What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are commentators allowed to bet on games?

Serious question

If they are than it should be stopped. I feel like I'm watching two desperate derps splash their money out on the mandurah greyhounds every time I watch a game these days

Compare it to 10yrs ago when they used to call the game and there was no ridiculous bias in the call

Really irritating and reducing my enjoyment levels when it comes to league

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
Why wouldn't they be allowed to? They're not involved in the game itself.

I know here they are allowed to bet on the games so i don't see why Australia would be any different they aren't affiliated with the clubs or the actual NRL, they're employed by a TV channel.

redandgreenduck

Juniors
Serious question

If they are than it should be stopped. I feel like I'm watching two desperate derps splash their money out on the mandurah greyhounds every time I watch a game these days

Compare it to 10yrs ago when they used to call the game and there was no ridiculous bias in the call

I tipped Ray into the Bunnies 20 plus....Nice pick up Rabs

eozsmiles

Bench
Serious question

I don't think it makes much difference.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It irritates me, but not as much as the ridiculous hyperbole.

Andrew Johns said 'if any man is built to play through injury it's Sam Burgess' at least 3 times in 2 minutes. Then Alex Johnston is a freak (is he, or can he just catch a ball and score tries well?) and all the other amounts of creaming over every decent player.

I don't know many sports that feel they have to add as much commentary mayo as rugby league and CH9 in particular do.

WaznTheGreat

Referee

Andrew Johns said 'if any man is built to play through injury it's Sam Burgess' at least 3 times in 2 minutes. Then Alex Johnston is a freak (is he, or can he just catch a ball and score tries well?) and all the other amounts of creaming over every decent player.

I don't know many sports that feel they have to add as much commentary mayo as rugby league and CH9 in particular do.

Everyone is the greatest of all time according to Joey,one minute Jarryd Hayne is the greatest he has ever seen,the next Greg Inglis is the greatest he has ever seen,nek minnit Jonathon Thurston is the greatest he has ever seen etc etc etc

Cammo

Bench
Commentators are bias???? Well I never.......

Who cares to be honest. Yes they are bias, and so they should be really, I know I would be if I was a commentator

God-King Dean

Immortal
I swear they had money on Storm v Bulldogs.

Never heard a commentary team so bummed out to see a team lose.

eozsmiles

Bench

Same. According to the commentators there are about 12 future immortals running around at the moment. I understand that they know who the best players are and they assume that the fans want to hear them gushed over. We do to a point but it's a bit much. Without fail during every Storm game a caller will say that Billy Slater is the best FB ever. Every game. We know how good he is. Maybe they could just keep it to once a month, or when something awesome happens.

Maybe that contributed to the mood in the commentary box during that Storm/Dogs game. They knew they weren't going to get to call the superstars again this year.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why not? As long as they're citizens with no official connection to a club then go it.

I have to say about gambling, besides the punchability levels of their heads what is the difference between Tom Wankerhouse and Joel Caine giving the odds every 5 minutes?

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
What influence do they have on what replays are to be shown? If they have any influence then they should not be allowed to bet on the game.

Auckland4ever

Juniors

Johns starts every other sentence with "I don't think I ever seen..." before talking about a player, a try, a pass, a tackle, a run etc etc etc. - as if whats happened has never happened before in the history of the game. It's like he's in that film "Memento", as the guy who can't ever remember anything about the day before .

POPEYE

Coach
My missus watched the game live on 9, I only watched the replay on Fox. Today she wanted to watch it again because she's a passionate Souths fan. She was amazed at the difference the way the game was analysed between the different commentary teams . . . money being lost or won somewhere?

kbw

Bench
Its more a problem that they are just plainly useless.
Rabbits Warren is so bad it is embarassing and the others are trying hard to make him sound good.

ram raid

Bench
Serious question

Just because Joey was saying sensible things like "Souths are going to win this" doesn't mean he was punting on the game.