What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARL is destroying the international game.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's very simple.

SoO Should be about which state developed you and shouldn't disqualify you from not representing another test nation.

K.Hunt is a product of the QRL but is clearly a Kiwi. He should have the opportunity to play for both.

Pantherjim.

Referee
t-ba the hutt said:
It's very simple.

SoO Should be about which state developed you and shouldn't disqualify you from not representing another test nation.

K.Hunt is a product of the QRL but is clearly a Kiwi. He should have the opportunity to play for both.

I'm affraid I have to disagree.

Tony Puletua is a Penrith/N.S.W. junior product, yet, he is a Kiwi. (Has been in Oz since he was 12) So if you're saying Hunt should be selected for the Maroons based on his QRL upbringing, why is it that one of the best 2nd Rowers in the game (Big "T") can't play for the Blues? - Simple; because he's a Kiwi citizen.

You can't and shouldn't make allowances for one player (Hunt) when others have to live by the rules (Big "T")

Thus, from my point of view, it's even more simple: Renounce your Kiwi/Pommie citizenship and swear an oath of allegiance to Australia, or keep renewing your visa and don't play Origin. ;-)

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

TigerMo

Juniors
Talented, But thinks his bigger and too good for NZ Rugby League.

The ARL should say to him "You play for your home team or f**k off!"

But they don't want to do what's best for the International Game and turn away Kiwis playing for Australia. Selfish merkins.

Pantherjim.

Referee
TigerMo said:
Talented, But thinks his bigger and too good for NZ Rugby League.

The ARL should say to him "You play for your home team or f**k off!"

But they don't want to do what's best for the International Game and turn away Kiwis playing for Australia. Selfish merkins.

I think that's a bit harsh, but at the same time I think Hunt has to choose between Queensland and N.Z. He can't have it both ways. Either he stays a Kiwi and plays for the Broncos and N.Z. or he becomes an Oz citizen and plays for the Broncos, the Maroons and Australia. The choice should be his, all I'm asking for is that he plays by the rules.

If you're going to play for a State representitive side then you should at least be a citizen of Australia. You can say all you like about "Not mixing politics with sport" but how can you seriously play with passion for the State of Queensland, when you have no passion for the country which Queensland is a part of? :roll: And State of Origin is all about passion and pride!

I'm sick of these players who want to have their cake and eat it to! Get naturalised or don't play Origin. Simple.

I.M.O. foreign nationals in Australia, who have lived in this country > 10 years and continously apply for working visas/residency, should be forced to apply for Oz citizenship, or forced to go home. But that's another issue entirely.

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

Bengal

Juniors
Pantherjim. said:
t-ba the hutt said:
It's very simple.

I'm affraid I have to disagree.

Tony Puletua is a Penrith/N.S.W. junior product, yet, he is a Kiwi. (Has been in Oz since he was 12) So if you're saying Hunt should be selected for the Maroons based on his QRL upbringing, why is it that one of the best 2nd Rowers in the game (Big "T") can't play for the Blues? - Simple; because he's a Kiwi citizen.

Do what's best for the game, leave the cit

You can't and shouldn't make allowances for one player (Hunt) when others have to live by the rules (Big "T")

Thus, from my point of view, it's even more simple: Renounce your Kiwi/Pommie citizenship and swear an oath of allegiance to Australia, or keep renewing your visa and don't play Origin. ;-)

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

It’s simple, we need to do what’s best for the game; leave the citizenship debate to the pollies.

Matt M

Juniors
t-ba the hutt said:
It's very simple.

Thats one of the hardest points to discuss. SOO selection is based on where you played your football, test matches are based on where you are from as a person. So you can see why some people see that you should be able to represent NSW/QLD and your country.

In my opinion we need rules that are more closely linked so we don't get these stupid situations.

ali

Bench
t-ba the hutt said:
It's very simple.

I agree 100%. Playing Origin should not stop you representing other countries, if you so derise. I'm all for any player who has spent some time growing up in Australia, such as Hunt, Puletua, Neville Costigan, the Cayless's etc, playing Origin. Then let them go back so their countries of their heritage for internationals. Origin is our all stars game, so why not involve as many of the best players as possible. What happens if WA's Jon Green or Matt Peterson become good enough for Origin?

