What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask the RLEF boss a question!

langpark

First Grade
This was taken from the official RLEF FB page:

Starting from next week, we will be holding Monthly Question and Answer Forums where you can post your questions about the RLEF and the running of the game in Europe.

The first member of the RLEF to answer your questions will be Danny Kazandjian, RLEF General Manager.

Post your questions on this topic by Monday 10th June and Danny will answer them.
https://www.facebook.com/rlefed

So, Monday night, though they haven't specified a time, I assume would be somewhere between 8-10pm GMT... I assume he'll be answering people's questions live as they post.

Great idea I think...

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't have Facebook, can someone ask for clarification on the situation in Italy and why they would officially sanction the body that allegedly want to implement an unfair constitution?

deluded pom?

Coach
I don't do FB either. Can someone ask if the France v USA game allegedly pencilled in for Oct 18th at Toulouse will be going ahead.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I don't do FB either. Can someone ask if the France v USA game allegedly pencilled in for Oct 18th at Toulouse will be going ahead.

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/page/index.html/_/latest-news/france-to-host-usa-r50

France to host USA
Jun 04 2013 08:28 AM | League Express in Latest News

France will host the USA Tomahawks in a Rugby League World Cup warm-up match. The landmark game, which has been sanctioned by the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) and RLWC2013, will give both countries a final opportunity to tweak their World Cup squads ahead of the sport?s showpiece event. The match is scheduled to be played in Toulouse on October 18, and follows successful negotiations between Federation Francaise de Rugby a X111 and the American National Rugby League.
The contest will create history as it will mark the first time the USA and France have faced each other in a Rugby League match. It will also be the Tomahawks? fourth international hit-out in as many months as they prepare to make their Rugby League World Cup debut.
The USA is scheduled to play the Colonial Cup series against Canada this summer. The opening game will be in Toronto, Ontario on July 6, the second match to be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 24, with the teams returning to Toronto on September 21 for the series finale.
At that point, the USA national team coaching staff will whittle down the Tomahawks? Elite Player Pool to the 24-man squad for RLWC2013.
For two players likely to be on the Tomahawks? roster, France will be a return to familiar territory.
Mark Cantoni and Mark Offerdahl have both played in the French Elite 1 League - Cantoni with Pia, while Offerdahl has been at Carcassonne for the past two seasons.
Offerdahl has been playing alongside many Frenchmen who have represented Les Chanticleers and he?s expecting to see them again in their national team colours come October.
?I think they will be very competitive and a huge test for the Tomahawks,? said Offerdahl. ?The majority of their team are players from Super League with only a few from the domestic competition.?
His sentiments are echoed by Cantoni, who expects the French to be a force in front of their home crowd.
?A former team mate of mine at Pia, Clement Soubreyas, has made his way into the French team and won the Grand Final this year,? Cantoni added. ?I think the lead up match against the French will be vital to try and get some combinations going and prepare us for what to expect in the following pool games. Also it will be a great experience for the team and staff to play a Test match against France in France.?

roughyedspud

Coach
my question.....

where does the RLEF stand on 9s ?

personally i think a RLEF 9s tournament featuring all the RLEF member nations would be a great way to showcasing the development of the game throughout europe over the last decade...

Like others I'm not on facebook. Can someone ask him for me when they are going to get this rule sorted out about players playing for more than one country at senior level. Surely when you have played for one country at senior level you should not be allowed to switch to another country at a later date.

roughyedspud

Coach
i'll answer that for you........"its not us thats sets those rules...its the RLIF....though we agree with you"

thats pretty much a stock answer these days

langpark

First Grade
Danny Kazandjian has read your questions for the Q&A and has given the following answers:

Thanks to everyone for their questions.

Simon Wynn asked:

"where does the RLEF stand on 9s ?

personnally i think a RLEF 9s tournament featuring all the RLEF member nations would be a great way to showcasing the development of the game throughout europe over the last decade..."

