What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

Timbo

Staff member
Geez Steve Smith is a bit unlucky.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rogers bats 3?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
oh ffs

we now have 5 openers and you say we have one back up

shutup

African Monkey

First Grade
Geez Steve Smith is a bit unlucky.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rogers bats 3?

He would have to wouldn't he? Either him or Warner.

If it were up to me then Hughes would miss out and I'd play Khawaja at 4 for the 1st test anyway but I doubt that'll happen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He would have to wouldn't he? Either him or Warner.

If it were up to me then Hughes would miss out and I'd play Khawaja at 4 for the 1st test anyway but I doubt that'll happen.

you should be a selector, but you're probably about 50 years too young

undertaker

Coach
Official Squad

Clarke
Haddin
Bird
Cowan
Faulkner
Harris
Hughes
Khawaja
Lyon
Pattinson
Rogers
Siddle
Starc
Wade
Warner
Watson

@CricketAus on Twitter

Finally, a squad without The Big Show or Johnson that shows CA are serious about winning the Ashes. Would've definitely cringed if Johnson got another crack.

Last edited:

African Monkey

First Grade
Clarke must bat at 4 minimum.

We can't continue to have our best batsmen come in so low.

4 or 5 it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Also, I don't get why people are saying that Rogers shouldn't be there. He's scored a sh*tload of domestic runs for many years and it's great to finally see someone get rewarded for it as a result.

unbreaK

Juniors
Yeah not sure why Rogers was chosen ahead of Bailey, as much as I was on the "Bailey is turrible" bandwagon about 12 months ago, after watching him in the ODI's and T20's, he's actually a solid player with good experience and leadership qualities, probably deserved a crack before Rogers.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What happened to CA and their youth policy? Haddin is 35 and so is Rogers
I think Clarke answered that.

"Any good sporting team has a blend of youth and experience"

My take is they do realise one thing missing in India was older experienced heads, they missed Hussey and Punter (what a shield season).

I think Clarke wants some old heads around him as the rest are kids.

Rogers may well do well @ 6 which is where I expect to see him, picked for England. Starc is a must for mine, English conditions suit.

India has scared Clarke, and I am certain he really wants horses for courses.

I personally would make Watson bat six, and tell him to help the tail, it is his job this series.

But we lack spin. It will hurt.

Timbo

Staff member
Won't hurt too badly in England. One of the main reasons I'm so puzzled about the lack of Smith is it means the option of playing 4 quicks isn't really there.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Smith's omission is a bit of a surprise.

I know our batting was poor in India and we need to find depth but Smith's spot was never in question as he showed alot of ability to learn quick.

I would have thought the other spots needed to be filled, so why drop an in form batsman ?

Listening to the fossil talk I think Rogers got his spot based more on his form in County Cricket rather than Austrian First Class Cricket.

Latest posts