What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the refs worse this year or is everyone just being more ciritical?

Benek

Juniors
Elliott is crying conspiracy over repeated bad calls against the Warriors at key momentum changing points in our close loses. Cartwright is going crazy over bad calls in the Titans most recent game. Every game there is at least one terrible ref's decision, which is usually a video ref call which is even worse.

I love the way they've clarified video ref decisions by forcing the on-field ref to make a call and the video ref can overrule only if there's clear evidence to support it. Eliminates benefit of the doubt which is great.

But despite this, we are still getting so many poor decisions from video refs that leave everyone scratching their heads. And I'm not talking just about Warriors games. Everyone is being hit with bad calls from video refs.

Curious to know what people think. Are the refs getting worse, or is everyone just getting more and more critical? Or are the new rule changes stupid and too difficult to interpret and that's the problem?

p.s. Ennis had no eyes at all for the ball on that falcon. 100% intention just to hit Fish. I agree with Elliott that was a shocker of a call.

ozbash

Referee
With the added extra of more video ref, I think we have every right to be disappointed with some of the calls.

It should be getting better, not worse.

jamaman

Juniors
Crying excuse ..reality they can't perform 80 minutes if they did they would be in the eight

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think they are going better, even though there have been some poor calls here and there

Personally, I think it is ridiculous of Elliott claiming conspiracy etc. If there was, how does he explain the awarding of Johnson's try against the Titans which proved to be crucial. It goes both ways with poor calls, the good teams in the comp overcome it though

I was seeing triple by the time the Warriors got into the 2nd half so can't comment too much on it, but the ball hit Ennis before contact didn't it ? You can say he wasn't going for the ball, but every game I watch I see fullbacks getting smoked the minute the second they catch the ball with the chaser having zero intent to catch it. How the impact after the ball hit Ennis impacted the play im not sure on coz haven't seen it closely

The fans,commentators and media aren't happy with a lot of the obstruction calls, but I think they have brought that on themselves. The 1st few weeks of the comp, it was black and white, you watched it and every decision was consistent after a decoy made contact with a tackler, no try. Anderson buckled to the pressure and we are now back to the guessing game with these calls

Abdullah

Juniors
just bl00dy rubbish...they chop and change rule as they go along...obstruction rule i am talking about, its like a monster created by anderson, changing and evolving its mad self each week.

Meth

Staff member
With the added extra of more video ref, I think we have every right to be disappointed with some of the calls.

It should be getting better, not worse.

this

it's one thing for on-field referees to get it wrong. With all that technology, there's no excuses.

Micistm

Bench
Theres still some shockers here and there- For all teams- And that's just the way it goes IMO. Even with extensive replays interpretation of a rule is personal opinion, and that's how 50/50 calls go one way or another. We're all biased to our own teams when it comes down to it, and we all think we're hard done by...remembering to calls against us but not the ones for us.
What's more interesting is Hollywood Harrigans admittance that refs under him had premeditated ideas about certain teams and players, that they did their homework as he put it.
That's a disgrace, and makes the officials subconsciously biased. They will watch certain players and teams for specific infringements, while they are looking that closely at some, no doubt others get away with blue murder. That's exactly how conspiracy theories can start.

spear tackle

Juniors
i thiunk it's more noticable this year partly due to a change if referee boss' during the off season and hearing in the media that it was going to be better and all past problems were going to be fixed, guess what, they wern't