What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZ Stadium

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
I am suprised by the ammount of people that say the view at ANZ is crap.
Sure there are lots of seats that have bad views as there are in any 80,000 capacity stadium, however I dont think those seats would be used if the crowd was under 25K.
I am a season ticket holder and my seat at ANZ is better than most grounds I have been to. We sit near the fence but due to the sliding sides the seats are more elevated than similar seats at other grounds. Sitting in similar seats at Parra Stadium it feel like you are lower than the field.
People who complain about the view at ANZ have either
1. Not been since the reconfiguration or
2. Only sit in GA and choose bad seats themselves

Eels Dude

Coach
There's too much space between the field and where the seating starts. And if you don't want to sit in general admission you have to pay around 30 bucks a ticket! Considering I pay 22 at Parramatta and sit close to the halfway line this is a complete ripoff.

Evenflow

Bench
If people don't like a certain stadium then they just don't like it. Do they have to just because it happens to meet criteria you like in a stadium? You even said yourself you're surprised at the amount of people who dislike the place so that would tell you it certainly isn't as rugby league friendly to them as it is to you.

fourplay

Juniors
For an 80k stadium, you just can't start the seating that far away from the side line.

The North and South stands start about 20m away from the deadball line and the main grandstands are 15m away.

Lambretta

First Grade
For a good view of Rugby League you want to sit ideally in an elevated position, somewhere between the 20 yard lines on the side of the grounds.

You also want the pitch to start as close to where the fence ends as possible and the stadium seating to be steeply elevated so the fans remain as close to the action as possible.

Upton Park in England is a brilliant example of this.

The tiers behind the goals for example require climbing equipement for you to get into your seat and the end result is that you actually look down onto the top of the goalkeepers head from the back row as you're virtually above him!

ANZ suffers from the fact that the seats start about 50 metres from the pitch and by the time you're 3 feet off the ground you're 7 miles from where the game is being played.

Sitting in the box seats on the station side of the ground which are about halfway up the bottom tier and you watch the majority of the game on the big screen. Which has worse clarity than the TV at home. Add to this sitting in the elements, dealing with the general public, not getting a choice of beers and drinking out of plastic and absolutely no atmosphere inside the stadium.

One of the major factors about attending games is the electric atmosphere and the rush you feel and the energy you get off your fellow spectators. ANZ pretty much ensures that this aspect of live viewing is completely absent.

When you add all that together with the fact that during my first 10 visits to ANZ I saw the team I was supporting lose on 9 occasions - well, i just gave up attending the venue. It was disappointment onto top of let downs all wrapped up in failure.

f**k that for a game of soldiers.

Coastbloke

Bench
I think Western Sydney needs a minimum 40,000 seat stadium built along the lines of Suncorp, Skilled Park (Gold Coast) or the new MRS and keep the ANZ Stadium for SOOs and big events..

Needs to be near a train line and have other decent transport links..

The new western stand at Wollongong will be a dream. The sidelines at WIN are about 4-5m from the fence. With the new stand being two tiered and tryline to tryline, it'll be the best place to watch football in the comp!

chunk

Juniors
Its terrible compared to other footy grounds around the world.....very ordinary.

Shame for such a footy focused city like Sydney

Lambretta

First Grade
I think Western Sydney needs a minimum 40,000 seat stadium built along the lines of Suncorp, Skilled Park (Gold Coast) or the new MRS and keep the ANZ Stadium for SOOs and big events..

Needs to be near a train line and have other decent transport links..

NSW will never do such a thing, it's far too sensible and it's exactly what is needed.

What you will get is a stadium that is tiny and completely full with 15,000 in or alternatively an enourmous stadium that you need 80,000 in it just to make it feel like there's 15 people in it.

It will be miles from anywhere and you'll need to change public transport 87 times to get there or drive, queue for hours to get there and pay thousands for the honour of attending.

This is not Queensland or Victoria it's New South Wales. We're run by moronic arseholes and we want to ensure that whatever we do we pay 10 times over the odds to do it and it'll suit absolutely f**king no one.

It's called design by State Labor commitee and it's very similar to "design by those that should have been committed years ago".

simon says

First Grade
I had season tix(being a tiger) at ANZ and SFS,and the SFS kicks arse compared to ANZ.

Right in town........pub crawl and game in a ground where 20 is a big atmosphere.

ANZ>.....midle of no where,have to change trains just to get there,one pub within 10 miles,and at the game you need a telescope and a crowd of 20 is EMPTY.

VEry happy to be at SFS/

CC_Roosters

First Grade
i've been to old trafford, anz, suncorp and half a dozen irish league soccer grounds. ANZ was as good to watch sport in as any other, i was in the front row at 40m line for parra v dogs last july and didnt really think the field was that far from where i was sitted. admittedly the top tiers on either side would make for interesting eye strain but the rest looked to offer decent to good views to me.

on ticket price versus seat $40 for a sideline category 1 seat (adult bulldogs) seems pretty fair to me given its a top quality national comp. you would pay upwards of £40 or approx. $80 for that an EPL game, where you get to watch fairys get knocked over by a feather.

it would be good to see each of the suburban grounds upgraded over time to get 20K seats minimum. sydney looks regionally tribal like london with its numerous teams and stadiums, except their the stadia were built bigger and earlier. so maybe better to upgrade a lot of suburban grounds than build a new whte elephant in one suburb?

beave

Coach
ANZ is utter $hit.

They can go on about the stands being pushed 'in' for league games, but at the end of the day those tops tiers cannot be moved and there is not enough elevation for those lower seats. The amenities are okay, and the train station is decent enough, but for far as viewing a game, I would rather watch it at home. I was lucky enough to get into the QANTAS box back in 2000 and that was fantastic, however, you are talking about a deluxe box right next to the broadcast box on the 45m line on the bottom of the 2nd tier. But every other game I leave the joint disappointed at how ordinary the view is at that joint.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i've been in the higher levels at anz and also a couple of nfl stadiums.

the experience is pretty comparable, truth be told.

LRC

As has been mentioned ...the problem is the pitch of the seating...
I just don't know who designed this stadium and if they actually attend sporting events.
Sure everybody has there favourite position and if its on the fence along the side line then you won't generally care about any of the grounds.
However like a few others, I like to be elevated somewhere between the 30 meters lines. At ANZ you have to sit too far away from the filed to get the elevation I like.

Even then it costs $35 for the tickets I like at ANZ and hence I will stay home,..if it was $20 I would go..

Paulie Jay

Juniors
I don't mind ANZ if I'm on the concourses, either GA or the more expensive centre seats. But once you start climbing stairs into the upper deck, forget it. I went to the first State of Origin game played at Homebush and copped a ticket way up the back, way up high. It was pointless. I swore never to sit up there again, even if it meant missing a big game.

sooperdooper

First Grade
if you have good seats ANZ is fine...
but like any large stadium.. when you dont have good seats you dont have good seats.
Behind the goals at ANZ is where it is the worst..

Latest posts