The RLEF has no official position on 9s. Our strategic imperative is the cultivation of 13-a-side championship competitions. As is noted in the RLEF strategy, we believe that the development of clubs, club competitions and gradually longer seasons will nurture a RL culture in our member nations, with the sport being a part of more people’s daily lives, providing the environment for organic growth. Club competitions are the spine of any major sport and European RL is no different.

9s has a place and has been used well, locally, for example as a season opening or invitational event. As a federation, we have finite funds, as do our members, and we believe that (a) in terms of international events specifically, RLEF central investment is better focused on establishing a multi-tiered international structure that will promote long term planning and real meaning in as many internationals as possible; and (b) additional resources, both RLEF and certainly local, are better focused on coach / match official education to support longer and bigger club competitions.

We want more people playing rugby league for more of the time and while we’re not yet at the halfway stage of the eight-year strategy the signs are encouraging. In my view the return on investment for 9s competitions is limited, in terms of the long-term benefits to the local operation. We must maintain our current path and continue to develop our local competitions, referees, coaches and administrators so that participation reaches a level where RLEF members can receive government recognition and therefore state, regional and municipal funding. We need to set a foundation now that will enable generational change and a stronger future.

"Matt Bird asked:

Can someone ask for clarification on the situation in Italy and why they would officially sanction the body that allegedly want to implement an unfair constitution?"

I am certainly happy to clarify the Italian issue, as there is no shortage of information – some correct, some incorrect – being disseminated.

Firstly, to answer your question, Matt, directly: no, the RLEF would not sanction an unfair constitution. FIRL’s constitution is in no way unfair – so wise use of the word ‘allegedly’. It is in its ninth draft and is absolutely pluralistic and representative. At the FIRL extraordinary general assembly it will be debated further by all Representatives of the FIRL zones, who are elected by their own regional affiliates (all regional zones will have a constitution based on the FIRL articles) and be finally adopted as a tenth and final draft come the FIRL AGM a week or so later. What’s more, it has been submitted to CONI for the Italian Olympic Committee’s specific comment on local compliance, but I should add that FIRL, when drafting the initial document, based it largely on CONI specifications. If CONI come back with suggested amends, it will be up to FIRL to constitutionally call a further EGM and for CONI’s amends to be incorporated. In terms of governance, FIRL is in the best position it has ever been, and I am personally extremely happy with how the governing organisation has evolved over the last 18-months, positioning itself as an open and transparent national governing body equipped to deal with what is certain to be a phase of expansion in Italy, one of our key strategic markets in Europe.

Since the RLEF adopted its own new constitution in 2010, along with a new Board of Directors and a new strategy, governance has been at the very top of our agenda. We have received grant aid from the EU to further our governance protocols and all our members will attest to the assiduity with which the RLEF pursues its own and their governance practices. Governance must constantly be monitored and evaluated but the RLEF’s current practice is more robust and thorough than it has ever been, and that permeates throughout its members. The vast majority of schisms the sport has seen over the years can be put down to a marginalisation or neglect of governance best practice. If we improve governance at every level, schisms will no longer occur. The RLEF and its members are striving to build governing bodies that meet local standards so consequently our sport becomes a part of their national sporting landscape, and goes mainstream.

Finally, I must make it clear that all Italian clubs – those registered with FIRL and those not – have been invited on more than one occasion to enter the democratic process and help shape the specifics of the FIRL constitution. If some choose to pursue their own agenda and reject both the RLEF’s guarantee that their rights will be protected and the chance to shape the Italian RL constitution, one must question their judgment and commitment to rugby league’s global mission.

John Ryan asked:

"Considering the Pacific appears to have no interest in developing anything other than Australia, is the RLEF looking to have more involvement in the Atlantic situation?

If so, in a similar vein to the question above, what is the RLEF's view on the dual competition structure in the USA?"

