What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what point should Bird, Taylor be stood down & reinstated?

Tryhard

Juniors
Should players be immediately stood down as soon as an issue is raised & until the issue is quantified (e.g. allegations made, &/or charges laid)?
Should players then be able to play until their cases are finished/judgement s made ?
If a player is found guilty but appeals should they be able to keep playing for their club?

Titanic

First Grade
From whose perspective? Clubs have little choice, players have little recourse while the media and statutary bodies are totally unaccountable.

You could also add "should unproven issues be raised publically?"

hellteam

First Grade
If I was a Titan fan I'd be praying bird gets found guilty so you can sack him, you're better off without him.

ram raid

Bench
The Titans should just sack all these guys and use the $ to build a new team around DCE next year.

The Titans should just sack all these guys and use the $ to build a new team around DCE next year.

Apparently the Titans have about $2.5 mil in cap space for next year. Falloon is off contract end of this year so one could guess that his contract won't get renewed and would count in that $2.5 mil. Next year we would have Mossley/ Srama / Hazard in the Hooker stocks.

If the Titans were to sack both Bird and Taylor they would have close to a $1mil to spend extra over the next 3 years as Bird is contracted to 2017 and I think Taylor is as well ( Taylor could be 2016).

ram raid

Bench
Apparently the Titans have about $2.5 mil in cap space for next year. Falloon is off contract end of this year so one could guess that his contract won't get renewed and would count in that $2.5 mil. Next year we would have Mossley/ Srama / Hazard in the Hooker stocks.

If the Titans were to sack both Bird and Taylor they would have close to a $1mil to spend extra over the next 3 years as Bird is contracted to 2017 and I think Taylor is as well ( Taylor could be 2016).

Sounds good to me. Taylor is a lazy f**k and Bird has been playing below par for a long time now.

Titanic

First Grade
Not particularly a Taylor fan but feel he played his best season last year and was looking forward to him building on that.

As for Bird ... pack up all your cares and woe, off you go

As one of the commentators said on Fox Sports on Monday night, Greg Bird is on his last warning at the Titans. After the incident that saw him stripped of the captaincy he was told by Titans management one more stuff up and his contract would be terminated.

If this is correct, then Bird will fight it on all fronts as no one else in the NRL would touch him.

As to how long Bird, Taylor et al should stood down, in many other industries if you are charged with a crime which could attract jail time, it is not uncommon you will be suspended from attending work until the charge is settled one way or the other.

If Bird and co are reinstated immediately, can you imagine how the fans of the opposing clubs will treat them and what will be said (righty or wrongly)? You will hear it all the time from the crowds which will be heard on any TV/radio coverage and it will be to their detriment, and ultimately to the Titans. No wonder Graham Annesley wants to keep them stood down until the court cases are resolved.

I'm happy to see the guys sit out. They have cost the club so much. One sponsor and a potential sponsor. So loosing that alone has cost the Club potentially over a $1 million dollars approximately as well as the training facilities. I'm happy for Graham Annersley to stand firm and continue to stand them down. If we as a club are truely setting new standards of behaviour for players then this is the line in the sand that needs to be drawn.

boonboon

Juniors
I think what people keep confusing is the court case and their club contracts. It doesn't really matter if the charges are dismissed, or they are found not guilty (note no one is ever found innocent in a court of law). Their is a much higher burden of proof in a drugs charge then in determining if the players have broken their contract buy bringing their club into disrepute.

The club only needs to have a reasonable belief that the player took the drugs then they have brought the club into disrepute.

As for the suspension it isn't an NRL suspension its a club suspension. All this bullshit about the club having to pick them is fanciful. They are required to keep paying them until a suspension is locked down by the NRL but the club has no responsibility to pick any player to play football that is absolutely at the clubs discretion

Latest posts