What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ash Taylor

possm

Coach
Ash Taylor is on a train and trial deal at the Warriors worth 1,000.00 per week. Although there is the feeling that we are well off for halves in 2022, to me it seems that we are actually light-on for halves; especially if we need to play Ben Hunt at 9.

So we have the possibility to play Hunt, Sullivan, or Mbye at 7 but I'd say Hunt would be much more value at 9 for the Dragons. He would add a front-line kicking game from dummy half and much more speed to the running game to our hooker position. His passing game and off-loads would add another dimension in the forwards.

With Hunt at 9, the logic then would be to select Sullivan at 7 with Mbye to cover off the bench. How does this look in terms of depth?

In Reserve grade we have no depth in the halves right now if we have:
9. Hunt
7. Sullivan
14. Mbye

Yes, Jack Bird could at a pinch fill the role at 14 but these days he is seen more as a lock to coach Griffin.

Taylor could be a very dynamic 7 if Griffin and his coaching staff are able to get him in a frame of mind and form to emulate his best form of a couple of seasons ago and his price right now is a real bargain. A one-year deal at 300k with an option in favour of the club would be just the incentive this talented young player would need to get back to his best.

At a minimum, Taylor would give us the depth at halfback that we need right now and facilitate the right competition for halfback position in our top 17. Below is an extract on Ash Taylor from Fox Sports:

Ash Taylor has been one of the most scrutinized figures in rugby league since he signed a mammoth three-year extension in 2017 with the Titans. Taylor received $3.2 million for his stay on the Gold Coast and has now made the move to the Warriors on a $1,000-per-week train and trial contract.

The 26-year-old was one of the game’s best young halves in 2016 and 2017, hence his huge contract. Wayne Bennett’s Broncos were circling and the Titans handed him the huge deal to keep him at the club. While Taylor has battled with the mental side of the game over the past two seasons, if he can recapture even half of his form that saw him land his huge contract, he will slot into the Warriors halves and play a big role for the team.

This deal has the potential to be the buy of the season and NRL fans across Australia and New Zealand will be backing Taylor in to find some form.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/c478d5f736d85ab5ec983bba70c926da

watatank

Coach
The guy is on a train and trial contact, I don't think we would have to offer 300k to get him here. Not even sure why we would want him anyway.

dungay dragon

Juniors
The guy is on a train and trial contact, I don't think we would have to offer 300k to get him here. Not even sure why we would want him anyway.
As much as there is a concerted push by most to get Hunt to 9 its not going to happen
Hunt is our Marquee signing and had his best season with us last year prior to injury
He was also our Player of the Year
McCullough is my biggest worry ..Slowed appreciably as the season progressed . Will need to start fast to ensure he keeps his spot , even though he appears to be one of the coaches Faves
Unless we fall in a heap early on Hook will remain steadfast and or pig headed and leave Hunt at 7 ...
Not in 100% agreeance but stating the obvious
Sullivan and Amone are multi talented juniors with bright futures , But Sullivan in particular , has played little or no footy in the past two seasons
The inclusion of Mbye as cover is proof that Hook will bring on Sullivan gradually throughout the season , if he stays ...or unless the wheels completely come off.............

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with the previous comments. We have signed too many border line hopefuls as it is without spending more money on yet another and consequently giving the wrong signal to Sullivan , Amone and Sloan and all our up and comers that the Dragons don’t care about their future .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Given up on Sullivan and Amone already? Geez, let 'em drop a ball or two in 2022 first before we look at Ash bloody Taylor.
I haven't given up on our young halves and have them in my round 1 team with Hunt at 9. But they are young and inexperienced at NRL level and so may not be able to play every game in season 2022.

When we look at it, Bird and Mbye are our 14s and because of this our reserve grade stock in the haves is very thin. So to me Taylor at the 300k per season makes sense on a one-year deal.

possm

Coach
I'd say Mbye will be cover for Sloan at fullback and may also be cover for Amone at five-eighth. However, I see him mostly wearing the number 14 jumper in season 2022. I have pasted a link to Mbye's profile below.

Jack Bird will mostly be used in the lock rotation with Jack De Belin in sean 2022.

So who are the Dragons halves for season 2022? Hunt, Amone, Sullivan, and who?

I still say the recruitment of Ash Taylor makes a lot of sense given we seem to be short in the halves and Taylor could be recruited at a very good price.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I'd say Mbye will be cover for Sloan at fullback and may also be cover for Amone at five-eighth. However, I see him mostly wearing the number 14 jumper in season 2022. I have pasted a link to Mbye's profile below.

Jack Bird will mostly be used in the lock rotation with Jack De Belin in sean 2022.

I still say the recruitment of Ash Taylor makes a lot of sense given we seem to be short in the halves and Taylor could be recruited at a very good price.

Can't you see that Sullivan would leave if we sign another half?

Juniors

Id hope Ramsay would be first in line to cover Sloane

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I doubt we would be talking with Ash Taylor, even after re-signing Bud.

With Hunt, Bud and Jr, we have the foundations in place. If there comes a necessity, then Mbye of even Bird can fill in, but that would only seem probable if we lost 2 of those mentioned.

As it stands, one of Bud or Jr would miss out and have to play KOE Cup, as I'm sure Mbye will wear the 14.

Also, we are still yet to know the players signed to the KOE Cup squad. Last season, they used Mociedreke, Foster and Pellow in the halves at different times. There are also the players who may have to move up from the JF competition. The halves in the JF last season were, Sam Hooper, Braxton Wallace, Zach Herring and Dantoray Lui (who has since moved clubs). I would say @George Dragon has superior knowledge on where these guys are at, and where they will be playing next year.