What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone just see all the talent we are losing?

How the f**k can the NRL just give up when we lose people like Webster and King to the UK after 60 NRL games?

Sure we produce some good junior but we are really losing the depth in the 5-8yr range players. It will come back to bite us on the arse

How can a person follow a team when half the roster f**ks off every year :sarcasm:

Wake up to yourselves NRL

its pretty f**king sad, and in 2yrs time all the whingers will be complaining about the lack of depth

on that point, i saw wigan playing tonight and i could swear they had 6 australian players in that team. i thought the limit was 4?

woodyk2

First Grade
Eye_Shot_The_Sheriff said:
its pretty f**king sad, and in 2yrs time all the whingers will be complaining about the lack of depth

on that point, i saw wigan playing tonight and i could swear they had 6 australian players in that team. i thought the limit was 4?
I see that all the time mate. Unfortunately the salary cap restricts how much clubs can play certain players. Union though can pay whatever they want. Why any league player would want to PLAY union is beyond me. Its obviously a greed thing.

jimmyo

Juniors
woodyk2 said:
IM not a parra supporter but letting go of Tahu astounds me.

He had an awesome year this year, but in the past it has not been so. He seems to play without passion, as if he is "playing for himself" and not the team. Add to that the fact that he's spent a fair bit of his time at Parramatta on the sideline and his huge chunk of the salary cap and I think most Eels fans would agree with me when I say that we'd rather have Inu and Hayne stay than keep Tahu.

I'm sure he'll be awesome in Union. That over-the-shoulder pass to Inu against Melbourne last week was pure Union style.

woodyk2

First Grade
jimmyo said:
He had an awesome year this year, but in the past it has not been so. He seems to play without passion, as if he is "playing for himself" and not the team. Add to that the fact that he's spent a fair bit of his time at Parramatta on the sideline and his huge chunk of the salary cap and I think most Eels fans would agree with me when I say that we'd rather have Inu and Hayne stay than keep Tahu.

I'm sure he'll be awesome in Union. That over-the-shoulder pass to Inu against Melbourne last week was pure Union style.
Fair call i suppose...but damn...he's a great player to let go to.Keepoing him AND the players you stated would be awesome for your club. Not that i like your club so dont go getting to cosy...haha...just jokes.

lucablight

First Grade
I don't think the Eels had a say in the matter. Tahu had made up his mind about joining union and nothing was going to change it.

gurl_child

Juniors
One idea could be making them sign as part of their contract that they don't switch codes for a minimum of ten years. It could be a NRl contract not a club contract. Would that be possible to apply to a player?

supersoniceagle

Juniors
gurl_child said:
One idea could be making them sign as part of their contract that they don't switch codes for a minimum of ten years. It could be a NRl contract not a club contract. Would that be possible to apply to a player?
I don't think u could stop a player doing whatever they like.

It's always hard losing good players. Tahu, King and Monaghan are probably the standouts this year. Almost makes me want to follow Super League next year

Shorty

Staff member
.....I'm sorry I just can't contribute in a thread that has somebody actually upset about losing Matt King,continue.

stevie013

Juniors
well dont say anything then shorty.

i remember reading somewhere that the ESL will be limiting the number of overseas players to 2 or 3, im not sure where i read it, it was a while ago. they scrapped the 4 player rule about 3 years ago from memory, and now they want bring something like that back in.

Azkatro

First Grade
Timana Tahu
Matt King
Shaun Berrigan
Jake Webster
Craig Gower

What other current/former internationals are we losing to Europe and/or Union after this season?

Azkatro

First Grade
stevie013 said:
well dont say anything then shorty.

i remember reading somewhere that the ESL will be limiting the number of overseas players to 2 or 3, im not sure where i read it, it was a while ago. they scrapped the 4 player rule about 3 years ago from memory, and now they want bring something like that back in.
What that could mean though is more of what we're seeing now - instead of poaching a few good players and a stack of sh*te ones, they will go straight for the cream of the crop - and be able to throw bigger bucks at them.

hitman82

Bench
Although he hasn't played much FG this year (allegedly due to his impending departure) it's a pity to see a high quality young Kiwi International like Louis Anderson off to ESL so early in his career.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I look at the teams in the ESL and think why are so many young Aussies and Kiwis playing over there when they could do well here in Australia?

The ESL used to get players that were heading towards the end of their career, now theyre getting players who are halfway into their careers, or even the start of their careers.