I'm not for including 100% born and bread kiwis in Origin, but any player who has spent some time growing in Australia. This would rule out the likes of Marshall and Sonny Bill who moved to Australia solely for football purposes.

The rules need to be changed for the sake of International footy. Karmichael Hunt is such a good player, he could maker International footy exciting for the next decade, if he commits to the Kiwis.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Chicken_Hunter said:
Why is it that toni carrol can play for NZ and for QLD and hunt cant?
Tonie Carroll was told that if he ever wanted to play for Queensland again he had to reliquish his Kiwi jersey. He subsequently withdrew himself from availability for the Kiwis.
Craqig Smith was also told he would never play Origin again after he represented NZ.

Cupid Stunt

I'm with Jim, no Aussie passport no SOO. If that ment a herd of Kiwis suddenly adopted the Green & Gold then so be it, you cant blame the ARL/NRL for that. And more importantly it draws a clear & concise line in the sand that cant be confused.

The idea of a North V South SOO in NZ is a great idea. Are the right people in place over there that could get this done?

In-goal

Bench
RL is massive in Auckland and almost non exsistent on the SI, although an Auckland vs the Rest could work.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
In-goal said:
RL is massive in Auckland and almost non exsistent on the SI, although an Auckland vs the Rest could work.
Totally true. Even Auckland vs The Rest the Rest would struggle. Thw Warriors are still the Auckland Warriors in all but name.
People suggesting that an NZ Origin series would rival SOO obviously don't know much about NZ. A better move would be to have the winner of SOO play an NZ origin side after SOO finishes. That way kiwis get to play at true origin level iwthout having to jump ship.

carlnz

Bench
Why not let Sate of Origin players be allowed to be born from another country, as long as they play for a club in that region or have lived in that state for two years....wouldnt it be great to see Sonny and Benji playing state of O?

What was up with Adrian LAm playing then and Lotote who played for Fiji in 200 then state of O after that?!?!?!?

Double Standards!

Hold on....

State Of Origin is an Australian rep game. Its ours!

If the Kiwi's want to play Origin....TOUGH!

Its bad enough that QLD have crapped all over the eligibility rules, the last thing we need is ever tom, dick and harry heading to Australia to play an Origin game.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
nospam49 said:
Its been proven that the ARL and QLD will brush aisde any rules as long as their get a better side togeather.

Brad Thorn, Criag Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Karmichael Hunt, Loet Tuqiri, Petero Civoneceva......

Like NSW hasn't done it :roll:

Kite, Hoppoate, El Masri, McGuiness, Morley (since you put Hunt in the list)

nospam49 said:
We need a true governing body and some REAL rules.

OMG its taken you over 900 posts but you have finally posted a line that has purpose and no hidden agenda behind it - well said boy 8)

nospam49 said:
When I see an Australian badged team fillied with Kiwi's and Islanders....Im less likley to support them.

Have you yet seen that happen ????? So how would you know you would feel that way ????

Please define how you a person should become eligable to represent this country of ours

LF did you support eveyone who represented Australia at the Olympics ?????

You should support your country no matter who has been selected and no matter what denomination he/she is from!!!

Iafeta

Referee
taxidriver said:
The road was paved by yawnion (look at all the islanders playing for the all blacks and the wallabies have Somo and Rathbone).

Its a shame, because there are I believe 3 non-New Zealand born players in the All Blacks, all of which were living in New Zealand under the age of 5.

There's about more than a handful of New Zealand born players playing for Pacific Island countries.

Two bob each way?

freeridermx

Juniors
our game has become a joke people play for everyone and anyone this is f**ked can we please get some rules for this its a joke and its getting worse every year.
state of origin is bout your origin not i where you moved to . it where you are born and thats al it should be not all this other crap.

girvie

Staff member
The Dally M awards was the first time i'd heard Hunt's voice, and if someone with that Kiwi accent plays for the Kangaroos it will be a discrace. Hunt said it was his main goal to play state of origin and by playing for the Kiwis that would shatter his dream. But state of origin should be for aussies and Hunt doesnt qualify in my book.

dimitri

First Grade
i agree

if you have a nz accent

you are a nz'er

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

play for your country you traitor

you are not only letting down your country but your family as well

Latest posts