The RLEF began in January 2003. The Asia-Pacific RL Confederation became an Associate Member of the RLIF in 2011. Rugby league, as a global sport, has seen tremendous advances in its participation and universality over the last few years and is finally coming to terms with the need to take its place in the international community of sports (the CGF recognition being a good example). More countries play than ever before and it is incumbent upon the sport’s leadership to create an environment that allows national governing bodies to flourish – more revenue, standardised education programmes, cogent competition structures, strong governance etc. The APRLC is developing its own internal methods, resources and operational structures but I can assure you that the systematic development of the region is paramount to the APRLC leadership, none more so than the ARLC and NZRL.

As for more RLEF involvement in the Atlantic, due to the rapid recent growth of the sport the RLEF has become something of a northern hemisphere governing body. The sport’s mission is to create more regional confederations but before we can do that we need to increase participation numbers, increase the number of countries and revenue in any one region, including the Atlantic. My personal view is that the game should move towards an Americas Confederation, as that mirrors CGF and SportAccord categorisation, and also encompasses our current regional North American and Caribbean operations, while allowing us scope to move into South America.

The RLEF’s view on the US situation is, I’m sure, like yours and most people’s: a desire that the two organisations can reach a compact and if they do not then the RLIF will be compelled to use its own regulations and articles to arrive at a satisfactory solution. World rugby league is, in the sport’s historical context, at an encouraging position and well placed to get much stronger in the next few years. Consequently, the RLIF is absolutely aware of the need to embrace emerging markets for the benefit of the global game, and we would all agree that the USA is just such a market.

And Christopher Sanders asked:

"And what's the RLEF doing in regards to growing and developing the game in Estonia,Latvia,Moldovia,Georgia,Russia,Tatarstan and Catalonia because Africa should be of no concern to the RLEF.And Canada are in good hands with Perez in charge and Australia should be looking after South Africa!And what has happened to Lebanon??And who's the Chief Development Officer for the Russian Rugby League Federation and why waste resources in Poland where the game is a bloody disgrace??"

As mentioned above, due to the expanding nature of the sport globally, the RLEF has become a de facto northern hemisphere governing body. I disagree with your statement that we should not concern ourselves with Africa. Where there are opportunities, through new multilateral partnerships, for the sport to expand, the RLEF will pursue them, especially, in light of our bid to achieve Commonwealth Games status, where those countries are from the Commonwealth. Currently, there are no opportunities in some of the countries (and territories) you mention and the RLEF does not have the resources to focus investment in countries where there’s no local foundation in place. In short, we need willing local partners.

A short word on Latvia. The Latvian RL is one of our longest serving Observers and I hope they will become an Affiliate Member soon. The RLEF has pledged to invest in them as the LRL has successfully participated in all our EU-funded programmes and is a stable organisation in terms of governance and local personnel.

Lebanon, the state, is undergoing some extremely difficult times, as I’m sure you know. A lot of my associates and friends there tell me times have never been so bad. Having said that, the local league and schools competition both continue and the government funding for the LRLF in 2012 was significant – triple the amount it has ever been. Moreover, their superb administrator, Remond Safi, is suffering from cancer and, all being well, is due to return to Lebanon in October. We can only hope the political situation calms down so the LRLF can continue to stimulate development in this incredibly important region.

The game has a dynamic governing body in the South African Rugby League leadership. Membership of the RLEF was their choice, but operationally and financially, it does not affect either SARL or the RLEF. SARL is entitled to utilise its full member status and voting rights at all the appropriate RLEF forums.

The RRLF does not exist anymore. Our member, the ARLK, which is the sole governing body for RL in Russia, is confident it has emerged from several years of instability (which, frankly, can be traced back over a decade) and can start planning constructively, led by a proactive board with the estimable Edgard Taturyan, a true rugby league man, as its president. The RLEF’s Eastern Europe Regional Director, Jovan Vujosevic, compiled an extremely far-reaching and thorough report on Russian RL to give the RLEF, I would say for the first time, a true understanding of the politics, personalities and obstacles that pervade the sport there.

Our two major projects are (a) obtain Full Membership of the RLIF which ensures annual grant funding, which will further stabilise the ARLK, and (b) restore the sport’s government status. This is something both the ARLK and RLEF have been working hard to achieve and we will not relent until we are successful. The Russian and South African governments’ current refusal to recognise RL’s independent and sovereign status are almost identical but how the RLIF and RLEF engage with those governments is very different due to those states’ different political systems.