Including next year, here's a list of players we've lost that could or couldve still done well here:

Michael Monaghan
Louis Anderson
Brent Webb
Shaun Berrigan
Pat Richards
Jason Cayless
Casey McGuire
Adam Mogg
Clint Greenshields
Mark McLinden
David Solomona
Iafeta Paleasena (spelling?)
Shontayne Hape
Matt King
Jake Webster
Chris Hicks
Dennis Moran (well before he went there, he was still young and couldve been anything)
Tame Tupou
Glen Morrison
Chris Flannery

I hope a lot of these players return to the NRL.

You can add more players to that list, there's probably a lot more Ive missed.

Azkatro

First Grade
Just threw this list together. Players that have previously played in the NRL that have been in the English superleague in 2007 (so still currently playing). To be honest I'm surprised there's so many.

Aaron Gorrell (Dragons)
Aaron Moule (Storm)
Adrian Morley (Roosters)
Alex Chan (Northern Eagles, Eels, Storm)
Ali Lauiti'iti (Warriors)
Ben Harris (Bulldogs)
Ben Jeffries (Dragons, Wests Tigers)
Brad Drew (Panthers, Raiders, Eels)
Brent Grose (Rabbitohs, Sharks)
Brent Webb (Warriors)
Bryan Fletcher (Roosters, Rabbitohs)
Casey McGuire (Broncos)
Chad Randall (Sea Eagles)
Chris Flannery (Roosters)
Chris Leikvoll (Steelers, Dragons)
Chris McKenna (Broncos, Crushers, Sharks)
Chris Nero (Dragons)
Clinton Toopi (Warriors)
Daniel Heckenberg (Eels, Dragons, Sea Eagles)
Danny Lima (Roosters, Raiders, Northern Eagles, Sea Eagles)
David Solomona (Roosters, Eels)
David Vaealiki (Eels)
Francis Meli (Warriors)
Glenn Morrison (Tigers, Cowboys, Eels)
Gray Viane (Wests Tigers)
Henry Fa'afili (Warriors)
Hutch Maiava (Bulldogs, Sharks)
Ian Henderson (Eels, Roosters)
Ian Sibbit (Storm)
Jamaal Lolesi (Raiders, Bulldogs, Wests Tigers)
James Evans (Raiders)
James Gannon (Tigers)
Jason Cayless (Roosters, Eels)
Jason Croker (Raiders)
Jason Hooper (Steelers, Dragons)
Jerome Guisset (Raiders)
Joe Vagana (Warriors)
John Skandalis (Magpies, Wests Tigers)
John Wilshere (Storm, Reds, Dragons)
John Wilson (Eels, Wests Tigers)
Justin Murphy (Warriors)
Karl Te Mata (Warriors)
Kevin McGuinness (Magpies, Wests Tigers, Sea Eagles)
Kylie Leuluai (Tigers, Wests Tigers, Eels, Sea Eagles, Roosters)
Lee Hopkins (Panthers, Eels)
Lesley Vainikolo (Raiders)
Luke Dorn (Northern Eagles, Sea Eagles, Roosters)
Luke Quigley (Knights)
Mark McLinden (Raiders)
Mark O'Neill (Tigers, Wests Tigers)
Mathew Head (Dragons)
Matt Gafa (Raiders)
Matt Gidley (Knights)
Matt Sing (Panthers, Roosters, Cowboys)
Michael Korkidas (Roosters)
Michael Sullivan (Northern Eagles, Sharks)
Michael Vella (Eels)
Michael Withers (Tigers)
Motu Tony (Warriors, Broncos)
Ned Catic (Panthers, Roosters)
Pat Richards (Eels, Wests Tigers)
Paul Rauhihi (Knights, Bulldogs, Cowboys)
Phil Bailey (Sea Eagles, Northern Eagles, Sharks)
Richard Swain (Mariners, Storm, Broncos)
Sam Obst (Roosters)
Scott Donald (Cowboys, Eels, Sea Eagles)
Scott Hill (Bulldogs, Mariners, Storm)
Shane Elford (Panthers, Wests Tigers)
Shane Millard (Roosters, Magpies, Rabbitohs, Dragons)
Shayne McMenemy (Magpies)
Shontayne Hape (Warriors)
Sid Domic (Broncos, Panthers)
Stacey Jones (Warriors)
Tame/Gary Tupou (Broncos)
Tevita Latu (Warriors, Sharks)
Thomas Leuluai (Warriors)
Trent Barrett (Steelers, Dragons)
Vinnie Anderson (Warriors)
Willie Manu (Wests Tigers, Rabbitohs, Dragons)
Willie Talau (Bulldogs)

Also Rod Jensen was on TV last night playing for Huddersfield in the playoffs supposedly! Although that might be one of those temporary finals stints.