What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any current Japanese rugby league players?

FootyMomentsHD

Juniors
If anyone knows any Japanese players in the NRL, Super League, KPC, ISP, KPC1 or NYC

I know only of one, Gehamat Shibasaki, who plays for the Broncos in the NYC.
Please get back to me ASAP,
Thanks

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Craig Wing played for Japan in Union, but he's ethnically Filipino.

Salesi Funaki has some Japanese heritage, but I think it's a few generations back

FootyMomentsHD

Juniors
Craig Wing played for Japan in Union, but he's ethnically Filipino.

Salesi Funaki has some Japanese heritage, but I think it's a few generations back
Yep his name does suggest that, i think Japanese pearlers who settled in Australia are the reason for this players heritage, same with Shibasaki, who is also a player for the Bronx in the NYC.
Thanks for the Reply

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Yep his name does suggest that, i think Japanese pearlers who settled in Australia are the reason for this players heritage, same with Shibasaki, who is also a player for the Bronx in the NYC.
Thanks for the Reply
All good mate, I'm very interested in players of Asian heritage as I think that's potentially a major growth area for rugby league.

Roughly 1/2 of Samoans have either Japanese or Chinese heritage, so I dare say there'd be a few more we aren't aware of too

Emu01

Juniors
If anyone knows any Japanese players in the NRL, Super League, KPC, ISP, KPC1 or NYC

I know only of one, Gehamat Shibasaki, who plays for the Broncos in the NYC.
Please get back to me ASAP,
Thanks

What about Kodi Nickorima is he Japanese he has a brother as well.

All good mate, I'm very interested in players of Asian heritage as I think that's potentially a major growth area for rugby league.

Roughly 1/2 of Samoans have either Japanese or Chinese heritage, so I dare say there'd be a few more we aren't aware of too

Andrew Everingham of Souths fame is filo. Don’t know what he is doing these days

latingringo101

Juniors
If you go to Facebook pages like ASEAN Rugby League, Mediterranean Rugby league and Ethnic RL they specifically identify Asia/Middle East RL players in Oz and NZ.

We (Latin Heat) have played against all 3 sides in Sydney with most players being Top A grade or NSW cup standard.

FootyMomentsHD

Juniors
If you go to Facebook pages like ASEAN Rugby League, Mediterranean Rugby league and Ethnic RL they specifically identify Asia/Middle East RL players in Oz and NZ.

We (Latin Heat) have played against all 3 sides in Sydney with most players being Top A grade or NSW cup standard.
Wow thanks mate, ill be sure to check this out.

FootyMomentsHD

Juniors

Yeah im aware of quite a few Chinese nrl and super league players but not as many Japanese, good point though