What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the grounds.....

chileman

Coach
By Steve Mascord and Brad Walter
June 3 2003

NEWCASTLE

Steve Simpson is only a rough chance to be fit for Origin III after tests yesterday revealed he had suffered a torn kidney in Sunday's win over Brisbane. Simpson is thought to have been favoured for a Blues starting berth but, after being ruled out for four to six weeks, is at long odds to play any part in the series. Robbie O'Davis (knee) is some possibility of playing on Friday week against St George Illawarra despite withdrawing from the Queensland side.

BRISBANE

Gorden Tallis is expecting a more intimidating atmosphere for Origin I than the one that greeted Newcastle at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday. "I think people just came out to have a good day and celebrate the day," said Tallis. "For Origin, I think they've just got a few more XXXXs under their belts. The boys have a day off, the Caxton [Hotel] rolls on, the Paddo Tavern rolls on and they just sort of stumble down."

BULLDOGS

advertisement

advertisement

Willie Talau (knee) is tonight expected to be named in Steve Folkes's side to take on the Roosters this Friday after a long stint on the sidelines.

CANBERRA

Centre Adam Mogg (ankle) is likely to be named in an extended Raiders squad for Saturday night's game against Parramatta and will have to prove his fitness later in the week.

CRONULLA

Jason Stevens underwent minor knee surgery yesterday but Sharks football manager Greg Pierce said he was unaware of the club providing NSW management with a medical report. Nonetheless, Stevens would have been unable to train for most of this week, making it unlikely the Blues would have persevered with him. Stevens could be back for the round-14 encounter with Wests Tigers.

MANLY

Peter Sharp says he has plenty of injury worries going into Sunday's match against Wests Tigers - despite last weekend's bye. "There's still quite a few bumps and bruises," he said. "We'll name everyone and then see how they go."

MELBOURNE

Robbie Kearns described his NSW selection yesterday as a career highlight. "Six weeks ago I wasn't even named in the 30-man squad so to come back into contention is really pleasing," he said. "Even though I'm 31, I don't feel 31."

NORTH QUEENSLAND

A big crowd is expected for Saturday night's game against Penrith following the Cowboys' success against St George Illawarra on Sunday. "A lot of people have put in a lot of hard work," said Graham Murray. "Winning football games isn't rocket science."

PARRAMATTA

Alex Chan will have a plate inserted in his left arm after breaking it for the second time this season during last Saturday night's win over South Sydney. Eels medical staff are monitoring Michael Vella's abdominal-muscle injury.

PENRITH

The Panthers ended an eight-match losing streak at Dairy Farmers Stadium last year - on Saturday night they hope to complete a winning stretch of the same length.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Winger Amos Roberts will consult an orthopedic surgeon after X-rays yesterday revealed a fracture in his right shoulder. He'll most likely be out for the season.

SOUTH SYDNEY Goalkicking second-rower Justin Smith is out for two weeks with a medial-ligament tear.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS

Forward Chad Robinson was a late withdrawal from Sunday's win over Melbourne with an elbow injury but is expected to be fit for Friday night's rematch against the Bulldogs.

WARRIORS

After missing the cut last weekend, fiery prop Richard Villasanti (knee) is available for selection tonight as the Warriors prepare to host Cronulla on Saturday.

WESTS TIGERS

Major sponsors Radisson Maine have a meeting scheduled with the Department of Fair Trading but the club is unconcerned about the viability of its agreement with the property developers.

~bedsy~

First Grade
chileman said:
NEWCASTLE

Steve Simpson is only a rough chance to be fit for Origin III after tests yesterday revealed he had suffered a torn kidney in Sunday's win over Brisbane. Simpson is thought to have been favoured for a Blues starting berth but, after being ruled out for four to six weeks, is at long odds to play any part in the series. Robbie O'Davis (knee) is some possibility of playing on Friday week against St George Illawarra despite withdrawing from the Queensland side.
Oouucchh, I just thought it was bruised, poor Simmo is not having the best of luck this yr with injurys, neither is Robbie.

chileman

Coach
bedsy said:
Oouucchh, I just thought it was bruised, poor Simmo is not having the best of luck this yr with injurys, neither is Robbie.
I'd be surprised if Simpson plays any part in the Origin as the report says!

~bedsy~

First Grade
chileman said:
bedsy said:
I'd be surprised if Simpson plays any part in the Origin as the report says!
Yeah same I feel sorry for him cause he is a good player and puts a heap into his game.

legend

Coach
I like Steve Simpson which is saying a lot considering how much I loathe the Knights.

He's one of the only players from Newcastle that doesn't have that smug, my shit don't stink attitude.

Guys like Johns, Kennedy, O'Davis and Gidley have it by the truckload.

~bedsy~

First Grade
legend said:
I like Steve Simpson which is saying a lot considering how much I loathe the Knights.

He's one of the only players from Newcastle that doesn't have that smug, my s**t don't stink attitude.

You should put Mark Hughes and Danny Buderus in with Simmo, they are great guys Mark Hughes is good for a laugh. :D

Alan Shore

First Grade
legend said:

He's one of the only players from Newcastle that doesn't have that smug, my s**t don't stink attitude.

O'Drugs and Turnstile Gidley don't even deserve their spots.

legend

Coach
Bedsy, I forgot about Hughes. He seems an affable type of bloke. Too bad he plays for such a shitty team ;-)

~bedsy~

First Grade
legend said:
Bedsy, I forgot about Hughes. He seems an affable type of bloke. Too bad he plays for such a shitty team ;-)
:evil: :cry: ... Yeah I met him in Port Mac, he was funny and really nice. He said my drawings were fantastic :D

Latest posts