What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we playing finals in 2021?

Yosh

Coach
Hopefully without Klemmer and Dan, our best metre eaters, we might decide to actually attack instead of trying gain field position all the time.

Apey

Staff member
We can make it even if we lose both and it doesn't exactly require crazy results. Sharks ain't beating Storm in Rd25 and Raiders need to beat Roosters in R25. Titans will probably make it.

We'll lose to Titans and beat Broncos though imo.

NewySteel

Juniors
We can make it even if we lose both and it doesn't exactly require crazy results. Sharks ain't beating Storm in Rd25 and Raiders need to beat Roosters in R25. Titans will probably make it.

We'll lose to Titans and beat Broncos though imo.
Yep, our last two games are mostly just jostling for 7th rather than 8th. Still pretty vital though I reckon, I think everyone would rather the eels than manly/easts in week 1

Yosh

Coach
I know we are winning. We won the past 6 of 8 but does it feel like we're still losing? Our attack is soil draining. There is no excitement in the way we play. It's good we are winning. I'm very happy with that, I am really. However, our attack is disgusting....

Our defense has remarkably improved since Seibold took over. I have no doubt that if we had scored more points every game, our defense would have less pressure and be even better.

Why is our attack so bad? We literally have the most attacking player in the game in Ponga but he plays like David Seage at the moment. Defuse bombs okay but is a dead weight in attack. What is going on?

Just wanted to rant as well as hear everyone's opinion on the matter. I personally think we should target an attacking coach before the end of the year.

Jono078

Referee
I know some put it down to the injuries and our key players not having that crucial time together to build, but what I see goes beyond that, I believe.

Why is Ponga very average right now? Is he banged up, is his mind not on the job?

It's very clear we have a poor structure and style of play. We are built to win the comp two years ago and we haven't adapted to new age footy.

Backs are super important these days for kick returns and strong runs out of your own end to take pressure off the forwards. Just imagine how good our forward pack would be if the backs had even above-average kick returns!

For whatever reason we have forgotten the art of drawing in a defender before passing - like shit, this used to be Ponga's specialty on the left-hand side!

It feels like we're losing because it's been shit opposition and we've barely gotten the pass mark, which is the 2 competition points.

An attacking coach is high on the agenda for the off-season. I don't know the full extent of Willie Peters involvement but he was an ordinary player and appears to be an ordinary assistant coach too. Joey Johns or Cooper Cronk would be my targets. Their knowledge is ridiculous from executing plays to reading defense and knowing what works in the modern game.

Looks like I needed the rant too @Yosh !

Zoidberg

First Grade
It feels like we are holding back in attack. Unless we have injuries keeping players (Ponga, Best) playing to their fullest, I have no idea why we would be.
As has been mentioned, the Canberra game our attack seemed to be getting right. Since then we have struggled, and since then Pearce has been back in the team. Coincidence? Or does he mess up our attack somehow?

mozza91

Coach
Surely we’re not blaming Pearce again? Remember how we played when he wasn’t there earlier this year?

Spot On

Coach
From the above posts…

300 plus game career and Pearce has never been known for his attack. Someone said having Clifford would free him up to unleash his running game??? He generally runs at the wrong times and rarely threatens the defence. I don't think O'Brien can do anything to improve Pearce. He is what he is. That said, Clifford has helped improve this side a lot.

Andrew Johns, for all the work he has done with teams and individual players, does not seem to be able to improve players. Mitchell Moses a case in point.

O’Brien has spent an enormous amount of time working in the best ‘system’ in rugby league (the world over), working alongside THE greatest coach of all time and coaching the best players we’ve seen over the past 20 yrs while he worked in Melbourne.

I’m not sure what his strengths are as a coach but it looks like attack is not one of them.

Craig Bellamy has turned Jerome Hughes from a back up fullback into one of the games best halfbacks inside of 2 yrs. He shits on what Pearce brings to our side.

I was hoping O’Brien may have picked up some of what Bellamy has. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Firstly on winning 6 of 8 and still feel like loosing, yes that’s us. We have struggled with every win and that has mostly been lower placed sides. You win 6/8 you expect some excitement with some big scoring, winning by 20 plus and talking about brilliant plays but it’s not happening even when we win we are complaining, justly, about how bad the team/individuals went therefor it leaves you feeling like a loss.

Old dog

Juniors
Secondly, on replacing Peters with the likes of Johns. Yes our attack is poor but replacing Peters with a superstar doesn’t necessarily equate to success. Bellamy is in line to be claimed master coach but he was a sometime first grader with Raiders. Don’t think we have many, probably Stuart, Desi and Barnett, currently coaching who were top line first graders and that has been the case for a number of years. Being a super player does not equate to a super coach

Zoidberg

First Grade

Surely we’re not blaming Pearce again? Remember how we played when he wasn’t there earlier this year?
I’m not blaming him just pointing it out.
I do like Pearce and we seem worse without him, but the ball gets to Ponga more because he takes the leadership.
They all need to learn to play together.

mozza91

Coach
I’m not blaming him just pointing it out.
I do like Pearce and we seem worse without him, but the ball gets to Ponga more because he takes the leadership.
They all need to learn to play together.
I’ve been waiting for the attack to click like it did against the Cowboys a few months back. Fingers crossed it’s tonight.

I’ve been waiting for the attack to click like it did against the Cowboys a few months back. Fingers crossed it’s tonight.
My son has recently discovered Kayo and loves watching previous rounds Knights games

He had this one on the other day and i sat and watched most of it with him. Jeez the boys really clicked in that game and looked slick. I know it was near the start of the Cowbys slide but everything was just running like a machine

Maybe being away from home isnt working for our boys?

That's such a cop out when almost all the other teams are away from home

They are but its not a cop out

Some clubs and some players are better at handling such things than others. Thats a fact whether its footy teams, FIFO workers or military personnel. I dont think its fair to dismiss it so easily

Jono078

Referee
Making excuses for them doesn’t project us forward as a club.

The top teams haven’t been affected? Why? Because as a club they’ve got a goal they set out to achieve and it’s within grasp so they are tighter and more focused than ever.

That is the expectation.

yes it may be tough but you never make excuses.

Yosh

Coach
Since we have pretty much wrapped up a top 8 spot, I would love to see us win a game 38-34 for once. I would even prefer a loss 34-38 than see a repeat of last week.

Burwood

Bench
But we haven't wrapped up a finals spot. Give me a win exactly the same as last week. Let's just get any sort of win we can.