What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atlanta Legion

juro

Bench
http://www.amnrl.com/news/welcome-atlanta
WELCOME ATLANTA!

Date:

Source:
Brian Lowe & WeAreRugby.

img_9925_1.jpg

Exciting developments for American National Rugby League expansion team Atlanta Legion as it prepares to enter the AMNRL in 2012.
In a major coup, USA Eagle Phil Thiel has expressed an interest in playing with the Legion.

Thiel was the starting hooker on the USA’s national Union team at the Rugby World Cup and has been a regular starter with Life University in the USA Rugby Super League.

In other big news, Australian club Redcliffe has agreed to a player sharing arrangement with the Legion.

The Dolphins, who compete in the Queensland Cup, will be Atlanta’s sister club. As part of the Queensland Cup’s expansion program, Redcliffe will send players to the US to play in the AMNRL and in exchange will host American players in an effort to unearth new talent.

The two developments coincide with another announcement that Legion co-founder and coach Rod Seddon will be spending time with the Ipswich Jets RLC early in the New Year. Seddon, who coached the Hayward Griffins to the USA Division I national championship in 2007, has more recently been coaching the Atlanta Renegades while also serving as president of the Georgia Rugby Union.

“I'll be working alongside Ipswich Rugby League Club to help make the coaching transition from Union thinking and mentality to League thinking,” Seddon told WeAreRugby. “There are different skill sets needed, different rules require different thinking.”

Seddon says the idea is to get the new club headed in the right direction from the get go.

“It was important to not just start a Rugby League club, but to dot all the I's and cross all the T's at the same time. The Atlanta Legion Rugby League Club isn't like most Rugby Union clubs. It doesn't have a committee, it's propriety owned by myself and Leo Buchieri, therefore we don't operate by majority rule.”

He believes that both codes can co-exist harmoniously.

“America offers a new way to think about Rugby League. In America, it can operate alongside Rugby Union,” added Seddon. “There's no hate v love scenario, there’s no Union v League stick in the muds to force players to play one code or the other. A player can play both in the USA on the same weekend. And let’s face it - League is far more closely aligned to American Football then Union ever is.”

Seddon says everyone involved with the new Atlanta club is keen to get stuck in.

“We're really excited to be involved in the AMNRL,” Seddon said. “David Niu [AMNRL president] has been a huge help in making this work for us, and we've been welcomed every step of the way. We're looking forward to being part of something new, something fun and something worthwhile.”

The Legion, to be captained by USA Tomahawk Salesi Tongamoa, will play in the Atlantic Conference and will likely call the Atlanta Silverbacks Stadium home.

the plans sound good if they can pull it off, will most likely become one of the top teams in the amnrl by the sound of things. I am surprised they do not have any jerseys, website, etc.. setup but as I said they do sound ambitious and could easily become one of the top clubs in the US - it's good to see that rugby league is expanding more than ever because we have 2 leagues in the US and I hope an agreement can be reached where we see the top 2 teams from the USARL and AMNRL face off for a US Championship. Good luck to them.

DINGb@T

Juniors
But I can't see how it would help Redcliffe players going to America. The standard can't be anywhere near what the Redcliffe boys would face at home. How is it 'expansion'?

billy2

Juniors
But I can't see how it would help Redcliffe players going to America. The standard can't be anywhere near what the Redcliffe boys would face at home. How is it 'expansion'?
The adventure of a lifetime for a young player, or for an old player at the end of his career.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator

They get the experience of living overseas, get to play Rugby League while they are there and are doing a great service to the game itself.

Spitty

Juniors
If I were a potential Qld Cup players, I'd think that a few weeks in the US would be a great selling point. Even if Redcliffe were going to pay me slightly less.

I think it's a great initiative.

mother rucker

Juniors
Atlanta going to the AMNRL makes no sence. Your would think that they would play for the USARL and start a southern rivalry with Jacksonville. That would also take 2 games out of their season taken care of for both teams. The flights alone will be costly for a new team just starting out. Oh yeah but that may get selected by the AMNRL selectside. Just not for the 2013 WC cause that will be NRL old boys.

Choo Choo

Juniors
Atlanta going to the AMNRL makes no sence. Your would think that they would play for the USARL and start a southern rivalry with Jacksonville. That would also take 2 games out of their season taken care of for both teams. The flights alone will be costly for a new team just starting out.

What you're saying makes complete sense; however, as long as there is a chance of getting selected for the Tomahawks, the AMNRL has the drawing power.

I truly want this all worked out before then and am wishing for the best, but I'm also a realist and know that things probably won't begin to change until after the 2013 WC. So, we'll march forward in 2012 and 2013 and see what happens in the aftermath of the WC.

Rome wasn't built in a day and we have plenty of time to show the world that the USARL has a class organization worthy of acceptance in the international community.

mother rucker

Juniors
What you're saying makes complete sense; however, as long as there is a chance of getting selected for the Tomahawks, the AMNRL has the drawing power.

I truly want this all worked out before then and am wishing for the best, but I'm also a realist and know that things probably won't begin to change until after the 2013 WC. So, we'll march forward in 2012 and 2013 and see what happens in the aftermath of the WC.

Rome wasn't built in a day and we have plenty of time to show the world that the USARL has a class organization worthy of acceptance in the international community.

Yes, I understand hw the discrimination of a countrys players can be a recruting tool.
I'm sure that there is some sort of legal action that can be taken. Unless the AMNRL TOMAHAWKS are a privet team where then they could disctiminate but not be a NATIONAL TEAM

FortyTwenty

Juniors
Yes, I understand hw the discrimination of a countrys players can be a recruting tool.
I'm sure that there is some sort of legal action that can be taken. Unless the AMNRL TOMAHAWKS are a privet team where then they could disctiminate but not be a NATIONAL TEAM
A few players from Boston were distraught when they heard about their ineligibility; especially in lieu of the fact that they're veterans. For them, and their strong sense of nationalism, it was a grievous affront. Nonetheless, as Choo Choo mentioned, the best thing is to forge ahead as professionally as possible; not focusing upon negatives others possess, but the positives we present. Saying as much, all the best wishes to everyone; including the AMNRL, Tomahawks, and the new clubs (in either comp) such as the Atlanta Legion.