I don’t agree with your comments on Poland. First, no resources have been wasted there, and secondly, the people involved are working hard on their own domestic plan, so labelling them or their efforts “a disgrace” is uncalled for.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Seems like a smart guy. I quite liked his responses. They seem well thought out and I loved his defense of Poland. Like a father defending their child - as it should be.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Thanks 'Matt Bird' for asking my question. It seems like the RLEF believe that the FIRL's constitution is fair, so it's just a matter of one group's word vs another's. I guess we'll see when the draft constitution comes back from CONI.

Bovrick

Juniors
Thanks 'Matt Bird' for asking my question. It seems like the RLEF believe that the FIRL's constitution is fair, so it's just a matter of one group's word vs another's. I guess we'll see when the draft constitution comes back from CONI.

Is there any way we can see for ourselves where the drafts are up to?

langpark

First Grade
A fresh lot of Q&A's have just been put up, some pretty interesting topics are raised...

Danny Kazandjian: Once again, thanks to everyone for their interesting questions.

Q: Des Foy: Will the RLEF ask the IRB to investigate the actions of the Moroccan rugby union which disrupted the GB pioneers visit to assist the development of RL in Morocco. And demand assurances from the IRB that such action will not be tolerated by them in future.

A: The RLIF has a sound professional relationship with the IRB, which has to date been cooperative when asked to clarify the clear distinction between rugby league and union to various governments. For example, it has written to South Africa’s SASCOC, which incorrectly claims that the IRB controls South African rugby league, to tell them that the RLIF controls RL; and the Russian sports ministry, whose official position is that the two sports are too similar to merit two federations (this is a legacy of tendentious ministry officials with a RU background).

We have requested similar letters for Morocco’s Minister Ouzzine and Ghana’s Minister Afrieh-Ankrah and we will request another letter for the Greek minister (after their governmental reshuffle is concluded, and when instructed to by our Greek affiliate). The Morocco situation is slightly different to South Africa because the MRU constitution erroneously states it controls RL – which clearly it does not internationally, but locally, the Moroccan sports ministry will be loathe to interfere in one of its members’ constitutions without good reason.

We will never cease pursuing recognition as it is our right, but it is a case of changing perceptions and constant lobbying, both domestically and internationally. RL must become a part of the sporting landscape in all the countries in which it’s played, and that means, among other things, government recognition.

Q: Brad Furhmann: What is the RLEF doing to promote games being played against very new national teams like Poland?

A: We encourage sovereignty and independence as much as possible, as we believe this will strengthen local administrations’ confidence and capacity to operate. This year, for example, Holland organised two RLIF-sanctioned international games independently, dealing with the opposing German and Belgian NGBs exclusively, and using the new RLIF match sanctioning protocols.

Poland and other new Continental nations have the advantage of joining a sport that has a wider spread of countries than a few years ago, so they are able to travel shorter distances and choose opposition that is at an appropriate level. Hungary is a good example of a new operation that has used geography well. I should point out, though, that our principal focus is on local development, of clubs, of schools, and of local technical leaders and administrators, as those are the indices of success. If nations wish to organise internationals they are to be encouraged to follow RLIF protocols, but they will do so independently, working closely with their RLEF opponent.

Q: Matthew Stansfield: Does the RLEF have plans, or hopes, to operate a competition for all European Nations similar to UEFA's Euro Competition? Perhaps held 2 years after every RLWC in the 4 Year cycle. A similar concept to the Superpool of RLWC08 may be needed to separate the smaller/younger Euro Rugby League Nations from the likes of the Home Nations & France, but I feel like this could work one day, even as soon as the next World Cup cycle following RLWC2013. High hopes & much praise for European Rugby League & the RLEF at any rate!

