1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

INCLUDES team lists, match previews, match reports, key stats and news from around the National Rugby League - 36 pages and packed full.

EDITION 2 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Are the NH teams falling more behind.

Discussion in 'World Cup 2021' started by Irish-bulldog, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Irish-bulldog

Irish-bulldog Juniors

Ok I claimed before the World Cup that our state leagues here in Australia could match it with some lower superleague clubs. I was laughed out of the room. But png just rolled Ireland, France lost to Lebanon, Scotland and wales are woeful !, the Americans deadset would beat both. Italy is full of Australians, England just beat a team of park footballers for god sake.

Then you look at the rise of png from the qld cup, Fiji, tonga, Samoa ! The standard is just dominating NH teams.

I'm genuinely concerned about the state of the standard of the superleague ?, anyone have any thoughts about what's going wrong ? What this World Cup has exposed ?.

Bobby DIGital likes this.
  2. East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger Coach

Yes. I won't repeat my post from the Wales are shit thread, but yes.

Irish-bulldog likes this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Juniors

Logical consequence of the change of eligibility rule: the gap between north and south is growing. England is not safe from losing to Tonga or Fiji

axl rose and Irish-bulldog like this.
  4. Irish-bulldog

Irish-bulldog Juniors

So how does the superleague stop this train wreck ?. They have to see what's happening

5. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

I know our sport never does this, but we need a proper long term plan to deal with this. North hemisphere teams are sliding and southern hemisphere are powering away.

6. Irish-bulldog

Irish-bulldog Juniors

And to be honest we can't let Europe die, it can't just be the nrl keeping the sport alive to be honest.

parrawentyfan likes this.
  7. NRLMad

NRLMad Juniors

Possibly, mainly in part due to the amount of unemployed aussies shifting there, the ESL teams need to promote more of their own. Develop a halves academy and help out France, Scotland, Wales, Ireland by taking 1-2 of each per team per year.

8. jim_57

jim_57 Bench

What i think would help and where the RLIF should be looking to put a lot of the profit.

Under 18 junior world Championship every year. Regional 1 year, World 6 nations the next.

Year 1
    U18 Pacific Cup - Australia, NZ, PNG, Fiji/Samoa/Cook Islands/Tonga
    U18 Euro Cup - England, France, Wales, Ireland/Italy/Serbia/Spain/Russia
    U18 NA Cup - USA, Canada, Jamaica

Year 2
    U18 World 6
    U18 Pacific Shield
    U18 Euro Shield
    U18 NA Shield

Wash rinse repeat. A thorough junior program could be the best investment the RLIF could make. We need to get the best juniors playing from all countries every year, giving talented youngsters a platform to perform and quite frankly get themselves in the spotlight of Professional development systems earlier. We can't keep letting potential go to waste like we see with France's junior results.

9. johnny plath

johnny plath Juniors

Really..how is this a logical consequence of an eligibility rule. .how does a rule consistent with most other sports produce poor international teams in the nh. The growing gap is a logical consequences that northern hemisphere rugby league is doing little to improve its standard. Why do we advocate lowering standards of some teams to even competition when we should be making efforts to raise the standard of the plodders.

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

1. Give free passports to any islander family that wants to move to england, has worked for nrl!
    2. Chuck a load of money at welsh union players. Worked ten years ago. And get Crusaders back into SL
    3. Stop pretending Scotland is a rugby league playing nation. Put the money into Jamaica, they are physically better equipped for the game same as islanders.
    4. Get Toulouse into SL and stop the Dragons filling their team with sht Australians
    5. Reduce SL quota for English clubs to two non home nations eligible players and make every club run a jnr set up and a reserve grade
    6. If all that fails,play as GB!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  11. Northern

Northern Juniors

It's been a tough, if not unexpected, watch for the European nations. Yes, the gap is massive to the SH teams from the tier below the old big three. The game just isn't played in Scotland, hardly any at all in Ireland and there are a few teams in Wales. On top of that, I'm not sure what genuine interest there is in Ireland & Scotland and the interest from Wales will have been shaken after this competition. I love League and international League in particular, so it's tough to face up to this, but what future is there for any teams from Europe bar England and possibly France? Outside of the heritage players, who often figure for teams outside of Super League, Wales is only producing a few players, Ireland and Scotland one or two squad members at best who would struggle in the Championship. The strength of the Pacific nations is off the scale compared to a waifer thin depth outside of England in Europe.

I'd love it if it were different, but I think the future is bleak for everyone except England & France up here.

Bloody hell, anyone got The Samaritans number????

12. Big Salad

Big Salad Juniors

I think England got it right coming to Australia for a practice match in the middle of the year. Conditions are so vastly different here with bigger fields, dry track, bigger in-goals creating more room which exposes the weaker defensive teams and keeps the ball in play longer. The first three tries Scotland conceded on the weekend were through gaps so large, it looked like they only had 10 players on the field. Compare this with Scotland-NZ game at the last four nations which was played on a very small field with tiny in-goals on a cold and wet night which made it far easier for Scotland to contain NZ and then make ground up the field. Not saying this is the biggest issue, but it's been a noticeable one.

KokoRugbyLeague likes this.
  13. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

It is called uneven development

roughyedspud and Irish-bulldog like this.
  14. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

If you switched the pre tournament injury tolls of Wales and Samoa or Tonga I think we'd be having a different conversation.
    Ireland showed what a difference a few SL players make.
    That said it's a sign of poor depth.

Scotland are a lost cause. Even with their best squad they don't deserve to be here anyway

15. Irish-bulldog

Irish-bulldog Juniors

but a heavliy based state Cup team png team beat a heavily based super league Irish team ? Same could be said for France vs Lebanon

Are you in denial about the quality of the super league ?.

16. Albert Rosenfeld

Albert Rosenfeld Bench

The northern hemisphere will only progress when the following happens:

1. Toulouse and at least one other French club, preferably two other clubs (including Paris) are admitted to Super League.

2. Toronto and three other North American clubs (pref. Montreal, New York and either Boston/Philadelphia,/Jacksonville) are admitted to Super League.

3. The French and North American teams are forced to rely on a majority of squads French or North American born players respectively within five years of admission to Super League.

4. London and at least one other non-M62 club is admitted to Super League.

17. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Get your facts right..
    Ireland team contained 6 current Super League players.
    PNG team contained 4 current NRL players + 1 SL, and most of the rest play together in the premiership winning Cup team.

18. Pommy

Pommy Coach

I think it’s a slight over reaction to a bad performance. We never looked like losing the game even though we were pretty dire. If we’re as equally bad against France then I will start to worry.

19. Irish-bulldog

Irish-bulldog Juniors

I thought Ireland had more then 6 SL players :thinking:.

Png have 3 reg nrl players in that team. Not exactly stacked. Yeah it's concerning when our cup comps are on par with SL type players.

20. Front-Rower

Front-Rower Bench

To promote quality you need money. The top management of our game need to commit funds for quality coaching and programs which ensure players are aware that there is clear pathway for their development. It’s all well and good to say that this team need to play this team more often etc but when you are only playing against teams and players that are at the same standard as yourself nothing will change as you don’t learn anything.

The proof is in the NRL.