What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC Day match

Diesel

Referee
Is it time for the Warriors to host this match against the Storm on ANZAC Day at Eden Park?

Since we have 1 game a year at EP, we should play it vs Storm on alternative years.

This is the 4th or 5th time we have played on the day, what are your thoughts?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Having our Anzac Day match always in Aussie pisses me off ... especially when it starts so damn late over here.

Having our Eden Park game on Anzac Day is a great idea IMO, it could be an afternoon game and the time would still fit around the Dragoons/Rooters match to keep the TV networks happy.

I'd vote for it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Pretty sure it was a concept that Melbourne came up with themselves and pitched to the NRL, not sure how much involvement the Warriors had in making this an annual game ? If so then I'd say Melbourne made part of the agreement that they would host the match

Morfs

Juniors
Pretty sure it was a concept that Melbourne came up with themselves and pitched to the NRL, not sure how much involvement the Warriors had in making this an annual game ? If so then I'd say Melbourne made part of the agreement that they would host the match

This. It was originally a Storm concept, and as I understand it, the Warriors were initially reluctant to accept. The game itself works well in Melbourne, and is a nice counterpoint to the AFL ANZAC Day match over the road.

Rather than swapping the ANZAC Day match yearly, why not have all Warriors home matches against the Storm at Eden Park? They're traditionally good clashes, and this could help attract a decent crowd.

Blair

Coach
It would be great to hold it in another city apart from Auckland (considering Eden Park and I suppose Nth Harbour stadium are the only two first rate venues but the Warriors don't gel there).

They could have helped Ch.Ch war veterans with this match at what used to be called the Addington Showgrounds, which is now fitted out for the Crusaders, which has a capacity of 20,000 I believe.

How many war vets are struggling after the Earthquake? It'd be a nice touch.

hitro

Juniors
def more chance of winning at AAMI than Eden Park, or Harbour or ChCh...
What's wrong with Mt Smart anyway? If it's a Warriors home game why would it be anywhere else??

Diesel

Referee
EP was just a thought, I have no issues with it played at Mt Smart, but even as it was suggested above, in Christchurch or elsewhere is a good idea.

LeagueNut

First Grade
It would be great to hold it in another city apart from Auckland (considering Eden Park and I suppose Nth Harbour stadium are the only two first rate venues but the Warriors don't gel there).

They could have helped Ch.Ch war veterans with this match at what used to be called the Addington Showgrounds, which is now fitted out for the Crusaders, which has a capacity of 20,000 I believe.

How many war vets are struggling after the Earthquake? It'd be a nice touch.
Is Christchurch still on the waiting list for an Anzac Test? Or has that idea been and gone?

Blair

Coach
Looks like the AFL beat the NRL to it anyway.

That game at Wellington today looked a great success before ball was even, er, bounced.

It helps that it isn't a mere exhibition game either, it's for points. With St. Kilda's season on the line no less.

Is Christchurch still on the waiting list for an Anzac Test? Or has that idea been and gone?

I don't know about an Anzac test but it does appear that the Crusaders have really taken ownership of that ground, which was previously the South Island's main RL test venue.

Last edited:

Latest posts