A: Thanks for the complimentary message. At our AGM on 23 August we will reveal a new 2014-21 international calendar for consultation amongst our members. Structurally, it will not be too drastic a departure from the fairly new framework we have in place now, but it will be more attuned to Continental European traditions and sensibilities, as we attempt to engage with European governments more and more.

Even if we remove money from the argument, UEFA has the advantage of a saturated player pool. I think holding a UEFA style championship (in one country) would be so expensive and not the best use of limited resources. What you are absolutely correct about is the need for stability and aspiration, and those are concepts that underpin the RLEF’s approach towards international competition. To embed a truly stable calendar, though, it’s important for the whole sport to introduce a calendar, because global competitions like the 4N include RLEF members whose participation in European or international competitions needs to be mapped out in advance as they affect the composition of competitions at the tiers below them.

The formation of the RLIF International Competitions Committee (I sit on that along with Scott Carter, the chair, Tas Baitieri of the APRLC, the RFL’s Niel Wood, and RLEF director Graeme Thompson) in 2012 is clear progress, but I can assure you that the RLEF is fully committed to a stable, transparent, long-term calendar that encourages forward planning. In my opinion, these competitions could also be utilised as RLWC qualifiers, further adding to their gravitas while saving the RLIF expense.

Q: Souhail Ait Alla: Did the RLEF donate and support Morocccan RL next year to the Mena championship in Dubai and what can the RLEF can do to help MRL to solve their problems with RU?

A: No, the RLEF has not offered and will not offer to support the FMRL to go to the MENA Championship. The FMRL is an Observer and knows it must work on building up its local activity before it can expect to receive any material support. This message, and the pathway towards funding, has been explained to the FMRL board very clearly, and they accept this.

The RLEF has supported FMRL in 2012 in three ways: firstly, by steering the GB Student Pioneers to tour Morocco; secondly, by funding a coaching course in April, conducted by the FFRXIII’s Thierry Dumaine; thirdly, by providing them with footballs. Their responsibility is to create a domestic club championship.

In 2012 the RLEF offered grant aid, for the first time, to Shield participants, due to the increased demands an enlarged competition placed upon them. The MENA Championship is a pseudo-official competition, one that we hope over time can become the primary regional international competition. It has already provided a stimulus to RL activity in the Middle East, with the Saudis, for example, using the various age category competitions as punctuations in their domestic activity. The Lebanese supported the Moroccans by travelling on two successive years to play the MENA Championship in the kingdom.

We will continue to lobby the Moroccan government to recognise RL as an independent sport. We are dealing with a hostile Moroccan RU, which has, I’m afraid to say, a willing partner among the French-Moroccan RL community, which makes our path slightly more difficult as the Moroccan government can see RU incorporating RL into its operations. Our first step is to see how Minister Ouzzine reacts to the letter from the IRB stating clearly that rugby league and union are separate sports, and we will respond accordingly. We are prepared to use the European Parliament if needs be, and that will, I think, be our next step.

Q: John Humphries: Can Rugby League Europe help teams in the Republic of Ireland and other European countries more like Germany/Italy?

A:
We can always do more to help countries I believe, and we are constantly striving to provideas much support as we can. The membership will tell you if they think we are performing well or badly. We can help them in a number of ways: providing members with funding; supporting their technical development (one of our fundamental obligations IMO); creating pan-continental international competitions; advising on governance practice; and lobbying for their interests internationally.

Ireland has traditionally been well supported by the RFL but I think the RLEF does need to engage more closely with the Home Nations as we are the European governing body, not the RFL.

Q: Slobodan Manak: Is there any plans for giving full scholarhips for the gifted players U18 from the developing countries like Czech, Serbia, Ukraine, Germany, etc.? So those young players got a chance to study and play RL in England or France. It would be a good boost for the players and the game in those countries.

A: While this is an excellent idea, the practicalities of it – language, cost of lodging, food, the moral and legal responsibility of looking after foreign minors etc - make it extremely difficult. There have been some green shoots, though: for example, the Dragons Catalan had signed MOUs with FIRL to bring two Italian U18 to France to join their scholarship programmes, but the arrangement was pulled by the club at the eleventh hour. Now, two young Italian players are in England, having impressed national team assistant coach Paul Broadbent, and are attending training camps with Leeds Rhinos.

