around it.

Robbie O has proved he has the wrong kind of ideas and thoughts to be successfully running a profesional football club.

He is one of the people supporting the 'old boys' style of management

I am worried about that kin of thinking in the new business era of football

Serc

First Grade
There was an interlude in the middle where a heated discussion of the relative merits and abilities of scott dureau took place.... hahaha

I wonder who started that...especially given you know who hasn't said much on the subject of late!

best suggestion of the night - some crazy dude asked if, since maccas was a sponsor, they could open restaurants in the stadium.

I'm guessing this was not such a serious suggestion...but I will say they do this sort of thing at Suncorp (eg: I got some food the other week from Red Rooster)

Edit: lol @ accidental typo...red rooter haha

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Yep, you're about a week late Baron :p I think it was Gene who suggested it haha

macavity

Referee
I wonder who started that...especially given you know who hasn't said much on the subject of late!

unless karma is a late-middle age woman, it wasn't him/her/it....

I'm guessing this was not such a serious suggestion...

he was deadly serious. he also said that our crowds (except "the guys with the drums") were soft and need to "fire up"

Johns Magic

Referee
Yes.

Interesting night, notable for the "input" of douchebags (Fitzgibbon) and loons (Newton).

What was said about Dureau mac?

Also did you get a look at the Newton leaflet?

B-dos

Referee
Yes.

ive noticed you have quite a dislike for fitzgibbon mac

is that simply because he holds a different view to yours? surely you agree that constructive debate is good at times like this and far more beneficial than simply following the leader?

im pleased we have very succesful and smart businessmen like fitzgibbon providing input and i certainly dont believe your big bad conspiracy theory that he wants to take ownership of the club holds much water.. perhaps like the rest of us he just wants to see the club achieve and realise its potential?

on that note, did anything come out of the meeting or is it business as usual / more of the same?

Serc

First Grade
unless karma is a late-middle age woman, it wasn't him/her/it....

roger

he was deadly serious. he also said that our crowds (except "the guys with the drums") were soft and need to "fire up"

:lol: great stuff - go the 'guys with the drums' !!!!

Well there are other stadiums that do the same, maybe thats where he got it from

macavity

Referee
is that simply because he holds a different view to yours?

Not at all. I can respect a difference of opinion. I can't respect someone who is not up-front about their agenda.

surely you agree that constructive debate is good at times like this

Indeed. However people entering that debate with hidden agendas is not honest, and therefore not acceptable.

im pleased we have very succesful and smart businessmen like fitzgibbon providing input

Is that the same fellow who resigned from the board, ostensibly due to an inability to manage a very easily managed conflict of interests?

In other words, the same guy who had opportunity to have real and substantial input, and mysteriously gave up that opportunity?

If you believe there wasn't more to it, that it was only that he was suddenly unable to manage something that had never been and was not an issue, I have some magic beans to sell you.

i certainly dont believe your big bad conspiracy theory that he wants to take ownership of the club holds much water..

He has been given multiple opportunities to deny interest, and has declined to do so. I can assure you my view is no "big bad conspiracy theory". I don't really appreciate the condescending tone here either champ. You know how to find me if you want to have that discussion.

on that note, did anything come out of the meeting or is it business as usual / more of the same?

The chairman stated unequivocally that the status quo is unacceptable, and that they are extensively researching different financing models.

I was also able to have a quick chat to Burro and Rob Tew after the meeting, and can assure you they are well advanced with putting some alternate (and very exciting) proposals together. I have no doubt that we are on the cusp of being a powerhouse.

B-dos

Referee
Not at all. I can respect a difference of opinion. I can't respect someone who is not up-front about their agenda.

Indeed. However people entering that debate with hidden agendas is not honest, and therefore not acceptable.

what agenda?

Is that the same fellow who resigned from the board, ostensibly due to an inability to manage a very easily managed conflict of interests?

In other words, the same guy who had opportunity to have real and substantial input, and mysteriously gave up that opportunity?

it may have been a convenient way out. however it certainly seems to me to be a valid conflict.

If you believe there wasn't more to it, that it was only that he was suddenly unable to manage something that had never been and was not an issue, I have some magic beans to sell you.

fair point. perhaps the wicks scandal was the straw that broke the camels back.

i certainly dont think repeated off-field dramas and him being a member of the board and CEO of a large sponsor is no big deal

He has been given multiple opportunities to deny interest, and has declined to do so. I can assure you my view is no "big bad conspiracy theory". I don't really appreciate the condescending tone here either champ. You know how to find me if you want to have that discussion.

gee mac, there was no condacending tone intended. apologies if it came accross the wrong way.

i certainly dont hold the view that his concern as a supporter and sponsor of the club, for its welfare necessarily means he has ulterior motives.

The chairman stated unequivocally that the status quo is unacceptable, and that they are extensively researching different financing models.

great news. very pleased to hear it

I was also able to have a quick chat to Burro and Rob Tew after the meeting, and can assure you they are well advanced with putting some alternate (and very exciting) proposals together. I have no doubt that we are on the cusp of being a powerhouse.

and again, this is great to hear. looking forward to hearing some of these plans as it will certainly be a great step forward for the club.

Karmawave

Bench
say wha? the maccas thing? lol.

The MCG has Red Rooster and Dominos.

Etihad has Nandos chicken and Subway.

Stadiums around the world have franchise outlets of McDonalds. Hong Kong stadium for one which has McDonalds and KFC. USA stadiums ditto.

If it were to happen at EAS ( it won't ) it sure wouldn't be some landmark event.

Last edited:

Latest posts