What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are South Sydney the real deal?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Simple question: are Souths serious contenders this year, or are they building their fans up for an almighty let down in September?

Souths have had a very easy draw over the last few months, and I've been thinking up until this week their form has been a bit of a chimera (after all, they lost in the two games they came up against decent opposition - Canterbury and Brisbane, who were still in form at that time). The Titans are the first decent team they've toppled in ages, in my opinion. And they did it well - the Tits had all the possession and field position for most of the match, but needed a dropped bomb to crack Souths' defence. That defence has been a big question mark over Souths, even this year, so it must be pleasing for their fans to see that. It's what you need to win finals matches. They certainly have the attacking arsenal to get the job done, especially once Inglis returns.

So my answer to my own question is yes, Souths are the real deal - probably. I still have nagging doubts, but they will be assuaged if they can topple Manly and Cronulla over the next fortnight.

And please - no lol@souffs in this thread. There's already a dedicated thread for such purposes.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Honestly? No.

When they've come up against big name teams with credentials, they've faltered. Including yesterday - giving up twelve points in the last ten minutes. I can see Manly grinding them down on Friday night.

Hell, it was only by a freak of nature they beat the Roosters.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
It will make it even funnier when they fall.
Manly, Melbourne, Dogs, Cowboys will all belt them into next year, imo

BunniesMan

Immortal
Most people will say no I expect BUT we defended our way to an excellent victory against an in form team in their house.

And anyone dismissing our wins as being against easy beats, Manly and Melbourne and Brisbane have been losing to these teams. 2 losses in the last 75 days.

And on top of that we've won 2 in a row without our superstar spine players.

I don't see how anyone can rate us as anything lower than the 2nd best contender atm.

The Dogs are the #1 form team and deserving favourites. But yes we are the real deal and deserve to be 2nd favourites.

FWIW, Gus seems to be convinced of our credentials:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...titanic-test-of-character-20120805-23o1t.html

Edit: Bookies have us as equal 2nd favourites at 4.50. Manly at 5.50 with noone else under $12

well.
you just have to get there and make a run.

theyre as good a chance as anyone.

Doggie and Melbourne wpould be the 2 favourites. then Souths, Manly...Brisbane although theyre faltering a bit.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
At full strength, we finally have some strong defence which has been lacking. Though, I would argue that our attack is still our strength.

The first semi will sort out if we are a contender or pretender.

That all said, whilst we hope to win it if we can get into the top 4, you are right that we don't have the experience in these games across the park.

Just to play a semi is a big step forward for the club, which we would hope we can build on, even if this is not the year for us.

Packy

Bench
I think Souths are the strongest team in the comp atm.

I can't write off Manly or the Storm once the finals kick in, but at the moment, with a full squad available, you can't go past them.

ceagle

Bench
Most people will say no I expect BUT we defended our way to an excellent victory against an in form team in their house.

And anyone dismissing our wins as being against easy beats, Manly and Melbourne and Brisbane have been losing to these teams. 2 losses in the last 75 days.

And on top of that we've won 2 in a row without our superstar spine players.

I don't see how anyone can rate us as anything lower than the 2nd best contender atm.

The Dogs are the #1 form team and deserving favourites. But yes we are the real deal and deserve to be 2nd favourites.

FWIW, Gus seems to be convinced of our credentials:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...titanic-test-of-character-20120805-23o1t.html

Edit: Bookies have us as equal 2nd favourites at 4.50. Manly at 5.50 with noone else under $12
If the great Gus Gould who predicted the Broncos would win it this year says so, then it must be true.

yobbo84

Coach
I love the "they haven't beaten anyone lately" line. So the first half of the season doesn't count? We've already accounted for the Dogs (should've beaten them twice), Sharks and Cowboys.

We've handled with ease all the teams around the fringe of the eight.

Write us off at your own peril. I'm confident that if we can get all our big names firing at the same time, only Melbourne have the talent to go with us.

Juju

Juniors
As much as it pains me to say it - you don't fluke 2nd place.
And they have been playing a attractive brand of football (up there with the bulldogs)

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Won't be able to answer that question until finals time. Teams can look great during the regular season but things go up a notch when those games come around so my answer really depends on whether or not Souths can collectively go up that extra gear that we already know teams like Melbourne, Manly, Brisbane can.

The next two weeks will also tell us a lot, mainly because they could decide where the Rabbits finish. They're safely in the top 4 imo, but they will be desperate to avoid a trip to Melbourne in the first week of the finals (as would most teams).

beave

Coach
Yeah they're the real deal.

Unfortunately my team would get thrashed by them if we were to face off in a finals game at the moment.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Our record against the Dogs is 1-1 and should be 2-0 if Farrell kept his toes up. We lost our 1 game against Melbourne in round 2. We've beaten the Sharks and Cowboys comfortably. We got done twice by the Broncos and fair play to that. They seem to have our measure, but our second game against them was our worst performance of the season. We didn't give ourselves a chance. We'll get a good indication of where we are at on Friday, but our record against the current top 6 is 3-2 so I would have thought we'd proven a fair bit to be second at round 23.

Jason Maher

Immortal
As much as it pains me to say it - you don't fluke 2nd place.
And they have been playing a attractive brand of football (up there with the bulldogs)

St. George-Illawarra in 2009 and Penrith in 2010 are the counterpoint to what you're saying. Neither of them fluked a high position, but they were both shown up when the shit got real.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im not convinced yet. They are playing a top brand of footy at the moment but they are still having lapses in their concentration.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think Souths are the strongest team in the comp atm.

I can't write off Manly or the Storm once the finals kick in, but at the moment, with a full squad available, you can't go past them.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

If the great Gus Gould who predicted the Broncos would win it this year says so, then it must be true.
+1
I love the "they haven't beaten anyone lately" line. So the first half of the season doesn't count? We've already accounted for the Dogs (should've beaten them twice), Sharks and Cowboys.

We've handled with ease all the teams around the fringe of the eight.

Write us off at your own peril. I'm confident that if we can get all our big names firing at the same time, only Melbourne have the talent to go with us.
Bulldogs last six games: def Storm (1st) 20-4, def Tigers (7th) 32-20, def Eels (last) 32-12, def Manly (6th) 20-12, def Cowboys (5th) 32-18, def Knights (10th) 26-10

Souths last six games: def Panthers (15th) 38-12, def Knights (12th) 34-14, def Roosters (13th) 24-22, def Dragons (11th) 36-14, def Tigers (9th) 32-6, def Titans (8th)

Notice a difference in the class of opposition each side has had to overcome in the last six weeks? The first half of the season certainly counts but the competition is vastly different now and into the finals.

I have no doubt South Sydney are a very good football team and will threaten the finals, but I don't believe they are the "real deal" as much as the Storm or Bulldogs are. Manly are the other team I see there at the business end - they've been there and done it all, and are well and truly capable of doing it again.

Ausguy

Coach
I said yes but finals is different. I didn't have confidence in the sharks to match anyone until yesterday. If w can get our team back on the park the match v souths will be a cracker in a few weeks.

Latest posts