If players are good enough – and due to the relatively small number of Continental RL players compared to the stocks available in, say, England, they need to be very, very good – then if they get spotted by a professional coach it will be up to that coach to do what he thinks he can for the player. Other players have taken this route by themselves: a Saudi player, Rackan Al-Moukhtar, upon leaving school in Jeddah, opted to study in NW England so he could continue developing as a RL player. He’s a gun second row (pictured, training with Warrington Wolves)!

Last year the LRLF and London RL paid for two Lebanese 15-year-old kids to spend two weeks in London. They attended various sessions with the best young players in London and stood out, even playing an age group above, but the difficulties and expense in keeping them over made any longer stay impracticable. One of them, Omar Marhaba, in particular is a really talented lad. Every UK coach that’s seen him has noted his ability.

Q1: International RL Scores & Updates site: We are interested to know what the RLEF is doing to assist the domestic game in each of it's affiliated bodies? It is great to have successful international teams with assistance from 'heritage' players from other nations however to build a strong and healthy rugby league nation consideration must be given to the long term benefits of developing a strong domestic competition which will subsequently produce international players.

A: 2010-17 RLEF strategy, which is on our website in full, is based primarily around making the sport a habitual part of local participants’ lives i.e. embedding RL as a part of their culture.

We maintain this is possible only through the development of local 13-a-side championships and local clubs, and technical education to support those expanding local operations, so that locals are exposed to more RL for longer periods of the year, and are investing more of their time, their moral worth and even their money into RL. We are one year short of reaching the halfway point of our strategy, but there are some encouraging signs:

Club competitions:

- CZE 4 club / 5 match comp in 2010; 10 club / 37 match comp in 2013 [all clubs
- ITA 4 club / 6 match comp in 2010; 10 club / 15 match comp in 2013 [8 clubs
- JAM 8 club / 19 match comp in 2010; 13 club / 51 match comp in 2012
- NOR 3 club / 7 match comp in 2010; 5 club / 19 match comp in 2012
- SER 11 club / 51 match comp in 2010; 17 club / 62 match comp in 2012
- UKR no club comp in 2010; 9 club / 30 match comp in 2012
- MAL no club comp in 2010; 4 club / 6 match comp in 2012
- GRE will begin a five-team club comp this year; HUN played a four-club [registered] competition two weeks ago (9s though), and played in the CZE 9s (and as RL players they were vastly improved since 2012 thanks to specific RL coaching they have received in the interim); LAT will play a four-team comp this year Junior football increases:

- JAM 4 teams playing 9s in 2010; 27 teams / 18 matches + 9s in 2012
- SCO 15 teams / 17 matches in 2010; 39 teams / 49 matches in 2012
- SER 2 teams in 2010; 9 teams / 18 matches + 9s in 2012
- UKR no teams in 2010; 10 teams / 6 matches + 7 9s comps in 2012 [3 age group
- WAL 173 teams / 400 matches in 2010; 239 teams / 577 matches in 2012

Technical development:

- Three-year technical strategy nearing completion
- Self-sufficient tutors who have conducted own courses and are now producing
- These RLEF-trained tutors have qualified [on their own initiative, and using the 13-a-side leagues began in 2013]
- The RLEF needs to consider a part-time technical manager to work with NGB own coaches and MOs in NOR, ITA, SER, UKR, lebanese, CZE, JAM, NED cluster system] local coaches and MOs in BEL, DEN, SWE, UAE, RUS, HUN, BOS, GRE [as well as in their own countries] tutors to oversee / mentor them IMO.

So, in short, we agree with you: local development is the most important element of our work. We provide a stable international calendar as that’s a part of a sporting organisation’s work, but producing clubs and having organisations develop locally is what will eventually produce independent, confident and active local NGBs which are able to show their governments the quantitative mass they need to obtain recognition and funding.

