What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we the victims of a forward pass conspiracy?!?

oldmancraigy

Coach
First up: we were slaughtered last night. St Geo/ Illawarra were fantastic and look right on track to win their first ever premiership. This thread is not sour grapes - quite frankly we were lucky to only get smashed by 30 - could've been much worse.

This thread is about the brouhaha that was made after our game winning forward pass against Manly --> the fallout seems to be that the Eels get called for plenty of forward passes, even ones that everyone else gets away with.

I just want to draw attention to 2 tries last night from the South Coast boys - their first and second tries.

Here are pictures for the first try:
I apologise for the terrible picture quality (blame Bigpond).

Morris passes:
MorristoHornby.jpg

Hornby receives:
catch.jpg

If you watched the footage, Hayne turns straight to the touchie and says "forward pass" - clearly it is thrown right on the 20m line, and caught about on the 18m line.

The footage of the second one is even worse - but you'll recall in commentary the fuss that was being made over it being forward (passed 34m out and caught 31m out).

Then later in the game Tahu passes from the 30m line to Burt, who catches it at the 30.5m mark - PENALTY for intentional forward pass.

Let me just qualify my position here: The Hornby try was just a poor piece of skill from Morris to deliver the inside ball (2m forward), the try had been conceeded by a terrible bit of defence from Parra. Had the pass gone backwards, then Hornby scores anyway. [this is exactly the same as the Reddy try vs Manly - try had been laid on]. I am NOT whinging about the result vs the Dragons (or even the scoreline) - just using it as an example of something that I've been noticing quite a bit.

It seems like Parra has been called up for more forward passes since that Manly game then I've seen called on any one particular team in an entire season.
It's like we're the only team in the comp not allowed to pass it forward from dummy half to a rampaging forward. Are we being targetted in the forward pass department since that game?

IFR33K

Coach
What about the nightingale try. I think it was the last try, and the pass may of come from Matt Prior.

Nightingale was clearly standing in front of Prior, when the pass was thrown, and the ball came straight to his feet.

I would definatly like to see the video ref being able to adjudicate on the blatant forward passes. If its obviously a forward then pull it up. If not obvious, then BOTD try.

Surely there is some technology out there, that could assist in determining a forward pass.

oldmancraigy

Coach
What about the nightingale try. I think it was the last try, and the pass may of come from Matt Prior.

Nightingale was clearly standing in front of Prior, when the pass was thrown, and the ball came straight to his feet.

I would definatly like to see the video ref being able to adjudicate on the blatant forward passes. If its obviously a forward then pull it up. If not obvious, then BOTD try.

Surely there is some technology out there, that could assist in determining a forward pass.

Prior MAY have kicked that forward and not just passed it forward? But if he did, then the rule is that the player must be completely behind the man kicking the ball - I wonder where Nightengale was in relation to that?

Again - we got flogged, we sucked, but the forward pass thing is irritating (that we get called so often since Dessy's whinge)

Stagger eel

Staff member
I want to also reiterate that I except that we were well beaten by a better side on the night however that second try freaked me out no end, I remember saying to Jess, Hells and Rowdy that I believe we were being punished after the Manly game..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Prior MAY have kicked that forward and not just passed it forward? But if he did, then the rule is that the player must be completely behind the man kicking the ball - I wonder where Nightengale was in relation to that?

Again - we got flogged, we sucked, but the forward pass thing is irritating (that we get called so often since Dessy's whinge)

he clearly kicked the ball and Nightingale was standing infront of him...

Forty20

First Grade
I want to also reiterate that I except that we were well beaten by a better side on the night however that second try freaked me out no end, I remember saying to Jess, Hells and Rowdy that I believe we were being punished after the Manly game..

Boyd's pass was ridiculously forwards, to a degree of 4 or 5m. While we are by far still our own worst enemy, the refs aren't doing us any favours by not calling crap like that and letting teams lie all over us in the ruck.

You would hope that the 50/50 calls against Melbourne will hopefully favour us all things considering...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We have definately paid for the Manly win big time, but it didn't matter last night we were sh*t plain and simple.

he clearly kicked the ball and Nightingale was standing infront of him...
Looked to be marginally offside in that one but really we had already switched off and were thinking about next week by then.
We were well beaten.
didn't have a full squad and had a real dig in the 1st half but the 2nd was lacking in attitude.
That would be the worst Inu has ever played and it seems his head is elsewhere.
At least Mateo had a dig he seems more switched on now his decision is made where as Inu is the opposite.

strider

Post Whore
the first one may just be the whole momentum thing carrying forward .... the boyd one was forward, but i was mor pissed with our lame RHS defensive inadequacies at the time to blow up about it .... the prior-nightingale one - i too thought he was infront of prior, but they eventually showed a side on replay that showed he wasn't

I must say, i was quite pissed that we got pinged for an intentional forward pass - I mean when was the last time that penalty was given? I can't remember ... Tahu must have f'n eyes in the back of his head to have spotted burt a step ahead of him and thrown it "intentionally" to him - i mean technically, yes, its offside - BUT they NEVER call them a penalty these days - it was a joke

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
forward passes have been legal for years now, you just have to accept it

SCoops

Juniors
I like the Tahu forward pass to Burt.

Burt's reaction was priceless. The look on Bert's face just cracked me up.
As if to say "you have to be kidding".....

Cheers
Coops

Forty20

First Grade
The other thing that is causing some significant concern for me at least is the fact that commentators (both Fox and 9) are simply overlooking the tragically comical errors in judgement that the referees are making.

This doesn't simply pertain to forward passes but all manner of calls including offsides, knock-ons and ruck infringements (and the non-calls are just as bad).

Either they are all brain dead morons (which when you think about it, isn't that unlikey) or someone well up the hierarchy has tapped them on the shoulder and told them not to call a clean broadcast

The standard of reffing is already atrocious and with some of the games more pre-emminent figures not calling them out and holding them accountable on national television it isn't going to get better any time soon.

btaag

Juniors
To answer the title of this thread - yes. I would have given Manly the win for the first game rather than be punished like we have with forward passes the opposition have gotten away with and the line-ball ones we have had pulled-up (noting the Tahu debacle was obviously forward, as Burty rightly showed us with his reaction).

Bigfella

Coach
If all there tries had been disallowed we wouldn't have bettered the two points they got for the penalty ...

Hellsy

Immortal
Here is a question to the NRL...

WHY CAN'T OUR VIDEO REFS RULE ON FORWARD PASSES????????????????
They can rule on EVERYTHING ELSE.

Seriously, it needs to be put to them as a rule change for 2011 to avoid all team's winning games from missed FP's. I can handle them being missed here and there in regular play, but when tries are scored it is just ridiculous that they have no say

Hellsy

Immortal
Um... that is why I'm saying all teams... we clearly didn't loose through FP's leading to tries last night

forward pass

Coach
Honestly officer - there has been no conspiracy attempt on my part.

I deny all allegations, and can confirm that any conspiracy attempt is news to me.