What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the ICC doing enough for developing countries?

Timbo

Staff member
In a word, no.

I was reading some further comments from the head of cricket Ireland, who as some may be aware began the application for full ICC membership late last year.

Ireland would be the first new full member since Zimbabwe in 1992. Essentially, the response from the ICC was 'good luck' - no further feedback, advice or even criterion that they needed to satisfy was offered.

Several nations around the world - notably Ireland, Holland, Canada, Kenya, Namibia and the UAE - have large numbers of registered cricketers. All of them (barring Namibia) already have at least one ICC sanctioned international venue. Some have two or three. Canada has a semi-professional domestic competition, and Ireland's national team competes in English domestic limited overs competitions.

What I'm saying is - so much of the hard work is already done. The Intercontinental Cup was a good start, but now it has stagnated. Why isn't the ICC helping out with more money for things like sending national 'A' sides on tours? Or funding the best developing countries on tour?

How good would it be for Canada to send their national team to New Zealand, play some provincial teams and some 'tests' against New Zealand 'A'. They'd get their brains beaten in, at first, then they'd get better.

When the tour is over, Pakistan 'A' should be touring. Then they should be off to Sri Lanka. etc.

The ICC has obscenely deep pockets, I think they are failing the next generation of test teams. In a big, big way.

IanG

Coach
Actually the last country to gain Full Membership was Bangladesh in 2000. Well we all know where they've gone since then. If anything they've gone backwards. Funny thing is they've always done well at Under 19s level but then they hit a wall.

Timbo

Staff member
Oops forgot Bangladesh.

Still, rest of my point is valid.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I get the feeling that the ICC is more interested in the sub continent than other parts of the world, so country like Afghanistan would probably have more of a chance that those other countries

JJ

Immortal
Not sure Bangladesh have gone backwards at all, what is that comment based on?

Agree with Timbo 100%, but the other problem is that some of the smaller curent test nations, in particular West Indies and New Zealand risk being destroyed by the 20:20 $$$...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Ireland have done FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more than Bangladesh had done before the Bangers were given full status.

Lets compare the two nations. What did Bangladesh achieve before they were given test status

Won two ACC trophies (Asian tournament for non test playing nations)
Won an ICC trophy. Came second last in group in World Cup that winning that trophy qualified them for. Scotland finished below them. They did however amusingly beat Pakistan.

Lets see what Ireland has done since 2005
Won one ICC trophy and come second in another. Thus qualifying for two world cups (the last and the next). Made the group of 8 in world cup. Beat Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Won three intercontinental trophies in a row.
Won two European Championships (in a row, also finished 2nd in 2004 and won it in 96)

The intercontinental trophy exists as a pathway into Test cricket. Ireland have won it three times in a row. They have won 77 percent of all games in that tournament. It is a disgrace they do not have full status.

Latest posts