What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the Young Bronco Forwards Soft?

Rob Dragon

Juniors
OK, I am sticking my neck out here because the young Bronco forwards are super talented, but are they a tad soft? No doubt they have come through their junior grades monstering other kids, but as we all know, 1st grade NRL is another matter entirely.

They have lost very experienced hard head leaders in Thaiday, Sims and McGuire this year and when the going gets tough you want to be able to stand under the goal-posts and have a tough nut tell you some home truths and then to lead the way. Who does that now for them?

The way Felise terrorised them last night and the way Sims terrorised at Suncorp in September last year just has me thinking about them. I remember a young Lance Thompson commenting about the impact Craig Smith had on the Dragons pack back in 1999 when he arrived. Thompson said they were scared of Smith and that you understood that you did as you were told. Neville Costigan had a similar impact (alongside Beau Scott) back in 2009-10. You understood there were mongrels in the pack.

Of course I am eating a large humble pie if they go on and win the comp......but? Now I'm ducking for cover!!!!!!!!

Old Timer

Coach
OK, I am sticking my neck out here because the young Bronco forwards are super talented, but are they a tad soft? No doubt they have come through their junior grades monstering other kids, but as we all know, 1st grade NRL is another matter entirely.

They have lost very experienced hard head leaders in Thaiday, Sims and McGuire this year and when the going gets tough you want to be able to stand under the goal-posts and have a tough nut tell you some home truths and then to lead the way. Who does that now for them?

The way Felise terrorised them last night and the way Sims terrorised at Suncorp in September last year just has me thinking about them. I remember a young Lance Thompson commenting about the impact Craig Smith had on the Dragons pack back in 1999 when he arrived. Thompson said they were scared of Smith and that you understood that you did as you were told. Neville Costigan had a similar impact (alongside Beau Scott) back in 2009-10. You understood there were mongrels in the pack.

Of course I am eating a large humble pie if they go on and win the comp......but? Now I'm ducking for cover!!!!!!!!
You ask a fair question and present a good analysis.
I think it will take a few games to understand where they are at.
Last night they played the Storm who are still a very disciplined and tough side, who just won the first game of the season for the 17th year in succession, so a tough ask for the Broncos at the best of times.
I think the Broncos forwards best will only come off the back of their attack and that is totally dependant on their halves which are questionable.

jeffdragon

Bench
I don't think they or Newcastle will do as well as people think.
I am more worried about us and how we go with the job issue.

possm

Coach
You ask a fair question and present a good analysis.
I think it will take a few games to understand where they are at.
Last night they played the Storm who are still a very disciplined and tough side, who just won the first game of the season for the 17th year in succession, so a tough ask for the Broncos at the best of times.
I think the Broncos forwards best will only come off the back of their attack and that is totally dependant on their halves which are questionable.

I'd say the forwards are good but the halves are not up to it at this time; maybe they'll get there.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Felise ran at backs .. he was very wide at times ... Friz never runs those lines ... Sims does though - probably why he is so effective on the edge.

Their forwards were pretty good to hang on for as long as they did.

I think you may have a point on losing a few players but with Lodge/Glen/Gillett there is still some strength/expreience. If they need some more they can have latimore.

I think though knowing how Seibold coaches that Robson may be a target for them.

possm

Coach
Felise ran at backs .. he was very wide at times ... Friz never runs those lines ... Sims does though - probably why he is so effective on the edge.

Their forwards were pretty good to hang on for as long as they did.

I think you may have a point on losing a few players but with Lodge/Glen/Gillett there is still some strength/expreience. If they need some more they can have latimore.

I think though knowing how Seibold coaches that Robson may be a target for them.

Lodge looks like he will be out on two weeks suspension.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Saints flogged them in the finals, the only guy that played hard for the Bronco's was Sims and he is now at the Dragons.

SBD82

Coach

I’m struggling to wrap my head around their pack. So many variables.

There is obvious talent in Sua, Fifita and TPJ. But a forward pack is a strange beast. As you’ve alluded to, it is much more than the sum of its parts.

Most forward packs do well with one, or max two, youngsters coming through, who can learn their job while the older hard heads lead the way. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a maximum of 2 of their young forwards reach their potential, with others either going back to reserves or to other clubs.

And I think you’ve got the nail on the head with what is missing. An old hard head would be incredible for them: a James graham style player.

kit66

Bench
They were soft last night, rarely stopping the Storm players at the line. The Storms post contact metres were huge in the first half while the Broncs barely made it out of their own end without a penalty or error to help them. No Sammy Pieday or McGuire to add a bit of grit ( if not intimidation ).
Combined that with a useless halves pairing they'll be lucky to make the 8.

PS. If you work for Channel 9 ignore this post. The Broncos are great.

Frank Facer

First Grade
With all players available, I think Seibold should be picking

13 Pangai
12 Gillett
11 Fifita
10 Ofanengaue
9 McCullough
8 Lodge

14 Hass
15 Sua

hewi

Bench
I’ll wait till next week to pass judgement on their forwards, however I believe that the Storm havnt lost an opening season game since 2001. How good were they? How good is Bellamy? How good would we be if he coached us? This bloke can turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

kit66

Bench
I’ll wait till next week to pass judgement on their forwards, however I believe that the Storm havnt lost an opening season game since 2001. How good were they? How good is Bellamy? How good would we be if he coached us? This bloke can turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

Storm were very good but still below par I thought. Their forwards worked so hard only to have their halves squander so many opportunities. Also amazing was Storms lack of wrestle last night, probably because they were doing OK without it, I'm sure it will return as soon as a team pressures their defence.

Belta

Juniors
I don’t think so. Having said that media, being media jump on any idea and hype it up and theyve certainly done that with these youngsters, but the reality is sometimes the youngsters are not as clinical as experienced players (just ask Mary)

I don’t think they’re a concern for the broncs, IMO blind Freddy can see their future is very promising and as far as this year goes they’ll be there come finals.

The difference was also the Smith factor, love or hate him he is still one of the best players running around, Munster outplayed the broncos halves.
Felusi was the best player in Origin and recent tests so no surprises with his performance, Nelson Asofa-Solomona is a monster and there depth players are always quality.

Rest assured both will be tough opponents for us

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We beat them in rd1 last year, soft maybe but watch them warm into the season with there coach.
Meanwhile at the Dragons its just power until the lights go out.

gitano

Juniors
Games aren't won on paper.

Forget Rugby League, Australian sport as a whole is littered with kids who have been told nothing but how good they are.

Cricketers have gone from being hardened shield players who earn their spot to entitled, sheltered prima donnas who aren't there mentally or physically.

The NRL is no different. Games aren't won on how much you weigh or how much you bench, however desperate so many fans are for that to be the case. They are won on turning up with a decent attitude every single day.

I do not for one second believe the hype.
They have to prove themselves each week, just like everyone else.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Games aren't won on paper.

Forget Rugby League, Australian sport as a whole is littered with kids who have been told nothing but how good they are.

Cricketers have gone from being hardened shield players who earn their spot to entitled, sheltered prima donnas who aren't there mentally or physically.

The NRL is no different. Games aren't won on how much you weigh or how much you bench, however desperate so many fans are for that to be the case. They are won on turning up with a decent attitude every single day.

I do not for one second believe the hype.
They have to prove themselves each week, just like everyone else.
If they can hang on Pangai, Haas, Ofahengaue, Fifita and Lodge, they will have the best pack in the comp in 2 to 3 years time.

The hype is warranted.

Latest posts