What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

JW

Coach
It's probably one of the better squads this moronic selection panel has picked to date, although they have established a fairly low base for themselves in that regard.

Out of that lot I have question marks over:

Eddie - Really needs to figure out a way to score more than 30.

HAH - If he plays and is found out the way he always has been against semi-decent pace bowling, mark his papers as never to play a Test again.

Wade - Simply shouldn't be there, even as the No. 2.

Watson - If he's not committed to being a bowling all-rounder then he's simply not good enough to be in the international setup. A clear burden on an already struggling team at the moment.

The rest I can cop.

unbreaK

Juniors
So judging by that squad you'd assume the first test team to be something along the lines of -

1) Cowan
2) Warner
3) Hughes
4) Clarke
5) Khawaja
6) Watson
7) Haddin
8) Siddle
9) Pattinson
10) Harris
11) Lyon

12) Starc

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No No Show is good.

I'd have Faulkner as the 6 and no Watson if he is not gonna bowl, Faulkners current form has been very good

Looks like Oozie,Rogers and Wade will be fighting for the no 5 but no doubt they will give it to Wade

Bird and Patto must play for mine, I guess Sids and Starc will be rotated

sorry, I meant informed player management

unbreaK

Juniors
No No Show is good.

I'd have Faulkner as the 6 and no Watson if he is not gonna bowl, Faulkners current form has been very good

Looks like Oozie,Rogers and Wade will be fighting for the no 5 but no doubt they will give it to Wade

Bird and Patto must play for mine, I guess Sids and Starc will be rotated

sorry, I meant informed player management

He's already started bowling again.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So judging by that squad you'd assume the first test team to be something along the lines of -

1) Cowan
2) Warner
3) Hughes
4) Clarke
5) Khawaja
6) Watson
7) Haddin
8) Siddle
9) Pattinson
10) Harris
11) Lyon

12) Starc
I'd be happy with that.

BCH

Juniors
Well the selectors have finally decided on adding some experience rather than the delusional "pick on potential" policies of the last couple of years.

No Johnson and Big Show are excellent omissions (although no brainers really).

Although I'm not a big fan of Smith he should consider himself unlucky - one of the few to show ticker in India. He is however a big question mark against the swinging ball (who isn't in OZ cricket at the moment though).

aussies1st

Staff member
Smith looks a decent shot of being added to the squad if he can get some runs for the A team, the side only has 1 backup batsmen.

Yeah , not a bad squad.

I think it shows we are now fully in a 'Horses for courses' strategy.

Johnson , Big show & smith I dont think were so much dropped , more they weren't deemed the right fit for England.

Henriques is a little hard done by for mine.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Tassie Tigers omitted from Ashes touring team
TASMANIANS Ben Hilfenhaus and George Bailey are the two most notable omissions from Australia's Ashes touring party, announced this morning.

See your ad here
Once-shunned wicketkeeper Brad Haddin has been named as vice captain of the tour, with Shane Watson included despite sending mixed messages about his commitment to Australian cricket.

Tasmanians Ed Cowan, James Faulkner and Jackson Bird were all named, along with former Tigers wicketkeeper Matthew Wade.

Australian cricket squad named on Wednesday for the Ashes tour to England starting in June:-

Michael Clarke (capt), Brad Haddin (vice-capt), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Chris Rogers, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Matthew Wade, James Faulkner, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris, Jackson Bird, Nathan Lyon.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/1454243/tassie-tigers-omitted-from-ashes-touring-team/?cs=88

I think Bailey is unlucky, as for Hilfy.....

Rogers is a serious puzzler though.

I know he's been playing well , but we're stacked for openers.

How many players get recalled at his age? he's basically a rookie at international level.

I would have preffered George Bailey.

Mr Saab

Referee
Simon Katich must be shaking his head. So much for "planning for the future" when they bring Haddin back to be VC.
Australia cricket is more or a rabble than Souffs of 2002-2006

Sphagnum

Coach
Bailey would have been a bad selection for India but a great one for the Ashes. Wasn't surprised he was left out of Indian squad due to his deficiencies against spin but he should be one of the first blokes picked for this tour.

Mind boggling.

vvvrulz

Coach
Bailey can consider himself unlucky, but at least some sense has prevailed and you won't have to put with with TBS.

aussies1st

Staff member
Bailey being left out wasn't a biggie, he had an average season and showed nothing in the last 4 matches in the Shield season including the final.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I happened to be watching the pressie, was interesting, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh were there.
The pommie jurno asked if that was the weakest squad ever sent to England.

Latest posts