Finally, while we are moving away from giving NGBs grants – we prefer to subsidise activities in line with our strategy, and provide equipment, for example, this year was the first year we have shipped footballs to various parts of our federation – only members can receive cash grants, and to become a member you need to have a club competition. The Czechs and Ukrainians received record central funding this year thanks to their serious local work, while other countries will have funding reduced in 2014 due to their lack of domestic progress. As a policy, we will fund successful local operations as these have more activity and therefore deserve more support. Finally, all members know that achieving Full Membership of the RLIF results in $25k per annum administration grant, and to achieve this status they need significant local operations.

Q2: When/Will we see a structured European Championship both internationally (national teams) and domestically (club teams) with qualifying and so forth. In our opinion that would be a long term structured plan designed to meet the growing number of nations embracing the greatest game of all.

A: I refer you to my answer to Matthew Stansfield’s question, above. In short, and without revealing anything that will be unveiled on 23 August at the RLEF Conference following our AGM, I agree with you about the need to introduce a European Championship for sovereign national teams.

I don’t agree about the utility of a European club championship at this stage. We need to take a generational view on strengthening local competitions before this idea will have real worth.

Some nations – UKR, SER, RUS - have considered it independently but decided not to take it forward as they deemed the return on investment insufficient.

Q: Matt Steele: How long more are Al-Italia committed to sponsoring the RLEF?

A: Sadly, their relationship with RL ended last year. Frankly speaking, this was a collective failing on the sport’s part. In 2010 we had a tremendously successful European Cup and Alitalia doubled their investment as a result, from €25.000 to €50.000. Then we changed our calendar and served up an inferior European Cup involving one less team than 2010 and a B team in the England Knights.

RL needs a calendar that is inviolate to change and that every member believes in. I refer you to my answer re international calendar, above. Stability is key if we are to attract broadcast and commercial partners. If our plan is adopted by the RLEF Council then we will, in theory, be able to approach such partners and show them not only competitions, but also pathways between those competitions, until 2021. That is crucial and the least any serious international sports organisation can offer.

Q: Matt Steele: Given the USA's AMNRL has the CEO of USA Rugby Union on its executive board, would the RLEF allow such a thing to happen in one of its member countries?

A: I think you overestimate the power of the RLEF, Sir. It is not up to us to rule on the consistency of any member’s board. We will promote best practice in the field of governance and we insist on absolute independence in governance, but we cannot or would not want to involve ourselves in local NGB elections. If those elections result in friction or dissension then the RLEF can be involved as a mediator first and arbitrator second, but only after all local resolutions have been explored.

Q: Christopher Sanders: Who's running the whole International Game? Is the RFL or RLEF or the dysfuntional RLIF? And where are the RLWC profits (if any) going to go back to?

A: The RLIF is the governing body of RL and will determine how the profits from the RLWC are distributed, but constitutionally these will be reinvested into the membership.

druzik

Juniors
I'd like to thank Danny for his defense of Poland... Its always difficult to get things off the ground particularly when there is no money or few local resources around. Being personally involved with RL in Poland I can say that the RLEF have been great in giving us advice and for us knowing where we need to be. We will get there eventually.

I think we all know Chris Sanders here anyway, and his question is no surprise, he's been like a broken record saying the same thing over and over again and does not seem to listen to any of the answers hes been given over the years.

CQ Italia

Juniors
it says only four teams six matches (regular season) in 2010 for Italy? I guess an in accuracy. There were 6 teams in 2010 and the firfl numbers (3) were still included due a constitutional change that happened with previous Russian issues. Hence also needed four teams for rlwc qualifiers.

But none of the FIRFL teams are included now (logically) with the firl 8.

Keithwarriors1

Juniors
Hi guys,

Keith here from the Everything Rugby League podcast. Tomorrow night we'll be interviewing Remond Safi, who is the RLEF Regional Director for Middle East and Africa (and also the Americas temporarily).

Feel free to add a question below that you'd like to see asked and we'll do our best to have it answered.

Latest posts