What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone road cycle?

JoeD

First Grade
I started a couple of years ago and borrowed a bike for a while. I bought a Marin Argenta, which is fairly basic but has mostly Shimano 105 components. I don't belong to a club and mostly ride by myself a few times a week in the summer. Riding in the dark and or rain does not appeal at all.

Crits?

Garts

Bench
I have a basic Giant. Not been out in a while but when I do I generally go to Centennial Park, if I ride on the road it is early in the morning when there is less traffic around. Worried I will get hit as it can be dangerous and I dont like holding up traffic. I know bike riders can often frustrate me on the road, I know they have as much of a right as cars but that still does not make them any less annoying sometimes. So I figure I am better of riding in places like the park.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Crits = criterium racing. Most cycling clubs do these once a week.

I have a couple of bikes, Avanti Giro (road setup, use during winter or when I'm just going climbing, commuting, on the trainer etc)

Merida Road Race 904 with clip on profile bars (for racing, have a fairly agressive setup on it but gets the most work during summer)

Wouldn't mind having a TT bike but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the investment.

roopy

Referee
I used to go on rides of 500klm or more in my holidays and regularly go for 100klm rides up and down the F3, but a few years ago i was riding up a hill on the F3 and the peddle fell off, which caused me to crash all over the road, and i have to admit i haven't had a ride since.
I'm thinking i might get a mountain bike and ride on bush tracks. More likely to crash, but at a lower speed and not into traffic.

JoeD

First Grade
My scariest moment on a bike was when i was just starting and struggling (ie going really slow) up a hill. It was a country road and there was a steel barrier on my immediate left. I was on a borrowed mountain bike getting slower and slower and moving down the gears and when i got right to the end of the gears the chain came off. My feet were clipped in and because i was going so slow i basically stopped dead and started to tip over into the road. At the last second i reached out and grabbed the metal barrier to keep myself up just as a car zoomed past where I would have fallen. I didn't really realise how close a call it was until i got home and replayed it in my head a few times. If the barrier wasn't there i would have been goneskis

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I have a basic Giant. Not been out in a while but when I do I generally go to Centennial Park, if I ride on the road it is early in the morning when there is less traffic around. Worried I will get hit as it can be dangerous and I dont like holding up traffic. I know bike riders can often frustrate me on the road, I know they have as much of a right as cars but that still does not make them any less annoying sometimes. So I figure I am better of riding in places like the park.

Cyclists dont pay to use the roads, not up here anyway so they don't have the same rights.

JoeD

First Grade
If you want to get into a cyclebashing argument there are plenty of threads in 4C for that

Latest posts