What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC Day 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Obviously not the performance or result we were looking for yesterday. I don't know what it is but the dragons seems to step up for this game and we don't, I said it in the main thread but I don't ever remember us winning as underdogs in this fixture or even playing above ourselves as opposed to saints who do it regularly. To illustrate the point it is 5-6 in ANZAC games dating back to 2011 (I don't count our win in 2020 as it wasn't a proper ANZAC match), however it is 10-0 in non ANZAC games in that period.

On to the actual game and season, I still see no need to panic and there are a lot of 2018 vibes about how the season has unfolded thus far. Defensively we have been fine conceding 52 points the last 4 games which is good going and having the equal 4th best defence overall at this stage. It is the attack that is struggling at the moment combined with very lacklustre starts tot he games which has seen us play from behind more often than not. Yesterday our 2nd half was very good but a few key errors chasing the game cost us ultimately. We didn't deserve to win though and I think we will get far more out of losing than stealing that victory in the long run.

Some change is required but certainly not wholesale. Momo is an issue, he constantly drops the ball when contested (yesterday's was pathetic), is getting given a bath week in week out and doesn't offer anything in attack. I reckon Keighran is the right option as he was serviceable last year leaving young Sualli on the wing who I thought was very good yesterday and will form a deadly combo with Joey as the year progresses.

We also have to find a way to unlock Keary, at the moment Sam is doing it all on his own. Perhaps it is time to swap them back to their natural positions? Our backline greatly benefits from Keary running at the edges and making a decision form there. Sam won't need to play any differently at 7 than he is now at 6 and will continue to play what is in front of him.

Forwards wise we have to forgive JWH and Radley yesterday, apparently both had the flu all week and perhaps should just have not played. SST was very good and young Baker is coming along nicely as well with Collins slowly getting back to form after an ACL and that will just take time as it did with JWH in 2016/17. I am a big fan of Sitilli but he does have a defensive lapse in him and needs to clean that up sooner than later. We would potentially benefit with N Butcher starting and Sitilli coming off the bench as impact.

Hooker? We don't really have much option here than to stick with Verills. He is obviously playing for his career at this stage with Smith arriving next year. Looks like our best option for this year is a combination of him, Hutch and Watson.

Last note on yesterday's game, we have to forgive Tupou as well, he has been near on our best the first 6 games.

3 SST
2 Sualli
1 Walker

Bulldogs next and I expect the team to be hurting, come out firing and produce a good performance. If they don't then we will be at the stage where more significant changes are required.

I’m not feeling the 2018 vibes but I’m glad one of us does. Back then we were waiting for Coops and Teddy to get into gear once they became accustomed to our systems. Now we have Keary who appears spooked with one more HIA possibly ending his career, he looks a little tame, and Sammy is still too young. Attack, especially in the first half was side to side and predictable. I agree they should swap numbers. Also, we had the discipline that the captaincy of Friend/Cords brought back then as well and seemingly irreplaceable. Latts was also in that team.

Agree with your thoughts on Sitilli defensive lapses plus he has a drop ball in him in every game it seems. Still love him, though and could go well from the bench. Didn’t know Jared and Rads were crook, so forgiven. Can we really afford to let SST go at year’s end?

We won’t win the comp with our current hooker/s. Verills best in an understudy role from the bench, so yeh, Hutch and Watson in combo role.

Defence was odd in that we let two soft tries in our end but was mighty in their half often restricting them to sub 40 metre gains.

Although quiet in the first half, Manu was back to his dangerous best in the second half but we appear too reliant on him to do something and Sualli gives me optimism for the future.

3. Manu for giving me most to cheer about.
2. SST
1. Sammy

Valheru

Coach
When I say 2018 vibes I mean in terms of the early season struggles and finding our feet as a team so to speak. I don't expect the end result will be the same as 2018 but I do expect drastic improvement by the end of the season. We are probably waiting on B Smith to be a legit title threat again.

When I say 2018 vibes I mean in terms of the early season struggles and finding our feet as a team so to speak. I don't expect the end result will be the same as 2018 but I do expect drastic improvement by the end of the season. We are probably waiting on B Smith to be a legit title threat again.
Fair enough and hope you’re right re improvement. Would like to see us in top form when we come back to Allianz.