What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asoka De Silva

Anonymous

Juniors
Is it just me or is this guy the poorest umpire on the International Panel?

What made me bring this up is the Simon Katich run out. Sure enough he was out by a couple of inches, but f**k he knew for certain that he was out I'll eat my hat.

I also remember about three really, really bad LBW decisions in the Windies last year.

Opinions?

Iafeta

Referee
Shocker. On a par with Darryl Hair, well, nearly on a par with him.

Ian Robinson though was a lucky charm for Australia also.

Our own Doug Cowie could also push the bar a bit on it.

Anonymous

Juniors
Asoka has total contempt for the concept of "benefit of the doubt". He is however quite consistent, it's just that he is obssessed with giving batsman out wherever possible.

Anonymous

Juniors
He f**ked up again. This time failing to give Martyn out. He does have something against the Australian public :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He also f**ked up with Sangakara's first ball, should have been out LBW.

salivor

First Grade
You can have home umpires in Test matches now can you? They should be members of the ICC ellite panel which Asoka has been kicked off.

El Diablo

Post Whore
True, but they'll have the third umpire. I remember last time we were there the third umpire gave Gilchrist run out despite replays showing him clearly in.

Craig

Juniors
salivor said:
You can have home umpires in Test matches now can you? They should be members of the ICC ellite panel which Asoka has been kicked off.

All neutral.

And they are from the ICC Elite Panel.

Daryl Harper can be a shocker as well, how he gave Langer not out LBW in Brisbane in 2001 off Cairns is beyond me. My brother would of given it out. And he doesnt follow cricket.

broncos2008

Juniors
El Duque said:
Can't wait for the Sri Lankan umpires in the test series :roll:

chief test matches are adjudicated by two neutral umpires so we are saved from the embarrising efforts of de silva and peter manuel

Doctor

Bench
Iafeta said:
Shocker. On a par with Darryl Hair, well, nearly on a par with him

What, may I ask, is wrong with Darrel Hair? Fair enough some of the criticism of Asoka De Silva, I sometimes wonder how he got on the elite panel originally too. But Hair is a pretty good umpire, perhaps not the best on the panel, but hardly worthy of the 'shocker' tag.

There seems to be an impression people have that umpiring is easy. How many have umpired a proper game of cricket? Furthermore, how many have umpired 100 overs in a day, or umpired for five days, 90 overs per day?

It is easy to make criticisms of umpires from the comfort of your lounge chair, or indeed the comparitive comfort of your computer desk, but to get out there and do the job takes a lot more than you think.

I wouldn't want to be an international cricket umpire - far too much pressure and unfounded criticism, even when you get it right.

budz

Juniors
El Duque said:
Can't wait for the Sri Lankan umpires in the test series :roll:
Mate, thats how every other team used to feel coming to Australia before it was neutral umpires. In every country it is a well known fact that there is generally some bias involved especially when a big crowd is involved. Its just like the home side decisions in league.